Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: CACTUS 4/18/12 BB King's NYC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 am 

First of all, I've never been to BBs. Weird, I know. Stupid easy to get to from the q train.

It was lovely, merch upstairs, then two ways to go, to the bar and bands or to the grill. Since doors were @ 6, 2 hours before the 1st band was set to go on, I assumed many people just decided to have an early goyim type dinner there? I don't know. When I go to a concert, I eat a big ol breakfast around 4 pm, expect to return home at 1, and find my mcdonalds/burger king open. It's more metal. The place was full though. Weirdest thing is, it's not like a rock club, with a stage a few seats and everyone standing in a big room. This place is classy, I'm talking bathroom attendant classy, with tables everywhere. Mostly everyone was seated, is that how all blues clubs are? This my first time inside a non-rock club.

The openers, Rickity (sp?) started on time. Sorta pop/boogie/pysch/hard rock. Lead and back up vocalists, lead and rhythm guitarists. The bass player would be seen again, but in a different outfit. He was alright. I dug them well enough, but I didn't buy the ticket for them.

Finally, sometime before 9:30, with an introduction, Cactus themselves hit the stage. The bassist for the openers took the harmonica mantle, which is interesting. He's proficient on both actually. Carmine had his 2-bass drum set up, one on the left said Carmine and the one on the right said Appice. Fun to stare at that throughout the set. Tim was just on fire, blazing solos, dirty, gritty blues sound. Them boys brought the boogie, here's what I could muster of a setlist: ? (party song?)/Let Me Swim/One Way...Or Another/Poor Brother Bill/You Can't Judge A Book...(said they hadn't played that since fuckin '71)/Alaska/something from V/Electric Blue/(the groover?)/something I should know...into drum solo (score!) into something else I should have known/Parchman Farm to close. I got more than enough of the 1st album, the only one I own to this point, and the others fit right in there. I'm quite glad I went. Should it have been louder? Of course. But I wasn't expecting a tornado to begin with. Definitely got my boogie on, hair's a mess, neck hurts.

Good fucking times. And a Cactus ticket stub for my book? Uh, yeah man!

Post subject: Re: CACTUS 4/18/12 BB King's NYC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:18 am 

I wish I had the extra cash moneys to have gone to that show. Sounds like it was a stone gett-off.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]