Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Arrested Development (2013)
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:09 pm 

I don't know, man. The characters dysfunctional dynamic hasn't changed, I think it's only they aren't playing off of themselves as much as the original run. Everyone is cast off to the wind and doing their own thing. I think the idea is that the movie will be a return to form. If you're struggling with these episodes and you liked the previous run, I say stick with it. It's just your brain wrapping itself to this format but it's a rewarding top-notch Arrested Development installment. The original series took its time with me. Give it time and this season should not disappoint.

I think it was important for them to change the format. Why would we want more of the same?

Regarding the movie, I feel the idea could work. I mean the "movie" is already a character in the show so I'm curious to how that paradigm is going to play out.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:05 pm 

I'm up to episode 5. Slow start, was somewhere between "eh" and "meh" for the first episode, but there've been some great moments. I agree with Dinger Thomas that it's not as funny as the original but I'm not so disappointed by what I've watched that I'm disgusted by the whole thing. It is more of a long-form, single episode broken into 15 parts that can sort of stand alone by themselves but (probably) need to be seen altogether for them to make sense. But like any long form, single episode that stretches (whatever 30x15 is) minutes long, there's a ton of fat that could be trimmed.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:11 pm 

I would also say that although the original run didn't require the context of the whole series, but it was certainly more rewarding in order to get the constant running gags of the show. We've never seen Arrested Development attempt a season long story arc. The new iteration is less like the sitcom Arrested Development was back in the day, but no less Arrested Development. As the episodes progress, there's simply more to reference.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

It feels pretty tight by the end, Arz, with all the concurrent story lines. It is a bit to swallow in the beginning. Pacing is slower, Michael's episodes are mostly downers, but that void fills up and you're all like:

Will reserve judgement on whether this is "better" or not once I rewatch and get a few years perspective on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 am 

Ep 5 had some genuine El Oh El moments.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:47 am 

Arzgarth wrote:

That's where I fell asleep, I'll have to pick up there again and see if it takes.

I'm not disgusted by the whole, more like, "do I really want to spend this much time on watching a full season of something that has thus far been entirely unsatisfactory and unrewarding when there are so many other things I could be doing that are satisfactory and rewarding."

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:08 am 

Arzgarth wrote:

Daddy needs help getting his rocks off!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:29 am 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
Arzgarth wrote:

That's where I fell asleep, I'll have to pick up there again and see if it takes.

I'm not disgusted by the whole, more like, "do I really want to spend this much time on watching a full season of something that has thus far been entirely unsatisfactory and unrewarding when there are so many other things I could be doing that are satisfactory and rewarding."

Oh, I hear you and I understand where you're coming from.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 am 
Site Admin

In the process of spacing out my second time through.

I've decided my least favorite part of the new season is Seth Rogen and Kristin Wiig as young George and Lucille. They overdo it.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:53 am 

Rogen's just too Seth Rogen for young George Sr. I thought Wiig did a pretty good Lucille. Not as catty, maybe, but much better than I was expecting when I first saw her pop up in the first episode.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Bullio wrote:
Rogen's just too Seth Rogen for young George Sr.

I guess that's my main complaint with them. They're too recognizable for who they are. I mean, I knew who Jeffrey Tambor was before, but he wasn't so famous that I couldn't accept him as the George Sr. character.

Plus, everything Seth Rogen does, he's playing Seth Rogen playing that thing. So here he's Seth Rogen playing Seth Rogen playing George Sr. Wiig is better, but I still feel kind of the same way.

I also think they missed a real opportunity to set up an awesome running gag with Ron Howard by NOT showing him, but only letting Michael hear his voice. He could always be behind something or obscured somehow, so that you never see him and then you could have the narration interact more with the dialog. I guess I'm thinking kind of how you never see the president character on Veep, but going further with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:21 am 

Especially when we've seen Jessica Walter and Jeffrey Tambor play the younger versions of those characters. (edit: But the origins of Barry Zuckercorn were pretty funny)

Some people got tired of the Ron Howard motif but I didn't. They made Ron (I call him Ron now) an actual character while the narrator is not Ron Howard the character is still Ron Howard. I mean we meet Ron in a space ship!

On that note, I was surprised on how showbiz-centric this season was.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Please welcome the talented voices of Phineas and Ferb.

Also random gifs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:21 pm 

That way we have it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2