Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: The Avengers
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm 

Totally rad. Totally awesome. Totally totally.

Post subject: Re: The Avengers
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:02 pm 

Yeah. I dug it. Marvel deserves a triumph and this is certainly it. Awesome is the perfect adjective for the flick.

Long though. I wasn't bored, but it was fucking long.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 pm 

Kinda seems like it needs to be in order to give all of those heroes ample screen time.

I'm extremely lazy when it comes to seeing movies in a theater, so I'll probably wait for Netflix IW or the Blu-ray. There was a theater literally across the street from my old college and I only went to it once to see 300. Joss Whedon + Marvel is enough to make me seriously consider actually making the drive to a theater, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:05 am 

Saw it with my 13-year-old and it was actually the first father/son movie beyond the the realms of animation. Lots of fun, Mark Ruffalo might be the best Hulk so far.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 am 

"Puny god!"

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:38 pm 

I liked it. I think this one more than all the others that came before it does the best job of capturing the essence of super hero comic books.

Sweet reveal during the credits too.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:59 pm 

I think the only thing that stuck in my craw was the quickie way they resolved the remaining horde of invading aliens. Otherwise, just about anything and everything I'd want in a superhero movie.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:57 pm 

I'll be waiting till the DVD/Blu-Ray release or inevitable Director's Cut before watching it. I simply can't stand theatres.

The last movie I saw in one was the Hangover (the previous one was Blair Witch cause my friends sort of forced me to go) and I almost punched someone because he kept narrating the fucking movie.

"Oh look a there's a chicken". No shit motherfucker. Nobody else watching the 100ft screen would have seen that. Thanks to you we can all enjoy the movie that much more now.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:57 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
I think the only thing that stuck in my craw was the quickie way they resolved the remaining horde of invading aliens. Otherwise, just about anything and everything I'd want in a superhero movie.

so probably seeing this in the next few days...was keeping my expectations low but it's getting difficult.....how would you rank it along side the last couple batman movies, or the first iron man?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:26 pm 

JxDx wrote:

so probably seeing this in the next few days...was keeping my expectations low but it's getting difficult.....how would you rank it along side the last couple batman movies, or the first iron man?

On par with Batman Begins and Iron Man 1 and Spider-Man 2, imo. Seriously, one of the best for sure.

It's hard to fuck with the Dark Knight.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 am 

I'd actually say it was a little better than the first Iron Man, just because the end fight in Iron Man seemed much more perfunctory (as in "Okay, we're at the end of the movie, so I guess we have to have Stark and Stane duke it out"), whereas in The Avengers the whole movie led up to the giant, city-wide smash-em-up. You can't escape that sort of massive CGI set-piece in these films, but with The Avengers, it felt like it belonged and not like a requirement.

Funny, though, that Iron Man had the same sort of conclusion to the action sequence in both flicks.

Completely separate animal from The Dark Knight (the former's an action movie, the latter a drama), so I can't really compare the two, but all things considered, The Dark Knight is still the best of the best of the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:23 pm 

Thanks, crutch and arz....makes me look forward to this weekend when I can finally catch it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:23 am 

The final setpiece was really kick ass. Possibly the best ever. I'd skip up until that point if I'm watching the movie again. That whole period when Loki is imprisoned was really boring.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:18 am 

It fucking rocked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:50 pm 

I'll make arrangements to see The Avengers, because it's worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm 

Picked up the Blu-ray at release. Fucking awesome movie. My inner child that grew up on superhero comics and cartoons (I was primarily a Marvel child growing up) was just squeeling the whole time. It's easily the best done live screen adaptation of the crazy, larger than life superhero experience yet. And it's only going to get crazier with Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2 (which Whedon is thankfully on board for).

I'm still in a state of disbelief that all of these Marvel movies have been and are being made. The idea of a real, actual X-Men movie was so incredible that it broke something in my young teenage brain way back in 2000. But a multi-movie lead-in to a big crossover Avengers flick, and that it turned out so great, and opened the door for stuff like a GotG and Ant-Man movie? I mean, who in the hell would have ever guessed we'd get a fucking Guardians of the Galaxy movie? Not to mention a movie with...well, that guy shown during the credits of Avengers. The idea of a movie of that story...oh man.

Oh, and we're also getting a Days of Future Past X-Men movie. And a Wolverine in Japan movie. It's like...fuck!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]