Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: A "recent pick-ups" thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 am 

Because everyone's a collector.

Best Buy restarted their upgrade and save sale this week, so I traded in a few DVDs I knew I was never going to watch again and picked up Alien, Aliens, Moon, X-Men, and Attack the Block on Blu-ray for $5 each ($8 for AtB). Had already seen all of them except Attack the Block which was a semi-blind buy; I'd heard good things about it from friends and was familiar with the premise and tone. Aside from Nick Frost being in it I'm not entirely sure I get the Shaun of the Dead comparisons that are bandied about. Somewhat similar vibes, I guess, but not as wacky or as funny as SotD I thought. Still a good, fun movie though.

Alien is fucking amazing on Blu-ray. Can't wait to see how the Aliens transfer turned out. Still have a coupon left over and am kinda considering going back for Alien 3 just to complete the set, but I'm not the biggest fan of the movie and am very rarely in the mood to watch it.

Moon is a great flick about a guy living alone on the Moon with a robot voiced by Kevin Spacey during a resource harvesting operation. Don't want to say much more about it, but it's a really wonderful film that any sci-fi fan should check out. Sam Rockwell is, of course, fantastic throughout.

Also picked up the Avengers Blu-ray/graphic novel set at Wal-Mart at release. Movie was awesome, book was a pretty fun read. And a couple weeks ago I wandered into FYE for some inexplicable reason, and upon entering was bombarded by a $10 sale on season 1 of Community. If only I could find the other two seasons for a comparable price. Also picked up season 1 of Batman Beyond for the same price while there, and capped off my Batman: The Animated Series collection by picking up volume 4 from Amazon a week or so later.

Post subject: Re: A "recent pick-ups" thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 pm 

Took advantage of the "upgrade and save" as well.
for $4.99 each:

Alien
American Werewolf in London
Pulp Fiction
Silence of The Lambs
Fight Club

not a bad haul for under $30

also picked up The Thing & Goodfellas for an additional $20.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:06 pm 

I'm eying that Indiana Jones blu-ray set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 pm 

Just picked up Homicide: Life On The Street Seasons 1 & 2 at Barnes and Noble for $17.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:27 pm 

Is that the series based on David Simon's book? I need to watch that at some point. And Treme, for that matter.

Got the Batman Beyond seasons 1-3 DVD pack brand new for a whopping $4 shipped, so I have an extra copy of season 1 available for gifting purposes should I need it.

Also picked up Evil Dead and the new Blade Runner set, both on Blu-ray, as b-day presents from family. My family basically makes me shop for my own presents. Some might consider this laziness and a lack of interest, I consider it avoiding getting shitty gifts.

Pre-ordered it awhile ago, but my Ultimate Blu-ray Watchmen Deluxe Special Collector's Superjazz Edition Reissue will be arriving not long into next month.

And finally, my backorder of 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, and Boondock Saints (all on Blu-ray, of course) arrived a week or two ago. $5 each and free shipping was hard to argue with. I regret not picking up Sunshine with them for the same price, but I was surprised to find out later on that we already owned it on DVD so at least I got to see it. Good flick. Great, even.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:34 pm 

Bullio wrote:
Is that the series based on David Simon's book? I need to watch that at some point. And Treme, for that matter.

It is. Not directly, but the book is the foundation. Stories and anecdotes, whathaveyou, are sprinkled for fans of the book, but shouldn't be taken as a literal adaptation. It's more of a Barry Levinson show than a David Simon show. Not knocking Levinson in the slightest, just different aesthetics in story telling.

And yeah, it's a great show. Especially those first four seasons.

And Treme is Treme.

And shopping for your own gifts is the way to go. Everyone wins.

edit: how is that Batman Beyond? I've only seen that Return of the Joker movie thing way back when. I like the idea, how's it executed? You strike me as a guy who would know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:36 am 

a got a blu-ray 3pk featuring Commando , Predator, & The Terminator for $12
also a sin city 2 disc edition for $6.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]