Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: The X-Files
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 pm 

Just started re-watching The X-Files. Again. Anyone else into this show?

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Post subject: Re: The X-Files
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:45 am 

Never watched it back in the day for various reasons (too busy, no cable and shitty reception made the show even darker and murkier than it actually was, had a friend who was way too into government conspiracies and extraterrestrial cover-ups, etc) but we've picked it up on Netflix. Just wrapped up season 1. Some of the writing is laughably dated (look out – a computer virus!), Scully has an annoying tendency of leaving her gun on the couch before going into the other room where there's obvious danger, and it's never pretty revisiting the high waisted, big-ass eye-glass fashions of the 90s, but it still holds up.

What I find most impressive is how matter-of-fact the show is about government conspiracies and extraterrestrial cover-ups. Pretty much zero ambiguity. No wonder this show was catnip for my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 pm 

I was 4 or 5 when the show came out, and my understanding of fiction wasn't very well developed by that point, so I thought X-Files was largely based on real stories. I mean, they talked about Roswell and Area 51 and stuff like that a lot, and I knew that stuff! So a lot of those monster of the week stories were even crazier for me because I thought they were real.

I haven't seen much past seasons 1 and 2 in awhile. I had caught those within the last year as late night reruns on some cable network. I've only seen pieces of the seasons after 4 or 5, and still have never watched the whole series in order from start to finish, but I recall really liking it until some point in season 6 and thought the show should have ended with the season 7 finale. Season 8 has its moments, but it was obvious the show was running out of steam. All I remember from season 9 was Lucy Lawless and the series finale. I never really warmed up to Doggett and especially Reyes, and the super solider stuff was pretty bad.

But what I've seen of those first 5-7 seasons is really entertaining stuff. I'm sure some of that is due to nostalgia, though I never really watched the show growing up. Nostalgia for the time period, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:19 am 

Missed out mostly. I was busy with school and warehouse rave hippy waster when i could in the early/mid-90's. Then it was Horde/Shoegazer type bands in the mid/late 90's. Then StonerRock/Doom garbage +/- 2 years 2001. Tons of shows and misbehavior in the 90's. The few episodes i did see seemed kinda corny/contrived. I've always been an avid spec non-fiction/"conspiracy" reader, so it might be fun to check the early years out on Netflix when i finally get a TV. Somehow i think the yawn/this is stupid factor will kick in pretty quick and i'll by-pass the Hollywood schtick and go straight to the VHS era conspiracy documentaries. There were loads i wouldn't mind watching again in better quality.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:32 am 

Great show but the quality starts to decline pretty rapidly from the third season onwards. I was a massive fan and even TAPED the first four seasons on VHS but by the end of the fourth season/beginning of fifth season it wasn't really the same show. I will say the first two seasons are pretty exceptional.

I would like to note I haven't re-watched it in a very long time so I'd be a little curious how it held up but for me the highlight of the show was the second season finale.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:02 am 

giantchris wrote:
I would like to note I haven't re-watched it in a very long time so I'd be a little curious how it held up but for me the highlight of the show was the second season finale.

Was that the Duane Barry episode? That was great.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]