Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: Orphan Black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:22 am 

So, season 2 just started. Anyone else watching?
Tatiana Maslany is so damn good in this, it's almost unbelievable that she plays so many different characters.

I have incredibly high hopes for this season.

Post subject: Re: Orphan Black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:06 am 

Been on board since season 1, though I came in towards of the end of the season. Fantastic show, and the second season premiere was pretty much perfect. Major kudos for making a rape whistle the comedic high point of the episode. If anything, this season is making it abundantly clear that Alison has always been the best of the club.

A friend of mine mentioned that he wouldn't mind seeing more female cast members, and my mind tripped over itself thinking "but there are lots of...oh, yeah." I know it's, like, the main talking about the show, but Maslany really is so good in this. I loved the episode in the first season where was she was playing characters as other characters during the party. I felt a little dizzy trying to keep up with who was who acting as who, but that it came off as one of the most entertaining episodes of the season and the performances were as good as they were is a testament to her abilities. I think I'm starting to pick up more on the physicality of her performances too, with a little help. Sarah has a kind of slumped manner to the way she walks, whereas Cosima and especially Alison are much more upright.

Not to take anything away from the secondary cast. Paul needs a personality injection in the absolute worst way, but the rest of the bunch have been pretty great. I especially love that Felix isn't just another gay stereotype. It's so refreshing compared to all of the tiresome stereotypical gay quippy characters that pop up all the time. I mean, he's certainly quick to trade quips with everyone, but he is the way he is because that's just the way he is and not because he's "gay stereotype comedy relief." I guess it sounds like a subtle distinction on the surface, but I think the important difference is that Felix is an actual, fleshed out character who is vital to Sarah's story and is becoming increasingly vital to the rest of the club (especially Alison). He seems to be the glue holding the club together, which made his last convo with Alison at the end of the last episode so tough to watch.

I thought the second episode of the season was rather twisty and jam packed with neat stuff. Kira calling, Tomas, Alison catching on to Donnie, the revelation about Helena (who I totally did not expect to see this season), Mrs. S and her merry band of backstabbers...they've really been flooring the plot gas pedal so far this season and I'm all for it. It's refreshing to have a show that goes at its own pace and places the burden of keeping up on the shoulders of the viewer. I don't find it difficult to keep up with, but at the same time I think it'll be a rewarding second viewing experience because of this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:47 am 

Agreed.
This episode just didnt let up.
I was not expecting the Mrs. S plotline to surface so quickly. The power shift in the prolethians is interesting and unexpected as well, I figured Tomas would be set up as a major antagonist. I think the new character can be even better though, he's very charismatic.

Looks like next episode there will be another clone added in to the mix. Gosh i enjoy this show. Especially since I have to remind myself constantly that Rebecca, Allison & Helena are all the same actress.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:35 am 

Another absolutely frenetic episode.
Do not fuck with Helena.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:51 pm 

That last sequence involving Rachel's apartment was fantastic. It started as a fun, sneaky sneaky kind of scene and ended in one of the most bad ass, harrowing, fucked up scenes the show's had. The show has really done a lot with Helena this season to make her the most sympathetic, which is rather amazing considering she's mostly been drugged out of her mind so far.

Feel so bad for Alison too. She'd benefit from the help, but Donnie's a fucking prick.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:33 pm 

A Lot of fledgling horror directors could learn from the scene in Rachael's apartment.
I knew who it was gonna be, but the reveal was still amazing. Tatiana looked like she was truly terrified.
Even if this show gets bad, I will still watch it just for her performances.
Still can't believe more folks here aren't all over this show.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:22 am 

Bullio wrote:
That last sequence involving Rachel's apartment was fantastic. It started as a fun, sneaky sneaky kind of scene and ended in one of the most bad ass, harrowing, fucked up scenes the show's had. The show has really done a lot with Helena this season to make her the most sympathetic, which is rather amazing considering she's mostly been drugged out of her mind so far.

Feel so bad for Alison too. She'd benefit from the help, but Donnie's a fucking prick.

agreed, what a fucking scene that was. Helena is a genuinely scary character.

This show is extremely entertaining, and anchored by the lead actress' amazing performance. So far, season 2 is shaping up to be even better than season 1.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:44 pm 

Sorry Alison, you had a good run but as of tonight you've officially been usurped. That road trip may have been mostly fan service, but it was the best kind of fan service.

That said, I feel even worse for Alison now. It seemed like she was finally making a friend out of one of the most unlikely of persons, and making progress in her rehab considering how she was opening up in ways we've never seen before, but it's just more manipulation. I get they have an unfavorable history, but it's still an absolutely shitty thing to do to someone who is in so vulnerable a position. I dread how she's going to react to this when she finds out. Angela better watch her ass.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:45 pm 

The webs are getting tangled. Mrs S knows Paul, and about Afghanistan, Helena returns to the Prolethians, Paul Mrs S and Sarah have all found Rachel's father...

I really hope they have resolutions for some of this stuff well planned out, because it could get very messy.

That being said, I like that they humanized Helena a bit...while making rachel seem even more clinical.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:38 pm 

Honestly didn't see coming some of the stuff that happened tonight (except for that gun going off). The turnabout with Leekie and Rachel was fantastic and gave Rachel a much needed humanizing element. And now I feel bad for Donnie! Stop toying with my emotions so much OB!

I'm glad that we got another comedic clone imitating a clone scene this season, even if it did feel a bit shoehorned in. I don't think that episode in the first season will ever be topped, but I love watching Maslany in those types of scenes as she's just so good in them and they really display how well she knows these characters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 pm 

It's great how Tatiana can just switch characters by changing posture, or her expression. You could see her (as Sarah) make the Alison face, and bam! she's alison. I was saddened by the lack of Helena, though. Hopefully before the series concludes, there can be an Alison & Helena episode. That would be beautiful madness.

What this show is becoming VERY good at, is not letting the viewer know who to trust, or knowing a character's motivations. Mrs S walks in to Dyad to save Kira, but it then appears to be a setup. Delphine is hiding things from Cosima, though she seems to have real affection for her. Rachel is shown previously as being practically emotionless, then cries when being reunited with her "father" and seemingly lets Leekie walk. Donnie shlubs his way through his life, then "Marvins" Leekie.

This keeps getting more and more tangled, and I keep getting more and more fascinated.
From the preview of the next episode, it doesn't look like things are going to slow down any time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 pm 

I thought last weeks episode was a bit of a filler show.
I didn't see the point of the Tony character, aside from giving Felix a bit more screen time.
Hope this doesn't devolve into "clone of the week" territory.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:34 pm 

I don't know how the season finale is gonna top this weeks episode.
Im not sure you can go at a faster pace and have more big shit happen.

Sucks that its over for the season after next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:57 am 

The antithesis of the Hannibal finale.
Just pure suck.

This has every indication of going Battlestar Galactica, or Lost sort of wrong.

Very very disappointed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 pm 

I thought finale was just fine. My only concern with the finale has more to do with fears of season 3 being overstuffed. This season already had a lot going on, and I'm a bit worried that the Castor storyline is going to be the popping point. I'm very, very relieved they're not Felix clones. Or Paul clones, though having a clone be a monitor to two of the female clones would have been pretty meta. Though I do think the military angle to Castor is the absolute perfect starting point for that storyline. And it is a storyline everyone should have anticipated. The only real surprise about it was who the clones turned out to be, though once the reveal happened it was one that made sense.

I'm also really happy that Cosima got some well deserved character moments the last few episodes. It felt like she'd been relegated to secondary character status for much of the season (which just causes more mental confusion given who plays her) even though she was in the most important position for any of the clones to be in (working at Dyad). I like Delphine, but Cosima is a lot more interesting when she's not with her.

I was really impressed with where Rachel ended up. She felt one dimensional for much of the season, but once her facade started cracking after reuniting with Duncan (and especially after that office scene) I found her to be a much more enjoyable character. That scene last episode with her watching the childhood video was one of my favorite moments in the show so far. That said, she had one of the most unintentionally hilarious lines I've heard when she threatened Sarah with "enjoy your oophorectomy!" (sorry, but it's too goofy of a word to sound menacing)

"Helena, did you burn down the fish peoples' ranch?"
"No :)"

I've grown to love Helena so much during this season, but wow does she find herself in some of the worst possible situations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:58 pm 

Helena is easily my favorite character, but she does seem to get herself "captured" an awful lot, doesn't she?

I think I'm just worn out on all the "side-switching" and behind the scenes deals the characters make. it just muddles the plot without advancing toward any sort of even minor resolution.
I was hoping for some explanation of what possible abilities Kira might possess, or at least a bit more background on project Leda. What we got was another clone mystery.
I am thrilled it wasn't felix, which would have been total pandering toward the fan base, but i think there could've been a military plot line without "hey, look...we cloned dudes, too"

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]