Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Movies you watched recently
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:37 pm 

The Thing, Escape from NY and Big Trouble in Little China this weekend. All movies should be like this.

Post subject: Re: Movies you watched recently
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 am 

Kurt Russel marathon?

Stayed home from work yesterday watched 4 movies:

Night Shift
Four Times that Night
The Awful Dr. Orloff
Battle in Outer Space

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:05 pm 

It just worked out that way. Starting Homeland season 2 tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 am 

Oblivion..started good, ended predictably weak..fuck if I fall for that shit again

Stoker..2 thumbs up. Dark and twisted.

Star Trek - Into Darkness...already saw it in theaters, but rewatched at home. Doesn't hold up well for repeated views. Fast forwarded the beginning and a few parts later

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:01 am 

The Purge it's alright. Good idea but they pretty much ignored it because this is a basic home invasion movie.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:39 am 

End Of Watch. Absolute drivel. A forced attempt to make an intense buddy / badass cop movie that fails on nearly every level.

Tomorrow night will be movie-rama.
Planning on watching Elysium for sure, not sure what else.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:14 pm 

Really? I didn't think it was that bad.

Let's see...An Adventure in Space and Time, Predators, Charlie Wilson's War, Source Code, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, The Road, Argo, Man of Steel, Amazing Spider-Man, Lawless, Memento, Zodiac, There Will Be Blood, The King's Speech, Apocalypse Now, Slither, Collateral, American Psycho, Good Night and Good Luck, Frost/Nixon, Hellboy 2, Matchstick Men and Thor: The Dark World (okay, this was in theaters).

The only one I didn't think much of was LSaTSB. I'm not a big fan of the "Guy Ritchie style", though Snatch was rather enjoyable.

GNaGL actually felt too short, but was still a pretty good watch.

AAiSaT is a docudrama about the creation of Doctor Who and Hartnell's run up to the day Troughton took over. Very enjoyable watch, and David Bradley should have been Doctor.

Man of Steel I didn't hate as much as most people seem to. I thought the plot felt rushed, which is a weird criticism to toss at a movie as long as this is, but the action sequences certainly received the most screen time and received most of the attention. But still, a fine movie to turn the brain off to for a couple hours while exercising.

Matchstick Men was fantastic. I'm not the biggest Nic Cage fan, but he was really fun to watch in this. Sam Rockwell's always great, and looking up Allison Lohman on IMDB afterward kind of blew my mind. Definitely recommended, though it's not streaming anywhere.

Collateral was a surprise. I went into it blind on a recommendation from a friend and really enjoyed it. It looks like a generic noir-ish action flick in the vein of Law Abiding Citizen or Changing Lanes, but it's more like Heat in that it's actually good (and also directed by Michael Mann).

Slither was surprise too. It's a genuinely funny and ridiculous horror-comedy from James Gunn with great performances from the cast, but especially from Michael Rooker and Gregg Henry. It's similar in tone to Evil Dead 2 and Shaun of the Dead, though not quite as good as either of them.

Charlie Wilson's War should be watched just for Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance. By far one of my favorite performances of his, and he totally steals this movie from Tom Hanks. A good movie especially for those that enjoyed The West Wing, but still worthwhile for those that haven't seen it.

Predators felt like a bit of throwback to the original movie and 80's action movies in general. There's plenty of CGI here, sure, but the general tone and feel of the action reminded me a lot of those older action movies. I was skeptical of Adrian Brody as the main lead in an action movie like this, but he pulled it off. Topher Grace will never not be Eric Forman though.

Hellboy 2 was great. No setup or world building bullshit since the first movie got that out of the way. Some really interesting scenery and character designs too, but considering it's del Torro that's no real surprise.

Yeah, uh, I've been a bit busy. But I need something to watch while exercising to make it bearable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 am 

Two William Girdler movies both of them horror:

Grizzly (1976) and Day of the animals (1977)
Both starring Christopher George.
Leslie Nielsen did good role in day of the animals....

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 am 

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's actually pretty good. All the jokes land pretty much,even if you are rolling your eyes. The sledding scene is terrible of course but other than that not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 pm 

Saw Thor 2 during the holiday with my father-in-law who is a huge comic book and superhero movie fan. He liked it, I thought it was a mess and pretty boring. I enjoyed the first one a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:26 am 

Dredd.
Blood, scowling, and an intense desire to listen to Anthrax.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:52 pm 

Gravity..liked it a lot.

The Hobbit..FINALLY slogged through it. Too long and worst of the series

Out of the Furnace..Terrible movie. Cliche and lame and had so much material to work with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:32 am 

Out of the Furnace - I actually didn't even finish it.. great actors but a shitpile movie

Desolation of Smaug - A bit tedious at times but overall really enjoyed it.

Gravity - It's a beautiful movie but not a great movie. Definitely a good one though.

Prisoners - Loved it. Loved the atmosphere, the setting, the characters, the plot, the sense of dread. My favorite movie I've seen this year by far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 am 

Mastodonkey wrote:
Out of the Furnace - I actually didn't even finish it.. great actors but a shitpile movie

Desolation of Smaug - A bit tedious at times but overall really enjoyed it.

Gravity - It's a beautiful movie but not a great movie. Definitely a good one though.

Prisoners - Loved it. Loved the atmosphere, the setting, the characters, the plot, the sense of dread. My favorite movie I've seen this year by far.

I wasn't a big fan of Crazy Heart either so I guess I can skip Out of the Furnace. I was curious about that Prisoners movie though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:34 pm 

I'll second the Prisoners flick, good script, good enough acting with doses of Jackman's typical overacting throughout..

Was a bit long though, imo..heading into the 3rd hour, I was getting tired, but the movie itself was good stuff.

Open Grave....if you've got a few hours to kill, it's a different spin the on the 'disease/zombie' set up with a back story divulged through flashbacks and not so obvious plot shifts. Get's tiring, but the ending was wrapped up decently.

You're Next...Could very well be one of the better horror movies to come out in a few years. Brutal and atmospheric. I won't give up too much, but the reveal is early on, and thinking it would lose steam because of that would be selling it short. Nice script and change of pace.

Queen of Versailles..finally got around to watching it. Kind of a train wreck, that you can't stop watching. Recommended, but you'll need either a shower or a drink afterwards.

The Hobbit/Smaug..Liked it, didn't love it..kind of indifferent to the whole thing now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:39 pm 

The Hills have Eyes 2006. Loved it. I think it's a classic. Everything it does well, nothing stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 am 

The ABC's of death. 26 letters in the alphabet, 26 directors. Lots of batshit crazy for batshit crazy's sake. I enjoyed the hell out of it, i think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:09 am 

The World's End and Django Unchained. Both utterly fantastic and hilarious. Can't wait for Tarantino's The Hateful Eight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:17 pm 

Since Scorsese just came out with The Wolf Of Wall Street, I've been catching up with the films of his I haven't seen yet. Mean Streets, Kundun, Cape Fear, Gangs Of New York. Gonna watch Bringing Out The Dead tonight, haven't seen it in a loooong time, barely remember it.
Taxi Driver is on TV here, so I thought I'd catch that one too since it's been quite a while since I last saw it.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:23 pm 

Bullio wrote:
The World's End and Django Unchained. Both utterly fantastic and hilarious. Can't wait for Tarantino's The Hateful Eight.

uh-oh.
http://www.miramax.com/subscript/quenti ... eful-eight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:51 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:05 am 

I watched Aftershock last night. Produced and co-written by Eli Roth and directed by some chilean (?) guy I've never heard of. A fun film with some nice gore and gruesome deaths. Nothing too serious, just a fun disaster/horror.
Extremely psyched to see Roths new one, The Green Inferno. That should be a fucking blast!

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm 

Saw that documentary The Square, about the Egyptian revolutions in Tahir Square. Pretty amazing footage and a good Dickensian type of presentation. It's nominated for an Oscar, for what that's worth, and it's on Netflix.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:36 am 

Watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. Dug it. was amazed that Rayon was played by Jared Leto, as the only role I'd previously enjoyed him in was as Ed Norton's punching bag in Fight Club. Even Jennifer Garner was good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:06 am 

Wreck It Ralph. For like the trillionith time. But seriously for those with youngings, it's smart, action packed and really fun. Thumbs up!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next