Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:48 am 

This is the HBO documentary that just came out about Kurt Cobain's life. I think it was pretty well done; probably a half hour too long (it is two hours, 15 minutes). My bigger thoughts/newer impressions:

* He grew up much more affluent than I ever imagined. Color Super 8 film footage of his childhood from ages 0 to like 7 years old? I didn't grow up with anyone who had this as a kid (I'm roughly the same age as Kurt, in roughly the same area/economic strata).

* He was a creative dynamo. Not a real surprise, but it seemed like he spent as much time on sketches and video montages as he did with music.

* His life SUCKED. At least how I gauge having a cool life. The guy was really confused. He gets rich/famous and then decides to hole up and shoot heroin with Courtney Love? Brutal. One day locked up with that woman would make me contemplate suicide.

Anyway, worth watching if you were around during that time (as most of us were). Not a lot of new revelations, but I guess you get a view of what he was all about?

Post subject: Re: Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:07 pm 

Sounds interesting,and definitely more legit than that weird Last Days movie from awhile back.

I think I'm more looking forward to the solo album they're putting together of his though. Heard it's gonna be rad.

http://www.kerrang.com/31166/montage-heck-director-details-kurt-cobain-solo-album/

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:17 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
This is the HBO documentary that just came out about Kurt Cobain's life. I think it was pretty well done; probably a half hour too long (it is two hours, 15 minutes). My bigger thoughts/newer impressions:

* He grew up much more affluent than I ever imagined. Color Super 8 film footage of his childhood from ages 0 to like 7 years old? I didn't grow up with anyone who had this as a kid (I'm roughly the same age as Kurt, in roughly the same area/economic strata).

* He was a creative dynamo. Not a real surprise, but it seemed like he spent as much time on sketches and video montages as he did with music.

* His life SUCKED. At least how I gauge having a cool life. The guy was really confused. He gets rich/famous and then decides to hole up and shoot heroin with Courtney Love? Brutal. One day locked up with that woman would make me contemplate suicide.

Anyway, worth watching if you were around during that time (as most of us were). Not a lot of new revelations, but I guess you get a view of what he was all about?

I watched this the other night and had mixed feelings about it. I totally agree, it was about a half hour too long. The home videos and the out-takes from the smells like teen spirit video were really interesting. I did not know the idea behind the video was his (cheerleaders, dirty dimlit school ,etc...). His sketches and notes were incredibly enlightening, but I think they took too much creative liberty by animating his sketches, that is a pet peeve of mine. I did not get the feeling he was affluent, he just seemed like (lower) middle class, as I would describe myself. I had a super 8 camera that was handed down to me. It was very sad to see him holed up in a dirty apartment totally strung out. I had a hard time understanding that someone so popular and rich and talented at the time would want to totally drop out of society and shoot up. The saddest part was seeing the footage of the baby, she is the real victim in all of this...
where the fuck was Dave Grohl? c'mon you can't do a comprehensive Kurt Cobain/Nirvana documentary without at least an interview with him. All we got was Krist...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:21 pm 

I read "Heavier Than Heaven" when that came out, as well as the other docs "Kurt & Courtney" and "About a Son". I'm interested to see this to see if it's a significantly different take on his life.

I don't think Grohl speaks to Courtney about anything other than business stuff through lawyers, so I'm not surprised he wasn't included.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 am 

I kind of think we've gotten a lot of documentary commentary from Grohl lately about Kurt/Nirvana, with him talking about recording 'Nevermind' on the Sound City doc and Nirvana in general on the Seattle Sonic Highways episode. He might have felt a little self conscious with this film being produced by HBO like the Sonic Highways series was.

He's talked a lot about Kurt and Courtney too in his most recent Howard Stern interviews. Courtney spoke to Stern not too long after Grohl did and they're basically getting along now and you never really got that feeling before. It was good to hear from Krist mainly because he had been with Kurt like five or six years? Grohl was really only around the last couple of years.

I do have to give Courtney credit for allowing the heroin footage of them during that time to be released. It's fucking brutal with nothing to gain on her part by allowing it to get out, so all I can figure is at this point she just doesn't give a shit and no one will ever be taking her child or money away from her.

Also, I didn't mean that Kurt had an "affluent" upbringing, it was just much better than I had ever imagined. Both of his folks seemed like really decent folks. As a young man, I "almost" got a job at lumber mill in Grays Harbor (Aberdeen, WA area) buying lumber and that area gives the term "white-trash, broken family" a new meaning. Next level shit and when I heard he had to live under a bridge, I figured his family were all a bunch of drunken shitheads, but I never got any sense of that and his teenage problems mostly boiled down to him being a difficult kid. When you hear his teenage journals read in this and hear how literate and sensitive he was, you kind of know that his parents at least gave it a good try in raising him.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]