Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Lincoln
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:27 pm 

It's good. Very dialogue heavy. Daniel Day-Lewis exceeds the impossible expectations I had about his performance, but the supporting cast deserves cheers as well (notably: Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones). Aside from his typical tendency to "over-end" his movies, Spielberg sort of lets the movie drive itself. It feels like he's just keeping the ship steady rather than steering it's course. I like that there are no clean hands in politics. Lincoln had to lie, cheat and steal to get the 13th Amendment passed. Some may call that cynical, but I find it to be the very nature of politics. But I'm already cynical. I think too often we deify men like Lincoln and as a result we lose the true accomplishments of those men.

The movie left me pondering the origins of slavery. Perhaps I'm too far removed in time to truly comprehend it's original motivations, but I don't know where one's brain goes when one looks at a fellow human being and come to the conclusion: that's property and it belongs to me.

I wish someone would give the Lincoln treatment to George Washington. There's a lot of demystification necessary to appreciate our first President.

Post subject: Re: Lincoln
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:29 pm 

DD-L is awesome of course. I like the political maneuvering aspect and anytime Lincoln says something. and the amputated arms scene that was going on in Washington for some reason. Was there a battle near by? TLJ was ok. Everything else was TV movie quality. Really corny scene when the amendment was ratified. So many actors you recognize from other places was distracting, like in Thin Red Line. Rothstein is in it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:11 am 

Yeah, Layne made an unconvincing Grant.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:26 am 

Crutch wrote:
Yeah, Layne made an unconvincing Grant.

That really nagged me. Could not figure out who it was. Grant wasn't British! Sol star was the other, hadn't seen Deadwood in awhile. The cast is pretty ridiculous. The maid was from ER which I haven't seen in years but still remembered her. The casting person must've been catching up on their TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 pm 

And we all remember this fine gentlemen.

In all seriousness, he did a great job in that movie.

I'm glad that TV talent is sharing the silver screen. TV is better than the majority of movies nowadays, imo.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]