Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Prometheus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 am 

Spoilers possible

Got lucky and caught a press screening today (so I don't have to wait until August). Surprisingly I found it so so in the end. It looks great (but was 3D really necessary?) and it has some of the early Alien-vibe. But those have to be the dumbest scientists EVER and that weakened the story a lot.
The DIY-abortion was badass.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am 

Great, great movie. It didn't live up to my expectations though, but they were unrealistically high.
I wouldn't call it an Alien-prequel in the popular sense of the word. But the two movies are definetly related and have similarities.
One of the best scifi-films since Blade Runner, and Ridley Scotts best work since then as well.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:42 pm 

I thought it was fantastic, with some exceptions.
Yes, the scientists were extremely dumb. I also think they tried to cram too much story in, to set up a possible next movie as the actual prequel.
I thought the 3D was great, and a perfect example of how the technology should be used, to increase depth, instead of having shit shoot off-screen at you. The trailer for the Spider Man re-boot was shown beforehand (also in 3D), and it is all sorts of shit shooting at you distracting, the exact opposite of this.
The first time they show the "map of the universe" is one of the most visually enjoyable scenes I can remember seeing in some time, and most of the movie returns to the Scott / Giger clinical feel that I enjoy so much from the original.

Good chance I'll go see it in this form (Imax 3D) again next week, just because it is so visually engrossing, i find myself staring at different points of the screen with so much detail to be seen.

9/10 for above mentioned reasons, and a couple of scenes and points not mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:37 pm 

I thought it was average at best. It was interesting mostly because it was a story with 4 acts rather than 3. But I'm so jaded from being such a cinephile that I'm very receptive to stuff like that. Things have to be shaken up.

My biggest complaint was that the male scientist was HORRENDOUSLY miscast. That pretty boy wasn't believable as that character in the slightest. And the film would have been much miuch more interesting from almost every angle if they had cast an older, more refined man in that role. Even from the character's POV it would make sense that Dr. Shaw would be with an older man, a father figure, with the history that they reveal of her.
Instead its a dumbass hunk that looks like he just walked off of the cover of "Men's Health" magazine. Such a bad move.

Also, they forgot to add a character that all Aliens movie have had so far.... A SCARY SHIP.
JeeZUS... with the holograms and the fancy technology, they didn't realize that one of the main ingredients of the Alien franchise if the setting. A bleak and dark space existence.

Movie FAIL.
*and yes, I have edited my post because I had time alone the day after I saw it and the more I thought about it the more I realize that this movie was an opportunity wasted.

Last edited by HORNS on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:31 am 

I think the whole Shaw angle wouldve been better had she just been older... a career scientist that never had time for a family.
The size of the crew is one of the failings of the movie. couldve scrapped at least 3, maybe 4 of those roles with ease, maybe given some more time to Theron's character.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:09 pm 

Amazing fuckin movie. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I'm going to go see it again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:23 pm 

I kind of agree with this review http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/06/08/ ... rometheus/. It's a beautiful but extremely stupid movie with bad characters, average acting at best and too many plot holes. It was fun to watch and the story had great potential but it's so dumbed down and shallow it's a huge disappointment. It just doesn't deserve to be Alien's prequel.

Post subject: Prometheus
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 am 

It isn't alien prequel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 am 

Demon Lung wrote:
It isn't alien prequel

It's not a direct prequel to the story but it vaguely explains xenomorphs and the mysterious "space jockey" from the first Alien. And, if I understood correctly, it will even more in the sequel. So technically it is a prequel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:29 pm 

Ridley Scott now has James Cameron disease. All style no substance. Yep the effects are great - everything else sucked the big one. I hated the characters, it dragged on, the plot was stupid, acting was one-dimensional. The plot holes, inconsistencies and absurd pseudo science was laughable - literally. There were plenty of people laughing out loud at the session I was in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 pm 

HORNS wrote:
My biggest complaint was that the male scientist was HORRENDOUSLY miscast. That pretty boy wasn't believable as that character in the slightest.

He was the worst part of the movie. I still don't understand his character at all. He's a scientist and has spent years cultivating a thesis that our ancestors come from a distant alien planet. They travel light years to get there, immediately find massive amounts of evidence to support and validate his theory, but since he didn't get to talk to one of them in the 15 minutes they explored the place he decides that he's disappointed and begins to drink excessively to deal with those emotions.

How does someone paid to be a screen writer come up with something so ridiculous?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:35 am 

juggernaut wrote:
HORNS wrote:
My biggest complaint was that the male scientist was HORRENDOUSLY miscast. That pretty boy wasn't believable as that character in the slightest.

He was the worst part of the movie. I still don't understand his character at all. He's a scientist and has spent years cultivating a thesis that our ancestors come from a distant alien planet. They travel light years to get there, immediately find massive amounts of evidence to support and validate his theory, but since he didn't get to talk to one of them in the 15 minutes they explored the place he decides that he's disappointed and begins to drink excessively to deal with those emotions.

How does someone paid to be a screen writer come up with something so ridiculous?

don't even go as far to say how the scientists just run in and start grabbing and touching things.
to get that far into that cave would've taken months.

Lindeloff is a shitty writer at best. I can't believe they want him to RE-WRITE world war z.
that will be this decade's Waterworld, because it has to get made at this point

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 am 

Mr Neutron wrote:
juggernaut wrote:
HORNS wrote:

don't even go as far to say how the scientists just run in and start grabbing and touching things.
to get that far into that cave would've taken months.

Lindeloff is a shitty writer at best. I can't believe they want him to RE-WRITE world war z.
that will be this decade's Waterworld, because it has to get made at this point

True. The scene with the biologist trying to pet the snake was so ridiculous it made me angry. Um, you're a biologist on a foreign planet looking at alien life for the first time and your first instinct is to pet it when it's making an obvious threat display? It's like he forgot all of the things on earth that will kill you that look just like that thing.

Hey look how cute this slimy menacing snake creature is...I think I'll make him my pet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:39 pm 

I enjoyed this but definitely a bit of a letdown. Every critique that I have read here I agree with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am 

Charlize Theron: "We're half a billion miles from Earth..."

Lol. Good thing you're hot.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2