Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: PENTAGRAM Le Poisson Rouge NYC 8/21/11
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:22 am 

Yee haw, it's 2 am and here's my shitty attempt at a review of the night's festivities.

Got on line at 6 pm, after a slice of pizza and a coke. Nobody was there.

Waited like an hour and 20 minutes until finally the guys came out and let us in. By then there was a line.

Walked downstairs into a room I had never been in before, but luckily there was a bar. Had 2 vodka and cranberry juices, then a guinness. What's funny is that the guinness was a dollar more than the mixed drinks.

Around 8:30, they told us to go into the main area, finally.

ELKS were setting up, and I walked to where the merch. was. Scored a new Pentagram shirt, When The Screams Come DVD, and a pin, which I immediately placed on my bag with all of the others.

ELKS start. Sort of Kylesa-esque with Lemmy vokills, from two different singers. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.

They finish, and I go out for a smoke. Who's there smoking? Bobby Liebling is there smoking. I shook his hand, thanked him for all the music, and chatted for two minutes. He said he was dog tired (was this the last show of the tour?) and that he missed his wife. He told me they'd be playing mostly old stuff, so I was super stoked. Thanked him again, and went back in.

Valient Thorr were up next. Sort of like a cross between Iron Maiden/Motorhead and The Sword/Torche. Again, not real ly my cup of tea, but a nice intro. for the Ram. I know they've been around awhile, and they're tightness showed.

Couple more drinks, and my namesake Jeff The Brotherhood are setting up. I have no idea of how to describe their sound. It was like pysch mixed with punk and Sabbath and The White Stripes. Whatever that means. Again, not my cup of tea, but soon it was time for the main event.

One more drink, one more smoke, and finally around 11:30 pentagram comes one. Bobby didn't look tired at all, and as it was my first time seeing them, I was glad. They proceeded to tear through all the classicis, and a few off the new album. When The Screams Comes, Forever My Queen, All Your Sins, they were all in there. Needless to say, both my neck and my throat hurt.

Yeah, I could've skipped all 3 openers, but fuck it, I bought the ticket, so I wanted to get my money's worth.

JJ, sorry you couldn't make it. Beerjerk, pleasure meeting you.

Over and out.

Jeff

Post subject: Re: PENTAGRAM Le Poisson Rouge NYC 8/21/11
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Nice dude, appreciate the quick post. I'd heard Pentagram were playing old stuff (probably in GenDisc, now that I think about it), so it's cool to see that was the case.

Hope to catch the next one, and in the meantime, glad they were worth sitting through the opening acts for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm 

Pleased to meet ya SabbathJeff!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 pm 

Valient Thor-great energy but not my cup of tea.

Jeff and the brother hood-were better than expected. Loved his guitar tone.

Pentagram-great show as usual.

But I am getting old as I cannot deal with these young drunk sweaty idiots moshing while I am trying to watch a show. No need to mosh to Pentagram.

Young stupid idiots that rather mosh than listen to music!

But overall, glad I went.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:30 am 

Moshing during Pentagram = ridiculous. Completely unnecessary.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 am 

Yeah, I don't really get the point of moshing at any of these stoner or doom shows. Black Breath, or Lair Of The Minotaur, that I could understand.

Don't get me wrong, I was headbanging like a giddy teenager for Forever My Queen and All Your Sins, but moshing? Agreed, unnecessary.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:48 am 

I saw these guys last Friday. Isn't Pentagram just Place of Skulls with Bobby fronting the band? I know their drummer is Tim Tomaseli(sp?) and I thought their bassist was Lee Abney?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 pm 

it's not quite place of skulls. greg turley, who was in pentagram in the late '80s or early '90s, is the bassist again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 am 

Gary Isom's out of Pentagram already?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]