Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Sleep - L.A. 6/26
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 am 

Posted this in GD, but figured better done on the proper board:

L.A. Show was brilliant. Have not heard Wino's new band until last night. Good stuff. Not sure which song it was, but I'm certain that one of the 2 female back-ups laying out the "ooooo"s is the singer from Black Math Horseman.

Harvey Milk blew my mind. If the show ended there I would have been happy. Seriously, they are that good.

Fortunately the show did not end there, and out comes Matt Pike and co. giving us a large dose of Dopesmoker, followed by choice cuts from Holy Mountain, then more Dopesmoker, and more Holy Mountain, and my fucking brain was mush and I was so happy and the world made sense and then the shit was done and the world sucks.

Post subject: Re: Sleep - L.A. 6/26
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:26 am 

"Dopesmoker" as the opener was fucking EPIC. I was stuck in hellacious traffic for hours and I walked in to the theater right as they started playing. Crushingly HEAVY. And what an incredible venue the Wiltern is. I had no idea that theater was so beautiful.

Also worth nothing were the copious clouds of pot smoke rising up from the crowd during "Dragonaut".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:20 pm 

Yeah, agree with both of you.
I too drove for hours, up from San Diego. Listened to Dopesmoker twice (back to back) on drive up. Also Holy Mountain.
Well worth it.
Epic show. Missed first two bands.
Got there just as HM was finishing up, so plenty of time for Sleep.
The mushroom clouds of exhaled smoke as soon as Matt started playing Dopesmoker riff was crazy. Did a bunch of people hold it together for just that moment? One big ass dude? Seriously, that was a very well planned and executed dopesmoke exhalation. I saw a few of them and it made me smile, and I don't even smoke. And I never smile.
Speaking of which, did you notice Matt smiling from time to time? I don't mean the leering type smile he usually does. I mean it was like he was really enjoying it. Seemed pleased, that was great to see.
That New Song, Antarctica Thawed, or whatever it is called, was Epic. I hope they record that. It was awesome. Just a killer show all around. We saw them at the FYFest last Fall and this show was better. Not knockin' the other one, just sayin.
Jason's drumming was great too. Really drove Dopesmoker along.
Reminded me how much I dig that band. Great show!
Then on the way home I played Jerusalem just for a change of pace.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:53 pm 

I've never seen Sleep until Sunday, but I've seen HOF many times. Matt flashes that semi-toothless grin repeatedly at every show I've been to. It normally strikes me as a bit evil, but at this show, from my angle, it was pure mischievous joy, like he just got away with some harmless misdemeanor.

I had my 2 boys with me, so by the time Al laid his resonating bass on the monitor and Sleep left the stage, it had been over 4 hours and my 9-yr old was spent (judge me not, he loved the show). Was there an encore?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:56 pm 

You'd have to be completely fucking high to miss Harvey Milk. What a waste.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:02 pm 

Knew I would dig Harvey Milk but didn't know they would fill that room with sound and keep the audience into it the whole time.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]