Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Weedeater/Zoroaster Chico, CA 3/10
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm 

Sweet baby Satan, this was amazing. Before I get to the show, I must admit that Weedeater can do no wrong in my eyes (or ears, I guess). I think this made for the 6th time I've seen them, and as many people on this board have said, they always put on a great show. But walking into this venue - a tiny, beat-up pizza place with no stage and sawdust on the floor, I knew this show might be a bit more intense than usual. That's probably the best word to describe it - "intense". There's a certain energy that Weedeater emit that sets their performances apart from others in the sludge/doom field. And in all the shows I've seen them, the 'intense' title was apt. Hell I was standing just to the right of Dixie when that puking picture that Southern Lord uses was taken. But when there's no stage and (as others have mentioned about this tour) a pretty good-sized crowd pushing up behind you so much it brings your feet up to the block holding the kick-drum, the wave of fuzzy sludge these three guys create pretty much engulfs your entire being. Maybe intense was an understatement.

It was definitely one of the most high-energy sets I've seen from them, and they seemed to get a second wind when the kids in the room got a little crazy during "Wizard Fight" and a couple went tumbling into the side of the drum set (Keko just kept banging away while someone ran out to set the tom back up under him). I've read set lists on here from this tour and it seemed to be similar to those. Mostly stuff off the new record, plus God Luck..., Wizard Fight, Gimme Back My Bullets, Weed Monkey, Time Served, and Monkey Junction. Not that you need me to tell you, but if they're coming your way, DO NOT miss it, they're at the top of their game.

And I can't forget Zoroaster. I'm no expert on their catalog, I only have Dog Magic. But god damn they put on a set. The last time I saw them was with Sourvein in Oakland a couple years back. Have there been line-up changes since? This set was definitely more rockin' than the last time I saw them. Whatever the case - great sets from both bands in a dive that seemed more like a place my band would play rather than a place I'd go to see two bands caravaning across the country.

Post subject: Re: Weedeater/Zoroaster Chico, CA 3/10
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 pm 

Zoroaster was playing with a guy from the band Whores, since Brent has apparently been having "personal issues".

Weedeater in Portland (OR) was great as always. Thanks for taking the time to share some words on this tour.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:50 pm 

Saw this show in San Diego. I have seen Weedeater twice before but it's been over the course of something like 10 years so it's been awhile. Nevertheless, the blasted my fuckin brains out with the signature sound that can only be Weedeater. Really killer set from them and Dixie Dave is such a show in himself. There is this feeling you get watching the guy that is a mix of laughter and total respect. He is a unique individual for damn sure, and the other guys are perfect brothers in sound. They've honed it and they own it. Just a great band and one of the heaviest around.

Zoroaster was a cool surprise. Not really familiar with their stuff but Spacecakes has been all about them for a while now I guess. In fact, the only reason his wife let him out of the house to see the show was because he just wouldn't shut up about Zoroaster. Zoraster this...Zoroaster that... He had the kids throwing around doom claws and making homemade shirts with their logo. Killer sound and I'm a huge sucker for that spaced-out, fuzzed out, pedal induced mind warp that they had in some of their songs. Gotta track down some stuff from these guys for sure.

And it's none of my business, but I read that little blip about the bass player sitting out, not by his own choice, but by his band mates decision. That takes balls on the other guys parts, but I also think that if your buds are telling you to pull it together, or get your head out of whatever jacked up place it might be, it might be good to heed the advice and take some time to fix whatever it is that needs fixing. Not many bands can do that but if these guys can, more power to them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:02 am 

I was at the L.A. Show at the Echoplex. Good time, but Zoroaster was definitely not at the same level as they were last June at the Viper Room. That show blew my mind. This latest did not come close to reaching the same level.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]