Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 54 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am 

It argues persuasively?

Tons of plot logic problems with the movie, but, overall, I enjoyed it. Good entertainment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:44 am 

GodShifter wrote:
It argues persuasively?

Yep. It sure does.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:08 am 

Plot? What plot? You could write that story on the back of a napkin. Thats fine with me because its a superhero-movie after all. But stretch it out to almost three hours and pretend to address some "big issues"? Boring. I hope that, after Man Of Steel, Nolan does some original stuff again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:43 am 

True, as a comic book movie, it doesn't have to make sense nor does it, and that's perfectly acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:17 pm 

Good? yes...Epic even? yes...Flawed? certainly...pretty much exactly what I expected.

The only two things that really took me out of the trance were

A: Both Bane and Batman, when fighting opponents, were like fast efficient ninja machines...then when they fought eachother it was mostly like watching fat drunks in a bar duke it out...bummed me out.

B: No way that bitch just jumps on the batcycle and knows what to do, fuck that.

Outside of those two things, I was able to suspend disbelief (admittedly the football field collapse was also retarded, but I was braced for that thanks to the previews)

So a good end to the trilogy overall, I'm satisfied.

Hoping Man of Steel isn't total shit, but I honestly have always hated Superman as a comic book hero...not sure Nolan can change my mind....someone else said it earlier: he needs to get back to original material...he's clearly a fantastic filmmaker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:08 pm 

I think idea of Catwoman knowing how to work the Batcycle (or whatever it's called), is to show how adept she is at stealing or figuring things out. She is, after all, a world class jewel thief, so it makes sense she can crack safes, hotwire cars, and be at home in whatever she decides to steal or wherever she is, really.

As far as Batman and Bane having, basically, a slug fest seems to be that these are two supreme heavy weights that know each other's strengths and weaknesses, so, in the end, it comes down to brutal mano-y-mano duel. No, jumping around, no real quickness involved, just sheer hand to hand, physical fighting.

I had a lot of problems with the movie, myself, but those are just some observations from a guy that's seen it a few times and thought about the movie a bit (plot being not congruent and other problems).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:14 pm 

Saw this today. My first movie in a theater since 300, which was my first since...Fellowship. Yeah, I don't go to the movies much. Spoiler stuff starting with the third paragraph.

It was the most comic-booky movie of the trilogy. I really liked it, but I think it's the weakest of the three. There was an air of believability and a sense of elegance to the first two (much moreso in TDK than Begins with regards to the latter) that I thought was completely absent here. The plot just simply wasn't as strong as the first two either, lack of subtlety hurt here too, but for as long as the film was (which I wasn't at all bothered by) and how many things it had going on in it I thought Nolan did an admirable job pulling it off. And damn, if you like your Batman stories dark, you'll love this. I was totally bummed throughout most of it, and I walked away from it thinking it was one of the darkest Batman stories I'd ever experienced. Also, props to Hathaway. I was never completely sold on the idea of her as Selina, but she was great.

I thought this took a lot of cues from The Dark Knight Returns. While the plot itself wasn't really similar, I thought there were a lot of parallels between the two. It hit a lot of the same emotional and thematic cues, and did so almost exactly in the order they happened in the book. I suppose it's apt, though. Begins had Year One vibes to it, so if you're going to vibe the best origin story you might as well end with a story that vibes the best "last" Batman story.

I think being a fan of the character and franchise totally ruined some of the twists, and I had some advance knowledge about who Miranda really was before seeing this that I really wish I didn't have. I spent most of the movie waiting for her to reveal herself. Kudos to Nolan for waiting until the end to do it; it took so long to happen that I actually started to doubt it was going to happen. He still managed to reveal her in a way I didn't quite expect, but I started suspecting after the Wayne Enterprises power exchange. The Blake reveal was painfully obvious right from the start though. I knew he would end up where he did, but I wasn't completely sure if he would suit up or not before it ended.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:18 am 

Watched all the special features in the Blu-Ray copy. It goes really in depth into the production side of things. It's a little ridiculous how many practical effects (gigantic sets, location pyro rigging, stunt fighting thousands of extras) were used but I admire the heft of a film like this. They just don't make too many "movie" movies anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 pm 

That's one thing I loved about Nolan's films: the lack of CGI. It really does add to the gritty, realistic feel of the flicks. I always point back to the T-Rex in Jurassic Park for why physical is, for the most part, better than CGI (Avengers' Hulk being one of the rare examples of CGI being done very right). Nolan Trilogy is the modern example I use.

I bought the Target digibook, but I bought it for a relative to give me for xmas so I have to wait to see any of the special features or read the included comic. I'm curious as to who wrote it. Really looking forward to seeing the Batmobile documentary. I'm not normally one that gives a shit about special features, but the stuff for Nolan's Batman films have been pretty neat.

Already saw TDKR in the theaters, so it's not as if I'm dying here not having seen it. I'm totally doing a trilogy marathon on xmas day after I do get it, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 pm 

That Batmobile doc is surprisingly good and really.

And he uses CGI in this film, but he uses it to add real elements together. I'm not anti-CGI, I just want it done at the point that I can't tell it's being done.

I watched The Amazing Spider-Man, that's an example of some seriously shitty CGI.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 pm 

That Batmobile doc is surprisingly good and really thorough.

And he uses CGI in this film, but he uses it to add real elements together. I'm not anti-CGI, I just want it done at the point that I can't tell it's being done.

I watched The Amazing Spider-Man, that's an example of some seriously shitty CGI.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 am 

Nolan uses CGI to supplement and enhance the physical visual effects, not as a the driving force, which makes a world of difference. The only place I can see total CGI would be sci fi/outer space stuff. Say what you want about Star Wars Episode 3, but that opening battle over Corusant is pretty fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 am 

Anyway, we watched it again last night (second viewing). The plot holes were huge - large enough to fly an armada of batwings through 'em - and yet I liked the movie more this time than when I saw it in the theater. As I said on Thee Facebooks, it was either because of diminished expectations or the shit ton of bourbon I drank throughout the viewing.

Post subject: The Dark Knight Rises
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 am 

I saw it for the first time last night and I was bad. It was either overacted or not acted very well at all depending on the actor. Banes voice to me sounded like a joke. When the french chic died in the truck that was the worst movie death that I have ever seen. Christian bale REALLY overdid his batman voice. Ad then there's the plot holes. This movie has so many holes that its like Swiss cheese

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 am 

After having seen it a couple times now, I can honestly say that I hated the why they treated the character and universe.

I just couldn't get past how they destroyed what makes Batman, Batman. The trilogy was too grounded in realism when it didn't need to be, but then allowed unrealistic scenes all over the place.

Plot holes aside, it is still entertaining if you can let go of the poor character treatment.

Honestly, I'm eagerly awaiting Man of Steel because of Zack Snyder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 pm 

Who the fuck gets excited about a Zack Snyder movie? The dude's has the steepest nosedive in Hollywood history. Dawn of the Dead was great, 300 was good, Watchmen was bad, and Sucker Punch was completely unwatchable.

Even M Night Shayamlamalmglgong didn't go tits up that quick.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 pm 

I liked Watchmen more than 300. I don't hate on Snyder all that much but I do think he's hit his ceiling. The Superman trailer looks aight.

And I liked the way they treated the universe, Ares. What do you mean they destroyed what makes Batman Batman? Sure they took some liberty with the mythos and the lore but I didn't get the sense that any of these characters are completely divorced from the characters essence.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:14 pm 

Quote:
The plot holes were huge - large enough to fly an armada of batwings through 'em

I will watch it again though. Was too long of a flick to watch late at night and didnt flow the way I wanted to when I was getting tired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 am 

Watchmen was actually very well done. Especially when you watch the Ultimate Cut. The only bad thing for me was the soundtrack. There just wasn't enough time to cram in everything from the graphic novel, but it stayed true to the point of the novel.

As far as Batman... The main thing that separates Batman from everyone else is his will, his determination. Nolan's Batman is active for a couple years, and then disappears for 8 years for no reason. Batman would never quit, and never go emo over a girl. Batman is methodical, agile, acrobatic. Nolan made him into a brawler.

I didn't like how they treated Bane vs Batman. At first it seemed like Bane was the mastermind, on equal footing with Batman intellectually. And he was physically stronger which was good. Batman is supposed to be all about planning, guile. He gets tricked by Catwoman more than once, and tries to brawl with Bane while losing his mind.

They made Batman weak, and just like any other stereotypical hero in an action flick. This is where their "realism", or attempt at it hurts the character. The problem I think, is that Nolan drew inspiration from 3 comics that have the character age like 50 years. But in the movies it's only been like 10 with.

And yeah. Definitely looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 am 

Your point about the length of time Bruce Wayne was Batman in the films is well put. But to call Batman not emo is a bit ridiculous. He's had his cry baby moments over various women in his life. Whether he'd hang it up after the loss of one is up for interpretation, imo.

I may be the only one who liked Tom Hardy as Bane, even if I think muffling his voice and dubbing the fuck out of it in the mix was a mistake.

I liked that he tried to fit Batman into a realistic setting. My favorite will still be the first one. But if I had to pick my favorite Batman thing to come out in this decade it would the video games. They get it right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

In addition to the video games, the DC animated movies do justice to him as well.

But I'm not saying he's never emo... The whole vengeance for dead parents is itself pretty emo. But the movies took it too far imo. Tom Hardy did a good job with what he was given, they just didn't give him much.

Apparently they're going to be ramping up to a Justice League movie. That will be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:56 pm 

The rumors I've been hearing about the JLA movie make me cringe. Darkseid right out of the gate is just...I dunno, it doesn't make much sense. I'd rather see them do something like a Hyperclan movie first. The Hyperclan makes some sense at least for an origin movie, and could create an opening for a Martian Manhunter origin. And it's going to have to be a "formation of the JLA" movie or everyone will be as lost as a brand new DC reader trying to jump into Final Crisis.

The approach just seems all wrong, as if they're skipping a bunch of important steps in a move to get them some of that sweet Avengers money.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:06 pm 

I don't know if spamming origin movies is the way to go. Origin movies don't do much to establish anything any way. Origin movies are about the characters before they become the icon they are known as. Captain America was boring, Hulk (Ed Norton) wasn't a true origin story, Thor sucked. Iron Man would be the exception.

It was one of the big problems with the Star Wars prequels. Nobody gives a shit about Darth Vader struggling as he grows up. They just want to see him be a badass. And most of the members of the JL can't hold a movie on their own.

I'm not gonna bother with the rumours at all. But Darkseid as an opener could be cool if it was not an invasion of Earth story line. If DC doesn't take it interstellar then it will just seem like an Avengers copy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:02 pm 

I'd love to see a program ala "Crossfire" with Bane and Phil Anselmo.

Bane: "Today's barble warble dop a doo."

Phil: "Motherfuckin' ughnnn hummmm unnnn."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 pm 

Too many plotholes, too many new characters, cheesiest death scenes ever (Talia, anyone?), not enough of Batman just being Batman, and there's absolutely no mention about the PEOPLE of Gotham. That's partly what made BB and TDK so damn good, they had the citizens of Gotham present, making it feel like a city and it's people you actually gave a shit about.. or wanted to go to hell, whichever side you took. TDKR treated Gotham as basically one giant set-piece. Lame.

Bane was a fucking bad ass, up until his death. Seriously, you have Batman come in and do mad work on the guy, just to have Catwoman roll up on her fucking bike and blast the dude away? Come on! They could have, at the very least, shown us was Bane looked like without the mask (I know it was supposed to keep him alive but we can play around, right?), had him deliver some cold-ass speech of how Batman will never defeat the League of Shadows or some shit, then get Batman to lay some fucking law on the guy.

Whatever. Maybe Man Of Steel won't suck.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 54 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next