Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: High on Fire, Lesbian, Deadkill @ Neumo's, Seattle 8/13/11
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:01 pm 

This was a one-off show (no other High on Fire shows around this) that was billed as the "Seattle Tattoo Expo After Party". The Sword had come up and played the same venue the night before as the after-party for this with Brothers of the Sonic Cloth.

I showed up at 9 PM and the first band, Deadkill, was slated to start at 9:30 PM. There is a pretty large bar/drinking area in the level above the stage at Neumos, but you can still hear everything really well up there, so I headed up and got a stool and took in the remainder of the Red Sox/M's game.

When I finally heard Deadkill play from upstairs, it was apparent they really weren't my thing at all. "Rah-rah" style of hardcore. Weird band to put on this bill of otherwise brutal, crazy, riff-based metal.

I definitely headed down to see local prog-metal masters Lesbian. I'm very familiar with all of the Lesbian albums and from what I could tell, they just played a single, new song over their allotted 45 minute set. It was pretty damn cool, over that time, they must have changed things up between 15-20 times. They're like Deathspell Omega if they were hippie stoner dudes instead of French satanists, or YES as conducted by Cthulu. Subterranian, serptentine and heavy! They had really won over the locals too, definitely the most people I've ever seen them play in front of. The whole room was full, probably 300-400? Definitely a good crowd.

The mighty High on Fire were up next, with the room getting steadily more packed/drunk. A fun show as always and they are consumate/old pros at this point. I'm always amazed at how badass Des Kensel is. Good setlist, they opened with Blood from Zion, Frosthammer, Devilution and then went into two or three tracks from the last two album(s). After that they played Speed Wolf and Hung, Drawn and Quartered (which seemingly baffled about 80% of the crowd), which were the highlights of the show for me. Then came Rumors of War, Fireface and they closed with Snakes for the Divine. I'm not as into the more anthemic stuff of their mid-period, I want to see Matt RIFF, but that last song in particular (Snakes) really does a great job of melding their trademark sound with a catchy chorus (RISE UP, FALL DOWN) and was a great way to close the evening. It was cool to see them headline a room the size of Neumo's with a crowd completely behind them. They've done it the right way and will always be one of my all-time favorite bands. Still a hell of a lot of fun live to boot, but different than the early off-the-rails dive bar shows.

Post subject: Re: High on Fire, Lesbian, Deadkill @ Neumo's, Seattle 8/13/
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:43 am 

Nice, and there's already video online.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:12 am 

Yeah, there it is! Pretty much the highlight for me. And like I said 'Snakes' was really awesome too. Those poor little camcorder mics cannot convey how massive it really sounded/felt, but most the experience is right there. That's another thing, I never really thought much of Neumo's before, but they totally had the sound dialed in correct that night. For both bands I saw, it was really clear and loud as fuck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:31 am 

Spot on review Mr. Red! Nice seeing you for a split second ;)

http://www.shinymama.com/lesbian_highonfire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:47 am 

Nice review.

Surrounded By Thieves tracks are always my favorite material of theirs to see them play live. The first time I saw them was just prior to the release of that album at the Balcony in Philly and all they played was material from that album plus Blood of Zion and Fireface. At the time I was bummed they didn't play more from Art of Self Defense and less from the album that had yet to come out. Now I wish I could get a repeat of that concert and see them play a setlist full SBT's material.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:57 am 

Adam wrote:
Nice review.

Surrounded By Thieves tracks are always my favorite material of theirs to see them play live. The first time I saw them was just prior to the release of that album at the Balcony in Philly and all they played was material from that album plus Blood of Zion and Fireface. At the time I was bummed they didn't play more from Art of Self Defense and less from the album that had yet to come out. Now I wish I could get a repeat of that concert and see them play a setlist full SBT's material.

Thanks. I was rather spoiled, as all PNW/Bay folks were as far as the early HOF days go. They did a tour where they played the whole SBT album with a couple of the first albums songs and I managed to see three of those shows! Pretty fucking awesome! This was before the album was even recorded and I was posting on sr.com that it would be the album of the decade/century and stuff like that based on the killer material I heard, so I was bit gutted when I eventually heard how the production on it ended up sounding. All those tunes fucking smoke though, no doubt about that.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]