Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Star Trek Into Spoilers
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:52 pm 

On one hand, this really was a fun movie. Peppy, funny without trying too hard, Karl Urban rocking the house yet again as Bones, that otter looking fellow as that guy you pretty much expected him to be.

And yet....

...when they rewrote the best part of Wrath of Khan, a good number of us in the theater just started laughing. And not, "Ha ha, isn't this funny!" laughter. More like Snorts of Derision (debut out this August on Relapse, by the way - I hope you like blast beat doom). So much self congratulatory fan service wankery with no emotional stakes. Maybe I'm stupid biased - I do still tear up when Spock bites it after saving the much smaller warp core, even though I've watched that movie close to triple digits - but it was just a dumb idea that was written poorly and executed even worse. Especially since they loudly announced "YOU KNOW HOW THIS WILL TURN OUT!" about ten minutes earlier, in another little bit of fan service (also, that was weird that one of the crew members was named HP Taskmaster).

Still though, it was fun. Shit blew up. Spaceships! A way hotter Carol Marcus in her undies! And the cast really is top notch. Everyone made do with what they had (in some cases, very little). It just got stump dumb at the worst possible moment.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek Into Spoilers
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm 

I completely agree that the clumsy and overt nod to the diehards marred what was otherwise a solid piece of sci fi film-making.

Subtlety goes a long way, Mr. Abrams...please remember that when you turn your attention to the new Star Wars films.

(because I am sure J.J. Abrams pays rapt attention to the stoner rock forums, yes)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:32 am 

That'll be awesome when right before AARP Leia gets encased in carbonite, Han Solo pulls off his oxygen mask to say, "I love you," and she replies, "Eh? Speak up, sonny."

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Arzgarth wrote:
...(also, that was weird that one of the crew members was named HP Taskmaster).

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to hating myself for liking it and I'm going to be severely disappointed when there's no one by that name in the film.

My theory on Star Wars: Nowhere to go but up from the trouncing Lucas gave it.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:19 pm 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
Arzgarth wrote:
...(also, that was weird that one of the crew members was named HP Taskmaster).

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to hating myself for liking it and I'm going to be severely disappointed when there's no one by that name in the film.

My theory on Star Wars: Nowhere to go but up from the trouncing Lucas gave it.

Minor spoiler alert: your namesake gets sucked into space during one of the many epic space battles. His final word was "KYUSS!"

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Arzgarth wrote:
Minor spoiler alert: your namesake gets sucked into space during one of the many epic space battles. His final word was "KYUSS!"

Even as his head exploded in the vacuum of space, he couldn't get the riff to Sleep's "Dragonaut" out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 pm 

Arzgarth summed it up well. I'll add that both Kirk and RoboCop violated the Prime Directive in the same movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:49 am 

On the whole I really liked the movie. Good ol' Scotty saves the day, as usual.

I even liked the reverse-dies-in-the-warp-core mush (ducks for cover)...although it will never make me cry like the Spock version in Wrath of Khan

What I couldn't get past was the scene at the end where Spock jumps off the one moving red spaceship Into the Void, to land on the other moving red spaceship and resume his fistfight with the genetically superior bad guy. When they do this shit in Star Wars, I can buy it, because they're using the force, right? Does not belong in Star Trek...Spock is not a SuperHero, for fucks sakes. He's logical, not Iron Man. The volcano scene was ridiculous enough, but the flying squirrel nonsense was too much. And totally illogical

Much better was the scene where Spock describes to Uhura why he has made the choice not to feel. Much more powerful and true to the character.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 am 

@Obvious & Odious Hadn't thought about that Spock thing, him taking that leap, but you're right, that totally sucked. I also agree the reverse Wrath stuff was a nice touch.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]