Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: The Bridge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm 

Apparently, more people commit suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge than anywhere else on Earth. At least this is according to the folks who made this documentary about it.
They set up cameras at the bridge anticipating footage of jumpers. About one every two weeks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnpb_Q4o ... re=related

Post subject: Re: The Bridge
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 am 

Great documentary. A bit of a rough watch if you're sensitive to the topic of suicide, though. I saw it a few years ago, but the final 'scene' is still cemented in my brain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 am 

cyberspaceship wrote:
.. but the final 'scene' is still cemented in my brain.

you mean "Gene" with his arms spread out? yeah that was some cool commitment there.
Was also interesting watching all the people who it seemed were contemplating but couldn't commit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:38 pm 

A.C.E. wrote:
you mean "Gene" with his arms spread out? yeah that was some cool commitment there.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm 

I've seen that documentary twice now.

It was done by the crew shooting continuous footage of the bridge for (I think) a year straight; hence the footage. I believe the maker of the movie got in some hot water due to the nature of what he was doing and what he presented it as (to the authorities that regulate that kind of thing).

The part I found most fascinating is the guy who is jogging along, then stops to talk on his cell phone, laughs at something the person says to him that's on the phone with him, finishes the call, climbs over and jumps to his death. What the hell? Just a very bizarre set of actions there. I wonder what that conversation entailed?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm 

I watched about a third of this movie and had to stop. Super depressing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 pm 

There's a bridge north of here called The French King Bridge...in a pretty creepy, desolate part of western Massachusetts that kind of resembles "Twin Peaks". There's a suicide or two every year up there...which is pretty high per capita, considering this ain't exactly San Fran. Something about the area and how high the bridge is. Also that part of the Connecticut River directly below it is extremely deep, the deepest part of the river as far as I know, something like 200 feet when on average the river is probably 30-40 feet deep all the way up to there. My dad said when he was growing up it was already known as a suicide bridge.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]