Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Orange Goblin 5/28/11
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:04 pm 

Orange Goblin/The Gates Of Slumber/Naam/Kings Destroy rocked Santos Party House in Manhattan last night. Here's my shitty attempt at a review.

Hi to JJ, JJB, Devil Dick, Sean, that kid in the High On Fire shirt, and anyone I'm forgetting. It was great meeting all of you. Also got to shake hands with Ben Ward and thank him for coming back to the states. Think I got a "Cheers, mate."

Kings Destroy went on around 7:50, after I had had about 5 vodka and cranberry juices in celebration of this glorious night. They were riffy; the best I can attempt to say they sound like a combination of Clutch and Weedeater. Weird, I know. Wish I had picked up their album when it was for sale. Never saw them before, and enjoyed their albeit brief set.

Next up was Naam, who I saw open for Weedeater in February. They had a keyboard player this time with them, and he filled out their sound nicely. Psych-doom all the way.

Then The Gates Of Slumber, who I had never seen before either. I was psyched, based on reviews for The Wretch I knew I was going to get some low and slow doom. They played some mid-paced tunes as well. Thoroughly enjoyable set, and a great opener for what was coming next.

Finally, at I think 11pm, Orange Goblin hit the stage. I've been a fan for ten years or more, and was really looking forward to finally seeing them. They played a great mix of tunes, got some early stuff, got later stuff. Some you win, some you lose was in there, and an encore of Scorpianica, which was riighteous. I was nice and buzzed by the time they went on too, so I was able to cut loose and really enjoy the riffage.

Great gig overall. Walked away with the OG box set, and OG shirt, and The Wretch.

See you all at Sleep next month.

Post subject: Re: Orange Goblin 5/28/11
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:33 pm 

Thx for the review! I'll be seeing this tour in less than a week (Albuqeurque), and I am greatly looking forward to seeing the Goblin boys et al.

If only we could've scored the opening slot...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:43 am 

I drove down from Boston to see the show but the venue wouldn't let me in... I could hear the bands when I was standing outside. The keys in the Naam set sounded cool! Bummer I couldn't see them though.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:14 pm 

Why couldn't you get in... under 21?

If so, you should've asked in advance (on The Obelisk), because that venue cards harder than any other in NYC, except for the real big places. I saw a woman who was probably 60 almost not get in, because she had no ID. I mean, she was old enough to be the bouncer's mom, and it took some serious convincing for him to give her a "one-time break".

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:08 am 

The guys in front of me in line had pills in their backpacks. I guess they thought I was with them.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:20 pm 

Orange Goblin ruled at Deathfest, great to have them in the US again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:20 pm 

oodum wrote:
The guys in front of me in line had pills in their backpacks. I guess they thought I was with them.

Fuck, this is stupid. Is all of the US so hung up on little rules?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm 

LA show was great last night. The Goblin boys have sold out of all merch on this tour. The only thing on the table was the US tour t-shirt, which was only available in a few of the smaller sizes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:44 pm 

Is all of the US so hung up on little rules?

No. That is probably one of the shittier venues when considering security... they act like an arena, but the place holds a couple hundred.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:53 am 

ron wrote:
Is all of the US so hung up on little rules?

No. That is probably one of the shittier venues when considering security... they act like an arena, but the place holds a couple hundred.

There was also a bust at Santo's last fall and they almost got shut down which probably explains why they're so draconian now.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/11/s ... _drug.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:10 am 

hmmm, I've just discovered Gates of Slumber due to this tour inbound Seattle Friday. How them? I guess I'll venture down there. Really cool to have the Goblon around these parts! A double whammy w\GoS this time would be a bonus. How is GoS this time around? -hitting on all cylinders?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:39 am 

Orange Goblin had the same setlist in Portland as they did in LA minus "Quincy" - I think they ran out of time and had to cut it because it was on their written setlist.

If you like the slow as shit doom TGOS do per album, go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:47 am 

Well...I went to Portland/Seattle/Chicago....got my shit rocked 3 days in a row. Quincy The Pigboy was played second. Each night they had the same set list sitting on stage but they changed the order of that song.

I thought Gates of Slumber were pretty fucking rad....IF THEY TURNED EM UP! Portland show they were just average loud and then Seattle when I had said something to the drummer...they were still super quiet until the last 2 songs or so. AND he told me they'd gotten that complaint the whole tour. Maybe it's just me that wants everything so loud I can feel it...

Was really sad when I read right here the day before I left for Chicago that Solace had broken up....was giddy when they got added to that show....then sad that it wasn't Nachtmmystium that broke up.

The Orange Goblin guys were super cool and rocked it out. I think I might have freaked em out a little that I was traveling on a plane and seeing them 3 times but they were very gracious to a big dork that was just giddy to see them again. Ben said new album in Fall and that they would be back to the States to tour on that one. From what I gathered talking to them...the tour had been super positive...like maybe they'd gained a new following since the last US tour.

jeez...that was long for a first post....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]