Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Refn's "Only God Forgives"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 pm 

The new film from Drive/ Valhalla Rising/ Pusher director Nicolas Winding Refn. I loved it, although I can see why it's getting so much bad press. If you come expecting Drive, you will be seriously annoyed. If you loved Refn's Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives may be up your alley. It's got that some slow-motion, hyper-masculine, hyper-stylized vibe, only this time with even more immaculate cinematography and incredible sound design and Ryan Gosling as a fairly pathetic, emasculated anti-hero.

Spartan revenge plot involves the grisly death of Gosling's drug-dealing rapist brother in Bangkok and the violent events that follow involving a brutal Thai cop, Gosling and his impossibly nasty mother who comes to Thailand ready for some payback.

Music is by Cliff Martinez, that dude is on a roll after doing an amazing job with Spring Breakers earlier this year.

It's not playing in a lot of theaters but is available on demand.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Refn's "Only God Forgives"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 pm 

I loved it. It was brutal and at times hilarious. I actually don't get the hate. Sure it's style over substance but a) that's the point and b) when the style is this good, who cares?

Oh, and Lieutenant Chang was probably the most bad-assed cop in the history of bad-assed cops. He makes Dirty Harry look like a mere Slightly Soiled Sally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:16 am 

MILLION MAN wrote:
I loved it. It was brutal and at times hilarious. I actually don't get the hate. Sure it's style over substance but a) that's the point and b) when the style is this good, who cares?

Oh, and Lieutenant Chang was probably the most bad-assed cop in the history of bad-assed cops. He makes Dirty Harry look like a mere Slightly Soiled Sally.

I agree -- if the style is great, I'm on board. I think most of the hate comes from people who wanted Drive redux.

I loved the way the cop would draw his sword from behind his back seemingly out of the ether. I think he was the real protagonist of the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:11 am 

It's a great movie that doesn't throw everything at you, you have to analyse some stuff yourself, ( or look up explanations online)

I loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:17 pm 

Now streaming on Netflix.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:07 am 

Everything I've heard about this tells me that this movie would make me nuts. I really, really didn't like how in love Drive seemed to be with itself, and it sounds like all of the things I didn't like about Drive are in this movie but 10 times worse. Yet I'm still a bit curious about it because the parts of Drive I liked, I really liked.

I'd actually love to see a fan cut of Drive that seriously cuts down all of the pace killing staring and pauses. It'd probably only make the movie about 45 minutes long, but I bet it'd be a fantastic 45 minutes.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]