Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Fatso Jetson, Secret Samurai @ Bar Pink 10/27/11 San Diego
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 pm 

What a fuckin' treat!
I haven't seen Fatso in probably 6 or 7 years. Definitely haven't seen them since Mario slimmed down. Took a little solo trip into town to see them do their work. The bar was great. Good beers on tap. The show was FREE. And I got there a little early which allowed me to walk two doors down the sidewalk where I was able to watch the last 4 innings of the Series while stuffing my face with the best tater tots I've ever had.

Secret Samurai opened up and immediately set the standard for what would be an exhibition in guitar mastery. They even finished with an homage to Sort of Quartet by covering one of their old songs. Mario was stoked and rocked out the whole set. I didn't get too many pics of those guys but in standard surf band fashion, they were all wearing similar motocross jerseys. The drummer was even wearing goggles for a bit. Great surf rock from these hometown heroes.

Fatso Jetson set up, turned on, and immediately blew the doors off the place. There is a reason these guys are so highly respected. I've never seen them play a bad show, and this one was heavy. They only played about an hour, and when they tried to stop, everyone made them play one more, so they ended with a blistering version of Rail Job. Killer show all around, but I do have one complaint. As much as I think Vince is an awesome addition to the band, I don't need to hear the sax on almost every song. The songs that he plays harp on are geared for that and they're great. And a lot of the other songs work with the sax, but there were parts of the show where he was playing over some of the classics and drowning out the guitar. Is it too much to ask Vince to take a break every now and then? Drink a beer? Catch his breath? Let the 3 piece work their magic? I dunno. I guess it's kinda nit-picky. And it ain't my band. Other than that minor complaint, it was a great night and I hope they come back more often.

Post subject: Re: Fatso Jetson, Secret Samurai @ Bar Pink 10/27/11 San Die
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:42 pm 

nice review! hard to belive i havent seen them since the winter up here in LA, gotta change that!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]