Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: The Game (BBC America TV series)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 pm 

Almost gave up on this during the first episode because it rips off John le Carre's fictional spy world so much, he should be given credit of some kind. In particular, Le Carre's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy".

"There's a mole... right at the the top of the <STRIKE>Circus</STRIKE> Fray..." The Fray being the jargon for MI5 (British domestic counter espionage), instead of MI6 (foreign espionage).

Instead of the nameless Control, you have Bryan Cox as the head of MI5 referred to as "Daddy". Ugh.

And instead of KGB mastermind Karla running sleeper agents and moles, there's a dude who goes by "Odin" whose "evil genius" trademark is peeling apples and leaving the skin, versus Karla who carried George Smiley's cigarette lighter and showed it off as an "I own your limey ass" gesture.

There are more elements shamelessly borrowed from Le Carre's world, but I decided to stick it out, partly because the season is only six episodes, and, well, it actually got pretty damn good.

By the end of the series, the characters were fleshed out, and the acting is really good. Bryan Cox and an actor whose name I'm too lazy to look up who plays a police detective assigned to MI5 to help solve the case is really good as well. Also, if you pay close enough attention, you'll hear Black Sabbath and Deep Purple (the story takes place in the early 70's, in the midst of the labor strikes occurring at the time) in some cool scenes.

So, without giving anything more away, I ended up liking it a lot and I'm on board for the next season if there is one.

Post subject: Re: The Game (BBC America TV series)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:16 pm 

I've scoured the internets for word of a second season and haven't come up with any news. Too bad. It started off shaky, but finished strong.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]