Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:21 am 

A local critic raved about the Joan/Don interactions while trashing the Kinsey/Crane reunion. I guess I enjoyed seeing what became of Kinsey (you know they're gonna have to revisit Salvatore before this is all said and done), but I guess ultimately it just painted Crane in the same brushstroke as the rest of them. He fucked his friend's gal, but when the totality of Kinsey's predicament hit him, he ultimately did the most humane thing he could think of for his friend (forciblly removing him from a parasite/manipulator/defective personality). A pretty good thread for one of the secondary characters.

Last couple of episodes just reinforce how batshit Don, Megan and Betty all are. They're pretty much piling on at this point.

Oh, the Layne embezzlement (or the potential of it?) is fucking huge! That was an out-of-left-field development. Man, what a pisser (speaking as a Layne fan). Dude wasn't paying his taxes to Britain! Big trouble ahead for the agency if he is taking out lines of credit to pay for his own troubles.

With this show, the last two or three episode are always the payoff for everything that's come before it. Season One had Pete going to the partners about Don's secret past, Season Two the whole Bobbi and Duck shittery, Season Three the divorce and the cleanout of the old agency, Season Four - Megan. Some shit is gonna drop in the next three weeks.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:22 am 

Crushing.

I posted on the bus to a hipster doom show earlier tonight that the latest Game of Thrones episode was it's greatest ever, but from a pure storytelling/plot standpoint this demolished it in every conceivable way. Pivotable stuff.

Once it invariably gets out how Joan got her partnership stake (either Pete the shithead or Cosgrove the oblivious goofball), it'll be game over for her. And good for Peggy for standing up for herself, but that's probably not ending well either.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:02 am 

Yeah. That was a whole mess of top notch Mad Men. It gave me chills. This show is fucking fantastic.

Jon Hamm did really well in this episode. The last scene I swear his nostrils where puffing with smoke filled rage.

And while they're totally different shows, I agree: Mad Men > Game of Thrones.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:47 am 

It's hard for me to compare, the shows are so vastly different, it's apples and oranges.

I just hope they follow Peggy's arc, I don't know if I can watch this show without Peggy. She's the one decent person on a show filled with shades of asshole.

I suppose this season has redeemed Joan a bit, especially with her finally ditching that scumbag husband, and Megan may be annoying but she's not a bad person, but if Peggy gets written off, I may not come back next season. I can barely stand most of these people, the only way I come back is if I get a hint that this ends in a workplace murder spree.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:57 am 

Building on Jam8's "workplace murder spree" thought, I'd have Pete at the top of my hit list...Weiner & Co. have done a brilliant job making him the biggest asshole in a sea of lesser, albeit formidable, assholes...his scenes in this past episode had me wanting to reach through the screen and strangle his scrawny neck.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:25 pm 

I imagine we'll stick with Peggy. I think it's one of the reasons why they have her going to what's-his-fuck. But I don't know why I get the sense that Megan is up to something shady. Maybe something with her father, or maybe just a good ol' fashioned affair but I wouldn't put any of these characters in the "good" pile. They're all fucked up.

Pete is the worst. I like watching him because I love hating him.

And comparing Mad Men to Game of Thrones is unfair. I'm just saying, gun to my head...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:10 am 

Yeah, it's apples and oranges. I guess I just wanted to say it was a remarkable night of TV watching. Can't remember two series (much less episodes) of that caliber overlapping on the same night. All in all though, I think Mad Men is more my speed. It's been the best show on TV for years now, although Breaking Bad did finally catch (and probably surpassed) it in their fourth season.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 am 

I'm w/ Crutch re: Megan...something's up...her all-too-brief audition scene in the last episode for the three weirdos on the couch raised an eyebrow, and she looked guilty about something later in the show when she was w/ Don...maybe she is of the persuasion that she's gonna have to fuck her way to the top of the acting world...maybe not...but something's up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
Man, what a pisser (speaking as a Layne fan).

Sorry for your loss, Mr. Red.

I can't help but notice that whenever Don tries to get someone to secretly "disappear" so to speak, this happens. I'm thinking of his brother from season 1, specifically.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:03 am 

I had totally forgotten about his brother. How did they not tie that into this? I guess I'm not that invested in the totality of the show/Don?

Anyway that was great. Disturbing. I am pretty sure I lost sleep over that as crazy as that may seem. Sunday nights are tough for me to get back on track, but this one really jacked it up for me. Goddamnmit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 am 

Well, they definitely brought back the brother tonight in a big way. It was funny how I had completely forgotten about that. They'd pretty much buried the Don past life stuff with his marriage to Betty.

It was kind of a pile-on Don episode with the Megan and Layne issues, both of which I think Don handled with the utmost honor/sensibility. Even bringing Peggy back showed that his disciple had grown her own wings and was capable of determining her own fate swimming against a huge upstream current. Thanks to Don.

The Pete thread was pretty sad. At least we got to see him get his ass kicked twice more. It'll be interesting to see where the apartment in the city leads to.

Getting a graphical nudity warning for this show and it ending up being Roger's ass was a total kick in the balls.

Really good season overall. I'm giving it an A-, maybe A. I probably need to revisit the whole series and see where it sits overall. I'm thinking season three might be my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:31 am 

Damn, it just dawned on me that that gal in the bar with Don at the end (the blonde one) was the gal that Megan fucked out of that "Beauty and Beast" commercial? Haha, totally great and kind of a sly/underhanded cliffhanger. The blonde really isn't doing the dirty work, just greasing the wheel. Which side of Don is going to respond?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 pm 

New season tonight. I have no idea where is show is going, but I'm always excited to tag along.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:01 pm 

Don will be a Born Again convert by the end of this and help to sell God to people.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:18 pm 

vol.4 wrote:
Don will be a Born Again convert by the end of this and help to sell God to people.

Or he'll go all Walter White on us...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:12 am 

Finally caught up on this season...

I was mostly indifferent for most of the run, but the recent developments of the merger Ted's agency and Don's realization that he is beginning to lose his invincibility have pulled me back in. A read a blog somewhere that noted it would make an interesting series to have Ted as the protagonist always competing, fighting upstream against this guy who is a total slacker/drunk, yet continually falls ass-backwards into the glory and dough.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:27 am 

Liking this season although I felt kinda dirty being turned on by Lindsay Weir.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:46 pm 

Finally saw the most recent episode...Don and Betty's post-fuck talk was possibly the high point of the season w/ Betty hitting the nail on the head re: Don's decay and his issues - to put it mildly - with marriage...when someone as crazy as Betty is a voice of reason, you know you're fucked... Peggy's stabbing and subsequent breakup with Abe in the ambulance was one for the ages...I'll bet someone a pack of smokes that Don will ultimately die of lung cancer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 am 

I've smoked hash before - what the hell was Don smoking for all of that to happen?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:56 am 

I don't know. That whole dream sequence had The Sopranos fingerprints all over it though. Makes you wonder how much of that show's direction really came from Weiner. David Chase hasn't exactly set the world on fire since that show went dark.

Kind of a fun, frivolous episode. Kind of like the whole season. It seems like Campbell has the most going on with his arc. It seems like he'll end up being the casualty (or the Lane Pryce) this time around. The walls seem to be closing in and he doesn't have the tools or confidence to bounce back like Don does.

But they haven't done a whole lot this season. Basically reinforced that Don is doomed to be Don. They're apparently ending this all in the next season and it'll be interesting to see if Weiner ends this with more finality than they did The Sopranos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 am 

I get the feeling that Don isn't going to make it out of this show alive. This has been Joan's season, imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:22 pm 

I don't usually get into show theories but the "Megan Draper as Sharon Tate" theory did catch my eye (link below)...and I'm firmly in the "Don Dies In The End" group...Pete is so irrational and temperamental that I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him do something rash that gets him hurt or worse...however, his meeting w/ Duck suggested something more sinister on the business side of things...I can see Duck using Pete to achieve whatever the fuck his objective might be.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... 1517.story

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 pm 

I still can't get over the fact that John Slattery (Roger Sterling) is only 5 years older than me. That guy looks like he's 70, not 50.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:38 pm 

Been watching seasons 1-5 on Netflix over the last month or two, and enjoying the show immensely. The dialogue is sublime, and the characters usually do the unpredictable.

However, it has definitely changed since the first season, and not for the better, in my opinion. The first season focused much more on the creativity of the profession, and less on the drama and sex. The first few sex scenes were almost chaste, sort of how you were expected to be in the 50s into the 60s. Not that I mind seeing the tasty flesh in the later seasons, but I though that differentiated it further from a lot of the other bullshit on tv. It has also become a lot more about soap opera kind of drama, and less about what is left unsaid. There was more space and quiet in the first few seasons.

I've been watching it just to see what happens, and it's still better than most other shit out there. I just wish they had kept some of those early sensibilities. Maybe that happens with every show, I dunno. I think Breaking Bad has stayed consistent, where Mad Men hasn't.

Anyway, haven't seen any of season 6, but probably will at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:28 pm 

Another Soap. Meh.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next