Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: BORIS @ The Casbah, San Diego 11.11.11
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:48 pm 

Boris
Tera Melos
Weatherbox

I arrived with my friend Matt at around 10:15 and the first band, Weatherbox was already playing. We listened to them for all of 10 seconds before we went back to check out merch. They had a fair amount of vinyl, which was either stuff I already had or stuff I didn't want to pay $35 for. The rest of the merch was cool, but the shirts were expensive and not all that great. They had earplugs, which was cool, but I didn't get any.

We sat in the back by the Ms. Pac-Man game for a little bit and listened to Weatherbox. I wasn't paying super close attention to them, but from what I heard it was almost like they were trying really hard to play Vaya era At the Drive-in mixed with early 2000's era Level Plane Records style stuff, but failing miserably at it.

Next up were Tera Melos. I had never heard them before last night, and I definitely need to do them the courtesy of listening to their recorded stuff. It was sort of mathy noise rock stuff, which I sometimes dig, but after a few songs they started to get a little boring. During their set we noticed a guy that was literally passed out (I don't know if he was drunk or just really tired) on a bench. Everyone was walking past him and laughing. Good chuckle.

At this point was when the two of us started to notice that the crowd that was at this show was not what we had expected at all. We were guessing it was going to be more like a Melvins show, and it certainly wasn't. There were full on hippies. Tye died shirts, dreads, etc. There was actually a guy that looked like a cross between a Viking, Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and Jerry Garcia...with tattoos. Totally strange.

After a good 30 minutes of tech's working on stage Boris came out! Finally! They went on at about 11:35.

Two smoke machines begin completely filling the room while they play an electronically fused noisey track. There were tons of people yelling and people actually starting telling those guys to be quiet. There was "shooshing," which I thought was really awesome!

The smoke machines must have been on overdrive and the only lights were very light blue. You could barely see the band. Just as the smoke cleared the music stopped on a dime, Atsuo raised his hand and shouted and they exploded into Riot Sugar. Not super loud, but absolutely dynamite tone. There were people pumping their hands and having a good time. I was very pleased to see that there was no moshing, however, I would be proven wrong as it started up a few more songs into their set.

After Riot Sugar their went into an absolutely perfect recreation of 8. The next two songs were, I believe Statement and Attention Please. They played a lot of stuff off Attention Please. I don't own Heavy Rocks (2011), and I'm sure there were a lot of those tracks thrown in there. Most of the set was their poppy stuff, which I'm okay with. However, I really wish they had played some stuff off Rainbow.

At some point the crowd began the most friendly "mosh pit" I've ever seen. I guess that's what you get when the guy that starts it is a full blown hippie. I wouldn't point this out, but it was just so bizarre that I can't help it.

The rest of the set was absolutely dynamite, wish I was better at remember exact setlists though. They played Pink and I don't know what they closed with, but it was absolutely the loudest and heaviest thing I think I've ever seen. If anyone was at the show please let me know what the name of that song is, cause it was awesome.

Boris absolutely killed.

Post subject: Re: BORIS @ The Casbah, San Diego 11.11.11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:09 pm 

I'm seeing Boris for the first time next year when they tour here. Starting to get really pumped given all the positive live reviews I've been reading.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]