Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Is there too much good tv now?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 am 

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/how-much-good-tv-is-too-much

Even though I have a limited stable of shows that I watch regularly, I totally see Sepinwall's point.

Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Is there too much good tv now?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 am 

For my two cents; cable has taken over the networks (literally and figuratively). Naturally, there are more cable channels so there will be more programming. What's changed is that the quality on cable TV shows at least attempted to reach an HBO standard, whereas networks continued to slide into more reality competitions and mediocre "gimmick" programs. So today, we have like 3 "good" network dramas and only 2 decent network sitcoms? That's not what I would call an overload of good TV. And with more good TV, there is an equal and just as present amount of absolute shit on TV.

I think that's like one of newtons laws or something.

That being said, I think things like Netflix and Hulu are good signs of things to come. I think the volume of shows to watch is more easily managed when you're free from network scheduling (and often, free from commercials). I worry more that good programming will eventually migrate to subscription only services.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am 

It has become a bit much but I agree that VoD and HDD-recorders (and the internet of course) frees one from the TV-schedules of yesterday. So, yes, I watch a lot of TV but its not like I am sitting in front of the screen switching channels hoping to find something good. Its the news and a movie or a couple of episodes and then something else - could be even talking to my wife. And I still go out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 am 

That's the biggest bunch of nonsense I've read in a while.

It's such a non-issue I don't even know where to begin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:06 am 

Is this article a joke??? I only watch television at work, and I'll be the first to admit that most of what I watch is totally awful.

I'm going to paraphrase what I read somewhere: "The purpose of network television is to make you feel badly about your life so that you'll buy more and more things."

^ that's about right.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 am 

between web series good movies and good shows it's hard to choose and leave time for other stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:13 pm 

People are always bugging me to start watching Game Of Thrones or Mad Men or Breaking Bad, etc, without mentioning hundreds of movies, books, comic books and albums I don't have time to consume. I see the guy's point, but also, these are 21st century white American problems that our parents (or past selves) and most of he rest of the current world would laugh at.

I got a bunch of friends and my roommate that are media junkies, just Hungry Hippo style consumption every waking moment of every game, show and movie that they can possibly see. My roommate sleeps probably five hours a night because he's up until 1am and awake by 6 or 7 to pick right back up on whatever screen dream he's gorging himself on before he goes to work...where he continues to feed the need with podcasts on his headphones while he hides in the back of a grocery store.

My feeling is that as long as you have an active social life, good relationship with the family and get some exercise, you can be this type of freak and it won't have a detrimental effect on your psyche. It's the way of the world...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm 

RalphSnart wrote:
My feeling is that as long as you have an active social life, good relationship with the family and get some exercise, you can be this type of freak and it won't have a detrimental effect on your psyche. It's the way of the world...

Hooray! Wait...How much is some exercise?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:42 am 

Walking to the fridge to get a beer does not count.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm 

what about walking to the liquor store?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:58 pm 

Stoner Rock Marathon, brah!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:04 am 

Over 2 years now w/o a TV. Have an Oppo BDP-95 Blu-Ray player i currently use for the audio stage in my solid state stereo. I could be moved to move it upstairs in the near future if i got a flash 60" flat screen TV for the livingroom. But i'm in no hurry. TV/movies generally hold little interest.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]