Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Whitey, Kings Destroy, Blue Aside - PA's Lounge, 10/1/11
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:19 am 

When I showed up at PA's, the first band, Van Walton, was on. Someone outside remarked that they sounded like a "junior high school Oi band", so I decided to play it safe and hang out on the sidewalk shooting the shit until they were done. I can deal with a lot of shit but junior high Oi music ain't one of 'em.

Blue Aside were next. They played their brand of laid back doom to an appreciative audience. These guys have some weird stuff going on for sure. The songs are all generally long, but they seem even longer than they are, and not in a bad way. I could've sworn they played one song for like a half hour, but I'm pretty sure it was more like 15 minutes. Some of the stuff is very hypnotic and repetitive, which I can dig. The crowd really dug 'em.

Kings Destroy, to me, sound like a mix of early Ozzy-era Sabbath, Trouble and Clutch, which is a pretty damn good mixture of bands. They delivered their set with no nonsense, just one song after another, riff after riff. They definitely looked like they were having a good time, and the crowd seemed to dig them as well. Not sure if people knew who they were beforehand, but if not then Kings Destroy made some converts at this show.

And then Whitey closed out the night. Whitey is one of my favorite bands in Boston right now. They're just really primitive, like a mix of early Mudhoney, the Cows and some blind bluesman who plays a detuned one string guitar. Dirty, fucked up and drunk, their set ended with Kyle the drummer throwing a drum stick at the singer's head and then the singer dismantling everything on stage. Yeah, rock 'n roll is ugly sometimes, and sometimes it's a mess, but that's how some of us like it. Not saying it's good for ya, but that's how it goes. Simon Cowell would be fucking horrified, which is how it should be.

Post subject: Re: Whitey, Kings Destroy, Blue Aside - PA's Lounge, 10/1/11
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:30 am 
Site Admin

Nice dude. Sounds like a hell of a night. Kings Destroy have gotten to be really killer live, it's always awesome to see them play.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:39 am 

yeah, it was a good time. kings destroy sounded good, people were into them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:33 pm 

I'm jealous people get to see Whitey and none of those people are me.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]