Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Melvins - The Paradise, Boston, 6/4/11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:13 pm 

At this point, there is really no need at all to write a Melvins live review, so basically this is going to be a little reminder of how this band stands head and shoulders above pretty much any band out there right now. And Buzz, if you’re reading this for some unknown reason, I don’t care if you approve of my liking your band or not, I don’t care if you hate me for being a fan of your music, I don’t care if you think it’s stupid that I banged my fucking head like I was sixteen years old and heard “Angel of Death” by Slayer for the first time. Go ahead and hate me and all your other fans if you want, we will still show up to see you and Dale and the rest of the guys lay waste to every living thing out there, because I don’t know if there’s another band that sounds like this. The sheer heaviness of the guitar and bass combining to create a wall of fuzzed out sludge that you could almost see hanging in the air is unlike anything any other “metal” band is doing. The Melvins are one of thee best doom bands around, when they decide to play doom. “At the Stake” proved that fact once and for all, just a mammoth, grinding, lurching beast of a song that renders 99.9% of doom bands irrelevant. “Boris” just banged the final nail in the coffin. Are you fucking kidding me? Can you even quantify the heaviness of this shit? Every once in a while Buzz would let loose some retardedly amazing Gonzoid guitar solo that sounded like Alvin Lee had just made a guest appearance on stage, only to be followed by more waves of sludge and feedback. Was there a pit? Yes, there fucking was. Because when the Melvins launch into riff hymns such as “Revolve” and “Sweet Willy Rollbar”, your body can’t help but react, there’s just no way a living, breathing person can stand still and not headbang or just lose it completely and go batshit crazy.

Look, this review is pointless, I know that. But I felt that I just had to write something about this show due to the sheer epicness of it. These guys aren’t going anywhere for a long, long time, so get used to the fact that the Melvins will be releasing new albums and touring for years to come; at least that’s what they showed last night. They are as vital and relevant as any new band that just started playing. Pioneering. Groundbreaking. Genius. These are words that get tossed around way too much to describe bands that do not deserve the accolades, but the Melvins deserve any and all praise thrown their way. And Buzz, if you don’t like it, that’s just too fucking bad.

Post subject: Re: Melvins - The Paradise, Boston, 6/4/11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 am 

!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:36 am 

tastelikedirt wrote:
!

exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:56 am 

Not pointless at all. You could have done the usual "Run late, just arrived after the headliner started, here's what I remember of the selist"-routine that most of us do if we care to write a review (myself included). But this was much more fun to read and seems to nail the feel of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:34 pm 

thanks. i just kind of feel that after all this time there's really nothing left to say about the melvins, but this show proved me wrong. i mean, after 25+ years, these guys are still delivering the goods. just awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:58 am 

so they're cool again? I forget.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:51 am 

Damn right. I took "Bullhead" for a spin last night under the right conditions and I'm always reminded that they're in a league of their own.

"Boris" is the standard by which all music that desires to call itself "heavy" should aspire to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 am 

Killer Review, and thanks for reminding me.
Melvins Lite are playing here in San Diego Monday. Three piece, with Trevor Dunn on bass.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]