Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: GRAVEYARD 1/12/12 Bowery Ballroom, NYC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm 

1st off, hi to everyone I met and saw. Great chatting with everybody.

Got there about 7:15, waited outside, chatted with a couple I'd never met before. The woman just said "High On Fire shirt!" and off we went. Ha.

They let us in early, and quite frighteningly, didn't check anything. They just asked if we were drinking and put a wristband on those of us that said yes, no ID check, no nothing. I could have had a bong in my bag, they didn't care. Weird, frightening, weird.

Found where the merch was, and when she put out Hisingen Blues I grabbed my copy, having never before heard a note of Graveyard. The album just made too many best of '11 lists not to own. All three Radio Moscow discs were for sale, but I didn't bring enough cash for any of that, unfortunately.

Daniel Davies Band went on around 9:15. I found out that he's the son of Dave davies of the Kinks, which is awesome. Apparently he's in Year Long Disaster, who I've never gotten around around to hearing, and also has done some guitar/vocal work for Karma to Burn, who I love. So I didn't know what to expect from his set, having never heard his solo work before. He played stoner-lite mixed with pop and alternative, is the best way I can describe it. It was...interesting. Not heavy though.

Grabbed a smoke, came back up to see Radio Moscow setting up. I've never heard them before either, and I was quite happy with their set. I'd say they sound like a mixture of Cream's instrumental blues with Mountain's riffs and a peppering of Skynyrd's slide guitar playing. Will definitly look for their albums online, if not at another gig. Not doom heavy, but heavy like 1971. I'm just discovering/getting into this "retro rock" thing, and this was a fine introduction in a live setting.

One more smoke, and came back up to see a packed floor and balcony waiting for Graveyard. They apparently have quite the following. Made my way to stage right, about 20 feet back. Looking at the CD I picked up, they were described on the sticker as Sabbath meets Zeppelin, so I was really looking forward to hearing that. I mean, that's what Soundgarden basically were, but these were 4 swedes in a retro stoner band. They went on around about 11 pm, and the crowd was noisy for them, singing along, shouting "louder!" and "Graveyard!" among other things. The smell of sweet green smoke was in the air, and cups of beer were in everyone's hands, which was rough for me because I promised my cousin I'd do the sober thing with her until March, having started in the new year. Hadn't been tempted until last night, but I kept my promise. Anyway, Graveyard killed, but unlike that sticker on the album, I found them to be more a mixture of Blue Cheer-MC5-Deep Purple-Jimi Hendrix-with Bill Ward on drums. I dug the set, and am glad I picked up the album. Actually going to listen to it now.

Over and out.

Post subject: Re: GRAVEYARD 1/12/12 Bowery Ballroom, NYC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:46 am 

Graveyard's fuckin great. Nice call on the Bill Ward comparison, their drummer is awesome.
I'm goin to see them tonight, i'm stoked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:11 am 
Site Admin

SabbathJeff wrote:
I dug the set, and am glad I picked up the album. Actually going to listen to it now.

Good to see you at the show man, and thanks for the beer. So what did you think of the album after listening to it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:31 am 

Hey JJ; good to see you too. Not a problem on the beer man, what goes around comes around.

As for the album, I liked what I heard, but I need a lot more time with it to decide if I really like it. I listened on headphones, which is what I usually do because the first time I listened to an album the landlord let himself in and told me they couldn't hear themselves talk in the basement, 2 floors below. The only time I listen to music loud is when Im' driving my van, but I'm in NY now and don't drive anywhere except to repark the van. Ah well.

Seems like it's a good headphone album with the two guitar attack. It's nowhere near as heavy as much of what I normally listen to, but that's okay, because sometimes I throw on some brant bjork or neil young or whatever. Specially when I'm baking. Hisingen blues should be a good green album, I think. Top ten of '11? Sure, but i only bought like 5 new albums last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:30 pm 

That review is pretty spot-on.
I took too long to get up front for Graveyard, and the closest I could get was about 10 feet from the stage. My only complaint was that it wasn't loud enough. Other than that, it was a pretty awesome night of rock.

PS...
I got a bit of a Band of Gypsies vibe from Radio Moscow- probably because the songs he taught the new guys were the bluesiest of their catalog (I'm guessing they were the easiest to learn in a couple days). Good stuff, considering I was expecting a mess; that was a nice surprise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 am 

Anybody planning on seeing Graveyard on this tour needs to plan ahead for admission- I saw them in Baltimore and Richmond and I also heard about Philly and DC and all those shows were sold out. Richmond had a line down the block for the 50 available door spots and they were gone in minutes once the door opened. The Richmond show was a rager, packed house, stage dives, people singing along with every song. This band rules.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am 

Hey SabbathJeff, you got quoted on Brooklynvegan! ->

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/01/graveyard_playe.html#more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 pm 

HOLY SHIT! My first non-permission-granted quote! lol Thanks man!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 am 

I got to the L.A. show as Radio Moscow started their set. This was my first exposure to the band, live or recorded. Totally dug what they were doing.

I was looking forward to Graveyard, and they did not disappoint. Unfortunately the crowd did. Man was the vibe shit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 pm 

Im glad this show sold out before I could get a ticket, the crowd was full of jerks the last time they played there. I wanted to see them bad but wanted an excuse not to go knowing what the crowd would be like. I think my friend went and left before Graveyard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:07 pm 

That's a shame about the LA crowd. Both shows I went to had crowds that ruled, especially Richmond. We are lucky, this was the third time Graveyard headlined here and there aren't a lot of posers around in general.

$killit, I went to see Blood Ceremony and Ghost at Rock and Roll Hotel last week, and despite being a totally packed sellout room (I could barely make it inside of the doors in the rear of the venue when Ghost came on), it was still a pretty cool crowd. The crowd for Fu Manchu and Honky the other month was also packed and genuinely enthusiastic- weird for DC!

I'm leaving any minute to see Yob open for Tool, not sure if that crowd's gonna measure up, we'll see...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]