Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Wire
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:14 am 

That's right, a thread on The Wire.

I got the complete series DVD box set for xmas and have been working my way through it, and the series, and for the first time. Currently have the last two episodes of season 1 left before progressing to the rest of them. But I am loving what I've seen so far. I've put off sleep a couple nights already just to work through an episode or two more.

Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:42 pm 

Oh man. Enjoy this.

You will be blown away I predict by season 4. I can't praise The Wire enough. It's simply the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:46 pm 

The greatest show in the history of television

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 am 

Demon Lung wrote:

Simple as that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:32 am 

jmucke wrote:
Demon Lung wrote:

Simple as that.

I stand by this statement 100%.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 am 
Site Admin

It really is something special to watch and in light of the discussion of procedurals and serials in the Star Trek thread, I think it's fascinating to see the Wire now in light of all the shows it's influenced since.

They peak in the third season. The last two are still great to watch, but the fourth sits on the other end of preachy and the fifth is basically David Simon writing himself into the martyr role as a noble newspaper editor. Pretty clear that at some point the dude started buying into his own press. And since you have the DVDs, I'll say too that if there's any of that interview footage of him talking about the show and the "important work" they were doing, you'd do better to skip it.

I'm currently rewatching the second season since they're showing it on DirecTV, and there's some overracting there from the dock workers, but still, the show is the best drama ever shown on television. Best I've seen, anyhow.

Stringer Bell ftw.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 pm 

Crutch wrote:
You will be blown away I predict by season 4.

You are crazy, man. Season 4?!

I'd predict he'll be blown away by the middle of season 1. Best television show EVER.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 am 

It really is the best show in the history of television. I'm pretty sure it was proven with math.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:41 am 

The Lodger wrote:
It really is the best show in the history of television. I'm pretty sure it was proven with math.

and science

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 am 

Adam wrote:
Crutch wrote:
You will be blown away I predict by season 4.

You are crazy, man. Season 4?!

I'd predict he'll be blown away by the middle of season 1. Best television show EVER.

Prediction confirmed.

Is Bubbles actually calling McNulty "McNutty", or is that his mumbled accent I'm hearing? I remember when they met in the basement office but I don't remember exactly how the conversation went so I don't remember if it's a "thing" that was established right then.

Through episode seven of season two. I worry a bit that I'm blowing through it too quickly, but I'm at the point where not watching it is interfering with my life more than watching it is. Needless to say, I'm definitely hooked and enjoying being so. The first season felt like it would have worked as a mostly self contained story, but I got the sense early on in season 2 that it was going to blow open and drag everything into the mix. If it wasn't apparent before that that's what was happening then s2e7 made it pretty obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:17 am 

I dunno. During my first Wire bender, I short circuited at season 4 and proceeded to call my friends and relatives and preach the gospel.

Mr. Taskmaster; for shit storms sake, what did you find preachy about season 4?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 am 

Season 4 is preachy in a way (the kids, you know) but I watched it when my son entered 5th grade and I found it almost heartbreaking at times. Made me realize that, while we bitch a lot about our educational system, it can get a lot lot worse.
When I watched Season 5 the magazine I work for went through the first round of major cuts (round three is just around the corner) so that struck a special note too. I have a picture of the editor with the quote "More with less" on my wall but my bosses don't get it.

Last edited by jmucke on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm 

Season 4's dissection of our current and crisis-laden educational system is totally on point and enthralling. It's the finest season of the show. Season 3 is also great but relies a bit more on standard gangster storylines IMO.

Yes indeed, best t.v. show ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:23 pm 

Having taught in North Philly for a couple years right out of college, I really enjoyed season 4. Thought they did a great job depicting the whole system.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 am 
Site Admin

Crutch wrote:
Mr. Taskmaster; for shit storms sake, what did you find preachy about season 4?

JkFlesh wrote:
Season 4's dissection of our current and crisis-laden educational system is totally on point and enthralling. It's the finest season of the show. Season 3 is also great but relies a bit more on standard gangster storylines IMO.

Actually, pretty much this. It was with Season Four that David Simon seemed to really go all out in believing he could make a difference and shifted the focus from telling a story with more behind it to telling the more behind it through a story. It's still a great season, and I'm stoked to watch it again when it comes up in this current round.

For me though, the third season was something really special in terms of the story, the established characters of the show and the drama. You could think of it like the climax of a five-act play, each season of the show has a purpose in the overall arc -- exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, denouement -- and also an arc within itself. Like I said before, it's the best drama I've ever seen on tv.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:34 am 

I wrapped up season 3 earlier today (or yesterday now, I guess) and am through the first three of season 4. I think h.p.'s right so far in regards to the flow of the show. It's obviously still early in the season, but it feels like the show is "coming down" from everything that went down in season 3. Season 3 felt like it was meant to be the end of the show, but I don't know if that's the case. I've heard random musings about the show struggling to stick around for as many years as it did and being in danger of being canceled after pretty much every season, so maybe the writers thought they were done but were surprised to be picked up again?

Anyway, I'm liking season 4 a lot so far. There's a tone shift going on so far that I can't really pinpoint, but it feels more...humanizing, I guess?...than the previous seasons. With McNulty and his activities seemingly relegated to a distant background role and MCU's investigation being a secondary plot point there seems to be more room for the exploration of other characters, especially the school and kids, in this season's story. As if Baltimore itself is being given more focus as a character than in previous seasons.

I felt so sorry for Prez the second he walked through that door in the first episode of season 4 because I knew things were not going to go well for him. And since there isn't much in the way of happy endings with this show I just know things aren't going to end well for him either. The people that can survive teaching in the inner city are much better people than I. Not that it's quite the same situation, but I did some residential counseling/group-home work and I finally stopped denying some hard truths about myself after a year of it. The people that make careers out of teaching in these places and working with troubled adolescents will forever have my respect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:43 am 

Season 4 is obviously Ed Burns' baby (not to be confused with the actor), a frequent collaborator of Simon. He was a cop for 20 years and then became a public school teacher.
Burns and Simon wrote the book "The Corner" together which is a great read - as is Homicide by Simon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:17 pm 

Season 3, 4, and 5, IMO, are meant to show the cyclical nature of the "game." Where Barksdale falls, Marlo Stamfield rises.

Season 4 is the best example, also IMO, of how this show exhibits it's much lauded "visual novel" approach to it's plot structure.

It all starts with Snoop purchasing a nail gun. Fucking brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:08 am 

The Corner does not get mentioned enough although it is basically the same greatness as The Wire. I assume because it is so depressing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:00 pm 

vol.4 wrote:
The Corner does not get mentioned enough although it is basically the same greatness as The Wire. I assume because it is so depressing.

I concur...I immediately scooped up "The Corner" after devouring "The Wire" and it was initially disappointing....but after thinking about it, it's every bit as good, but there is no comic relief (even the few funny parts are laden with depressing shit) and no real action for distraction. It's too real, even despite the slightly odd delivery.

Also, yeah....best show ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 am 
Site Admin

I've never seen The Corner and didn't really even know anything about it. Definitely Not Downloading™ it right now, and looking forward to checking it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:13 pm 

Never knew about The Corner either.

Knew about the book, yeah, but not that it was made into a TV series. Read Homicide by David Simon and enjoyed it so I've been interested in reading The Corner too, now I guess it will be a test to see which one I get to first, the book or tv series.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 am 

Reading Homicide on top of the Wire makes for a VERY rich experience. Haven't tried it with The Corner, but I intend to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:12 am 

Unexpected bit of trivia. Jason Simon from Dead Meadow is David Simon's nephew. And apparently I'm not far enough into the show to have heard them being played. Or I am and overlooked it.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... _from.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:03 am 

That Dead Meadow-bit with McNulty cracked me up. Of course I had to explain it to my wife ("Thats his nephews band, an injoke, its funny!") and she looked at me like she was married to the biggest nerd in the world.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next