Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: What We Do is Secret
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am 

Broke down and finally watched The Germs movie last night. It's streaming on Netflix. It was not at all as bad as I expected it to be. The main actor actually sort of looked close. At least a lot closer than Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison for instance. It was done sort of Mockumentary style, with interviews with the "band members" interspersed with scenes of them playing, shooting up, and hanging out. Lorna was played by Bijou Phillips (Daughter of John Mamas/Papas) They portrayed Don as sort of a fool.

Post subject: Re: What We Do is Secret
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:38 pm 

I had misunderstood what this would be and thought it was a real documentary...so I turned it off angrily after 3 minutes because framing it as a documentary but with actors seemed ridiculous to me.

Maybe if I have some downtime I will give it another shot with a better attitude.

Post subject: Re: What We Do is Secret
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:37 pm 

haha, yeah that would have sucked for me too. I would have turned it off and shot the screen it rode in on.
I actually thought it was going to be a typical lame ass recollection by people who weren't there. The fake interview/documentary thing at first was a bit weird because I didn't know they were going to do that, but then I just went with it and "enjoyed" it. Pat had a lot to do with the story I guess. So at least someone who was there had some input. the "Black Flag" scene was totally ridiculous and I didn't get it but for the most part it was fine. Actors as The Damned are in it too and a funny scene where "Belinda" says she cant perform because she is too shy on stage, or something like that.
I bought GI as soon as it came out and was blown away that there were actually like...songs on it. Live they were not like that at all.
Ha ha, maybe try it again and you'll prob'ly still hate it but...like I said I was expecting it to totally suck and my friend who I saw The Germs with a few times told me he saw it and so I gave it a shot. Watched the whole thing too. My wife even liked it and she never saw them. She likes watching me (bust out an occasional) smile though and perhaps it was just a fucking trip down ol memory lane, i dont know. They even showed him in his Adam Ant with feathers look. For me the line is very blurred on DC Band and The Germs I saw both and don't know the difference, seemed the same. Sometimes Lorna, sometimes not?

Oh and in case you hadn't heard, the actor who starred in it actually played some shows with Pat, etc and they called it The Germs! Whatever.
He was the main reason I refused to see it for so long because I heard he is a Soap Opera actor but it turns out he was a producer or something on the show too. He actually played his part well. Even had fucked up teeth.

Oh and for the record: I'm not saying it's Good. Just saying it isn't as bad as it could have been.

Edit to add: a buddy of mine saw it based on my recommendation. He told me he tried, and I was wrong, it totally sucked and he couldn't get through the first ten minutes. Hated it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]