Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: The Counselor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:08 am 

This movie is not a computer animated cartoon. It is not a sequel to anything. There are no superpowers, talking cars and planes, no action hero team-ups, and no Mike Tyson cameos. According to my friends who give a shit about such things, it's been treated like a burning bag of dog shit by the critics, and the theater was less than half full at 7pm on opening night, despite a fairly big name cast.

Basically, it's a simple "The Deal Goes Wrong" movie. My take on it: Ridley Scott does his best Michael Mann. Or "No Country For Early Middle Age Men". If that sounds appealing to you, it comes with my recommendation. Penelope Cruz gets eaten out in the first five minutes, so you know this is going to be a film that straddles the line between payoff and too much. But to me, it was 90% payoff. Brad Pitt and Cammy Diaz have some difficulty wrapping themselves around the dialogue, but I thought Javier Bardim was awesome in a kind of Mickey Rourke/Robert Downey Jr. goofball manner. Michael Fussbudget/Fassbinder/Fassbender did the emotional stuff well, and there were a couple good cameos and small roles that were utilized perfectly.

You can see where it's going, but it was a lot of fun watching it get there. The violence was sparing, but very brutal. It's depressing, but no more so than "Traffic" or "Heat". It had that aura of doom that was grandiose but not overwhelming. Some of the monologues on life, death, power and women were so good I'd go back and see it again just for those scenes. And there are very few movies these days that I have any desire to see again. For fuck's sake, last week I saw "Escape Plan" with Sly and Arnold. It was fun, but "The Counselor" is not disposable nonsense like that. It's a real movie. They still make them, if anybody cares.

Post subject: Re: The Counselor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 am 

Sounds cool, definitely want to see this. Cormac McCarthy is a great writer, so I'm sure the dialogue is awesome in this. Excellent cast as well. Need to see this before it's out of the theaters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:58 am 

Thanks for the notice. I was sold when I heard McCarthy wrote the screenplay.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 am 

The trailer screwed up their chances. I had no idea what the movie was about, only thing I grasped was there was some d-bag character was in it. Should've just said Cormac Mccarthy wrote it and I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:06 am 

Big Cormac McCarthy fan here. This is sometimes a very awkward film, both underwritten (for instance, the titular character) and overwritten (some of the speeches about death, fate and acceptance are too on the nose), but it eventually develops an undeniable nihilistic power. It's cold and cruel and I can see why a lot of people didn't like it, however, but it's definitely worth a look.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]