Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Killing Joke @ Wonder Ballroom, PDX 12/16/10
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:30 pm 

Fun show! Really good crowd, somewhat rowdier than I would have expected on a Thursday night. Kind of comical when I walked in because they had the room split down the middle, with the "all-ages" side and a "drinking" side. There were like a dozen people on the all-ages side and the side with the bar had like 300+ people crammed in together. It was a rad scene though.

The band and especially Jaz Coleman were in fine form. Much moreso than their last stop here seven years ago. A very nice set, spanning their whole +30 year career. This is what they've been playing at other spots and is pretty much how I remember it:

Tommorrow's World
Love Like Blood
Change
Wardance
Absolute Dissent
Bloodsport
European Superstate
This World Hell
Fall of Because
Ghosts of Ladbroke Grove
Madness
Requiem
Primitive
Great Cull
Asteroid
The Wait
Psyche

Encore:
Pandemonium

I guess they've been playing "Complications" and "Eighties" at some of the other stops but this venue is in the middle of a residential neighborhood, so I imagine there was a curfew in place. They didn't look like they wanted to leave due to the great reaction the crowd was giving them. Sometime in the last week, Youth dropped off the tour and they had some kid playing bass for them. I guess it was the guitar tech. They dedicated a song to Paul Raven, who Jaz said made Portland his residence in the USA near the end of his life (did not know that).

Overall, it was a very deep and inspired performance, especially coming from guys that have been at it as long as they have. I managed to catch Buzzov*en's set later on after this and they seemed pretty forced/contrived in comparision.

Post subject: Re: Killing Joke @ Wonder Ballroom, PDX 12/16/10
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:24 am 

Sounds like a cool gig. But the split-floor is one of the dumbest ideas I ever heard of.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
I managed to catch Buzzov*en's set later on after this and they seemed pretty forced/contrived in comparision.

Interesting observation. I saw Buzzov*en last fall and thought it was good but not great.

I thought KJ was great on this tour, although I wished there had been just a bit more ooomph to their set. But they're old dudes now, I guess I gotta expect that! The setlist was great, absolutely no complaints there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:52 am 

They're clearly in better shape than they were the last time they were here seven years ago. Or at least Coleman is. He quit drinking a few years back. I went to see them at a record signing here in 2003 (saw Jaz up close without any makeup, etc...) and he's is so much better overall shape now. Hopefully it buys them some more time in the future. The new record is fuckin' great!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]