Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Show Me A Hero
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:06 am 

It's really brilliant. Hits all the right David Simon nerves. Great acting, insanely good writing. Definitely worth your time, helps cure the "True Detective season 2 was a massive disappointment" blues.

Post subject: Re: Show Me A Hero
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:34 am 

Yes. I finally got around to seeing this; binging the whole thing on Saturday night. This seems like the kind of thing Simon should be doing now, as Treme just seemed overly long and a bit tedious by the time it wrapped. And after The Wire, I doubt if he feels like he needs to revisit the cop/outlaw themes, or tell a better story with that subject matter.

This mini-series kind of fell a bit into my line of work a little bit, so it seemed like the Alfred Molina character and anti-housing fervor felt a little over the top, but really that's probably the way it actually was in late-eighties Yonkers. A lot of ugliness has been revealed in the hindsight of looking at Reagan's 80's. I'd like to see documentary footage of some of those protests and counsel meetings during this time. I also think there was probably more to Wasicsko's story than was told, given where he ended up, but I guess it's impossible to know exactly what was going on with the guy.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]