Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Pentagram Earthride Backwoods Payback Iron Man 11.5.11 MD
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:32 pm 

Last night November 5th 2011 Krugs in Frederick MD cemented its place in my heart as one of the gnarliest joints to see a show at on the east coast.

The LAURA HEINZMANN BENEFIT SHOW went off and let me tell you....it may go down as one of the shows of the decade for this genre of music.

2pm-2am
10 bands
Reunions
Legends
Old Favorites
New Favorites
From top to bottom the thing was slamming....here is my take on it for those that couldn't be there...

BACKWOODS PAYBACK-
Things got off to a little of a late start (2:30pm) and we were more than happy to warm it up...I said it yesterday...”I’m at Krugs, its daylight outside, and I’m not fall down drunk while jamming...where and who am I?”

WEED IS WEED -
Dave Sherman, Johnny Wretched and Gary Isoms new(ish) band was up next and the crowd continued to grow. Boogie Swamp Music is what I told Sherm it feels like to me. Alligator Stomp sticks in your head for days and the 3 guitar punch in the face rules the school. They had a demo floating around a few months back...hopefully a full length on the way in a hot minute. Nice to see Gary up front jamming a SLIDE GUITAR as well!

PALE DIVINE -
Fellow Chester County PA boys took it to it as the third band and brought the DOOM...LOUD. The "Doom Master General" (as a handsome man was heard to say) Chris Kozlowski was the man in charge of getting the tunes heard all day and let me tell you...he got them HEARD. Biggest PA I have seen outside of a major venue like the Trocadero or Jakks, and it was KILLING IT. Pale Divine jammed as a three piece (my favorite way) and peppered in the classics with what sounded like a new song for good measure. Ended with "Amplified" and that tune was then stuck in my head for the rest of the day!

EARTHRIDE -
Mr. Sherman returned to the stage with his steady workhorse in tow and the mighty Earthride proceeded to tear the fucking roof the place. Opening with "Taming of the Demons" the crowd was immediately engaged and the singalongs began. The songs off of Something Wicked flowed seamlessly into the anthems everyone has loved for years. 12 years to be exact as Sherman later told the crowd....but the highlight of their set for me wasn't the endless tone from Kyle, the wicked ass drumming from Eric, its wasn't the thud from their new bass player (whos name slips my mind at the moment..but he nailed it!)...no, for me it was the unveiling of the newest move in the ever evolving bag of trick of one Mr Dave Sherman.

We have seen him ride the "Doom Cycle"
We have seen him hammer the "Doom Nails" into the coffin
The lucky few have seen him deal the "Doom Card" from the deck
....and now...he unleashes upon the world...the "Doom Speedbag" (quote me on that)
training to fight the devils inside of him by warming up on the "Doom Speedbag"....amazing

ADMIRAL BROWNING –
I have to admit up front, I love Admiral Browning. I love them as people, I love them as musicians, I love them as entertainers. And last night, believe it or not, I loved them as…singers? The Frederick MD trio has been known throughout their career as Instru-Metal, but last night they unveiled an EPIC featuring duel vocals, swaying clean passages, and enough prog to make Rush scratch their collective heads. They ended with their Buddy Rich tribute, and it was awesome. I think, after touring alongside of the Admiral for a few weeks earlier this year, that Admiral Browning could be the heirs to the Process of Weeding Out’s throne.

TRIFECTA –
Trifecta was up next and having never heard them I was pleasantly surprised. They jammed fantastically and fit right in with the feel of the day. I even heard a little “classic rock” sensibilities in there, and look forward to jamming on the demo they gave me today. Good dudes too.

IRON MAN –
This was my first time seeing Iron Man with Dee on vocals, and he KILLED IT! Great frontman for these guys and really made the tunes sore. Al Morris has to be in my top 10 guitarist jamming today. The smoothness of his riffs, the clarity of the leads and really the overall bad-assness the man conveys on and off stage is nothing to be fucked with! Louis relayed a story about their trip to Las Vegas to Rylan (Backwoods Payback guitarist) that absolutely solidified Iron Mans places a living legends in this family of music. Ask Louis when you see him…its worth it!

WAR INJUN –
Kyle from Earthride had told me about his other band War Injun a while back but I had not had the chance to check them out….until last night….HOLY FUCK! Heavy, crushing guitars, over the top vocals (clean but aggressive and perfect really). The crowd was into every moment of the set and the band returned the energy ten fold. Their drummer seemingly destroyed his kit. I am actually surprised there were not shards of wood left on the stage when they were done…awesome

PENTAGRAM –
This is how this band should be seen. Small room, packed out, diehards all around. Having the chance to see them a few times in the past and jam with Pentagram earlier this year, I can honestly say that last night they were on fire and the best I have ever seen them. Victors tone was insane and Bobby sang like he was 22 years old. Alive, wild, posing, hitting notes a man that has lived his life should in no way be able to hit…absolutely one of the highlights of the year. The songs off of Last Rites fit in perfectly with the old familiars and the crowd (which had swelled to its height) screamed every word fittingly. The 13 song set ended with “When The Screams Come” which has evolved into an end jam/decent/build/epic ending to give the best a run for their money.

….after only getting 4 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours, I unfortunately had to bust it before Internal Void went on, but I can only imagine they killed it….they had to…they rule! I can’t imagine a show like this happening again any time in the near future and it was for a worthy cause.

As the band bracelets that night said, “cancer sucks”.
This family of artists/musicians/friends/fans however has not, does not, and probably never will and days like yesterday make me proud to be a part of it.

Post subject: Re: Pentagram Earthride Backwoods Payback Iron Man 11.5.11 M
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:58 pm 

Awesome review, thanks!
War Injun and IV are back? Nice...
Who sang for Admiral Browning? Fezz and Matt? I was playing the cd for a friend yesterday and he asked me "wheres the vocals?"...

Post subject: Re: Pentagram Earthride Backwoods Payback Iron Man 11.5.11 M
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:25 am 

I heard Krug's was under new ownership. Are they still going to be doing shows like this? This is an amazing lineup. Awesome that you got to play this one. What a list of bands!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]