Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: KYUSS 9/23/11 Terminal 5 NYC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:58 am 

Whoa. Just got back and finished a double whopper. My neck's numb. Let me try and recount this. SPOILER ALERT - This won't be a good review like our taskmaster, but it's my fucking review. So read and enjoy.

Got to Terminal 5 early, maybe 15 minutes before doors. Had a cigarette and impatiently waited the festivities. They let us in, checked us a bit too closely, and off we went.

Last time I was at Terminal 5, which was the first time I was there, was for Sleep back in June. Then, they had the downstairs closed off, and they sent us all up the stairs to the third floor for smoking and drinking; then a wait, then they let us downstairs. There was a huge line for merchandise when I finally got downstairs that night.

This time, the downstairs was open, and right on the right side of the hallway was the merchandise. Very minimal line. I picked up a shirt and a beer cozy (in March I picked up a Saint Vitus cozy: what do I need with two beer cozies? Am I collecting them?) and then I stepped down to the end of the counter where Monstro's merchandise was, skipping over The Sword's area. Picked up Monstro's debut album (and will be listening to it after I type this thing for you).

Had a couple drinks at the main bar, then made my way up front toward the bass amps for Monstro. They sounded great; it was my first time hearing any of those songs, and I was glad I didn't skip them. The bass was not loud enough for my liking, but I'm glad I stood where I stood. Their sound was a mix of Torche mostly: slightly faster and crunchier riffing, Juan on the psychedelic guitar solos. There were two songs in a row that deviated a bit from the core sound: one sounded like something Queens Of The Stone Age would write, and one was very Alice In Chains-ish. I enjoyed both, and all of the set. The drummer had long black hair, remember that.

Had to walk to the third floor for a smoke as there's no re-entry, then came back down and waited. Now, The Sword. I'll tell you write off the bat: I'm not a fan. My ex turned me onto them; I bought their debut. She now owns it. I listened to it a few times, but not really at all after the initial why should I be listening to this phase. I find their riffs, their tones, and their songs to be generic. I feel like I've heard it before, and better. Live, I had the same feelings. The riffs weren't heavy, except for 15 seconds near the end of the second to last song where the room was vibrating. From what I recall, a paltry two guitar solos; I thought they could have used many more considering their lack in songs. Oh well. I'll watch 'em again live if they're on a bill with someone else I want to see, but I'm not buying any more albums. And hey, if that's all harsh, it's just one man's opinion. The drummer had long black hair, remember that.

Grabbed another smoke, and came back down for the main show. Place was packed. Could not for the life of me get up front. I settled for as decent spot in the middle closer to Bruno's side, who I really wanted to see. Finally, they came on. Don't know the names of any songs by heart aside from Green Machine, the closer, but I feel like they played an even mix of all three main albums. John was cool in his shades, and did quite a funny dance throughout the night. I can't even describe it. Sort of Cerebral Palsy-ish; but what the fuck, the man can SING, and that's all I needed from him. Nick was fine, knew all the songs, and laid down a pretty heavy backbone throughout their set. Brant was the man: just grooves on top of grooves. The drummer, you guessed right, had long black hair. I found that interesting.

That was the night. Good show, in spite of the second act. Next up, Boris in October at Irving Plaza. Yee haw.

Post subject: Re: KYUSS 9/23/11 Terminal 5 NYC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:45 am 

Kyuss ruled.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:37 pm 

Kyuss set list best I can remember and not in order:

Gardenia
Hurricane
Thumb
One Inch Man
Freedom Run
Asteroid
Supa Scoopa and the Mighty Scoop
100 Degrees
Odyssey
Conan Troutman
Whitewater
El Rodeo
Spaceship Landing
Allen's Wrench
Green Machine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:30 pm 

this was maybe the best show i've ever seen by any band. if you miss them on this tour you're foolish. go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:17 am 

scarab cadaver wrote:
this was maybe the best show i've ever seen by any band. if you miss them on this tour you're foolish. go.

I just got back from seeing them in Dallas - I expected them to be good based on the reviews I've read, but I wasn't expecting them to incredible. Right up there with Sleep last year, show of the year for sure. We were right up by Bruno, the guy have a more gnarly tone than Josh, but he was excellent. Nick did all of the Reeder stuff fantastically!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:32 pm 

Saw this show last night here in San Diego. It was fucking stupendous. Black Cobra opened, and they were so heavy, I felt bad for the Sword. Then the Sword played and they were excellent. Then Kyuss Lives came out and proceeded to level the place. So fucking good. All kinds of shit off Sky Valley and Nick killed it. They all did, actually. Bruno is a bad motherfucker. And just seeing John and Brant do their deal was so damn cool I wish I would have gone to the Pomona show a month ago.

Can't wait to hear what goes down at the Wiltern tonight with the "special" guests. I'm sure it will be one to remember.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]