Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Corrosion Of Conformity 3/1/12 Gramercy Theatre NYC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 pm 

w/ Torche, Valiant Thorr, and A Storm Of Light.

Overall an awesome gig. Got there 10 to 7, my first time at Gramercy. Stood on a short line, got some info. on A Storm Of Light from an older couple who were big Neurosis fans. Had a smoke, then they let us in. Quick check, ticket scanned, and off we went. Downstairs there was a bar area and merchandise. Grabbed a drink, and headed to Torche's and COC's areas. Picked up Songs For Singles on CD, haven't heard a note of it yet unless they played some of it, and 2 pins for my bag, and then scored a deluxe copy of COC's newest, also having never heard a note of it, but out of respect to the legacy and the reviews I had read, I figured I should get it.

About at 8, A Storm Of Light came on. Now, I don't know post-metal from a hole in the wall: the only post-anything i even have in my collection would be YOB's post-doom I suppose. I've never heard a note of Neurosis that I'm aware of, and I want to correct that, but I just don't don't know where to start. Do own and enjoy Shrinebuilder though. Anyway, they came on and proceeded to doom the fuck out. It was slow at points which I loved, and defintely atmospheric with the two guitars. I dug it well enough and may look into buying an album.

Grabbed a smoke when they finished, and came back in for Valiant Thorr. Now, VT, I saw/heard for the 1st time last August opening for Pentagram. They do put on a great show. The lead singer at one point came down off the stage hopped the fence and came into the audience, making us sit down and sort of do a row boat action? Strange, fat bearded little man. Unfortunately, I do not dig on their brand of outer space party metal. Something about it comes across as phony to me? Too Andrew WK or something I guess. But I was up front with the "Thorriors" who seemed to be out in droves last night. Barkeep came up to me and asked if I wanted a drink and I didn't say no.

Another smoke after VT, and then back up front for who I was really there to see, Torche. Now, I love their debut, LOVE it. They played mentor and one or two more off of it, and I was happy as shit. Mentor was heavy as (insert noun), and I injured my brain headbanging to that song alone. I wanted to save some neck muscles for COC, but Torche just said fuck that annd opted to destroy me instead. Some Meanderthal was in there, probably some Songs For Singles, and maybe stuff off of the new album or those covers? Not sure. Would love a set list.

One last smoke and then back in for the legends. Got a spot right up front on stage right. They took the stage and slowly got started. The opening was this doomed out introduction instrumental, that was fucking amazing and I don't think is on an album, correct me if I'm wrong. I wasn't sure what to expect or how much I was going to enjoy the set: the only COC I'm familiar with is from Blind onwards. Probably should correct that, but I don't know how much I'd like the early stuff. Not too into punk/crossover metal/hardcore fast type of stuff. I like a little fast/er metal, but not mixed with punk or anything. The set was filled with songs that sounded like a combination of everything from Blind on and what I can only asume was their earlier stuff. Parts were doom, parts were southern rock, parts stoner rock, parts sludge, part punk, part hardcore, all metal. I generally enjoyed each song and was definitely headbanging during the doomy/groovy sections.

Went home hurting in the neck and satisfied and with some goodies and a $4 bottle of water. Had a whopper at 1 something in the morning.

Good times.

Post subject: Re: Corrosion Of Conformity 3/1/12 Gramercy Theatre NYC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:30 pm 

Great review. Only saw Torche and C.O.C. and had an excellent time.

I love the new C.O.C. tape and thought they played great. I was a HUGE fan of theirs during the mid-80's and liked just about everything they did up to and including Blind. I really like the way they're combining their entire musical history into one big thing. They seemed to be having a lot of fun on stage. Got a chance to hang out with them afterwards and they're still some of the coolest dudes you could ever meet. It's not everyday you get to talk to people who like 70's Scorpions as much as Discharge. Can't wait to see them again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 pm 

did C.o.C. open with this? I've seen some recent live videos and this might be the doomy intro you mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 pm 

Sounds vaguely familiar Pinehead. Possibly just because I own that album though...

My short term memory has been utterly destroyed by my having 15 ECT treatments back in '10, so if you posted a video of the intro. song from the fucking show we were JUST at 2 weeks ago, I might not recognize it. My depression really fucked my life up good in a number of ways, but having no short term memory for new memories since I had ECT is one way that I'm still pissed about.

Oh and thanks Woody, glad you liked my shitty review. Did'nt know you were going to the gig, I would have said hello.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:49 am 

SabbathJeff wrote:
Some Meanderthal was in there, probably some Songs For Singles, and maybe stuff off of the new album or those covers? Not sure. Would love a set list.

This show was a week later but should give you some setlist clues, anyway: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19796

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 pm 

Hey thanks terabyte, that's definitely helpful! :) Man, I wish I was back at that show and hearing Mentor again...just crushing. Always wanted to hear that live, glad I finally got the chance.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]