Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 7   [ 151 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The original Star Trek
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:29 pm 

The Professor Moriarty episodes are great. Especially the 2nd one where they kind of just fuck him over lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

s02e09: "Journey to Babel" should've been called "We still don't see any point to diplomacy and Spock's parents embarrass the crap out of him." Cool to meet Ambassador Sarek and his human wife, Amanda, but the rest of the episode pretty much felt like a vehicle for that, though there were some fun costumes among the foreign dignitaries being transported on the Enterprise to allow some planet system or other into the Federation:

As one might expect, some hell breaks loose there, but more important is the storyline between Spock and his parents -- his human mother who apparently after however long being married to a Vulcan is still like, "Logic sucks, be irrational!" and his Vulcan father who's like, "I don't know why you're on a starship, that's lame, Vulcan science is awesome and your career choice sucks, by the way I need heart surgery and that'll be a shitload of blood from you please." A fun watch, and I remember from the movies that it's the same people playing Spock's parents, so good for context as well. But man, Star Trek really was not so much about diplomacy the first time around. I guess they fixed that with The Next Generation, which I'd abbreviate as TNG, but don't feel like I have any right to since I won't be watching those 178 episodes.

s09e10: "Friday's Child" had more action, which more and more is proving to be what the series is good at: Show up, find out which ass needs to be kicked, then kick it. The Enterprise is trying to go to the planet Capella IV to negotiate a mining deal for their "shiny rocks." They're a warrior people with a strange culture, but Bones has experience, so he's there and Spock too and Scotty's left in charge on the ship, which winds up getting drawn away from orbit by a distress signal that turns out to be a fake.

Meanwhile, on the planet there turns out to be a Klingon officer who also wants the mining rights so he can have them for the Klingon empire, and he claims a better understanding of the people's culture because he's a warrior too and people from earth are jerks and so forth. Some choice costumes as well here:

Soon enough, a war breaks out on the planet's surface while the Enterprise is away, stranding Kirk, Spock and McCoy, who lost their expendable red shirt almost immediately. The Capellans (above) overthrow their leader and chase his pregnant space-hottie into exile only to have her baby delivered by Bones. Julie Newmar turns out to be said space-hottie:

She doesn't want her baby, warrior's code, blah blah blah, but it's delivered anyway, and Kirk and Spock meanwhile make bows and arrows (which the Capellans never developed) and shoot the Klingon and one or two others, I guess just to nail down that mining treaty the right way. Take that, diplomacy.

In the end, the Capellan who overthrew the old leader sacrifices himself for I'm not sure what and Julie Newmar winds up in charge speaking on behalf of her newborn. Mining contract achieved for the Federation, everyone goes home happy.

Way less character driven, but probably more enjoyable than the episode before it. Both episodes were written by D.C. Fontana, who was originally Gene Roddenberry's secretary before she became script supervisor on much of the series, and vastly different, but each entertaining in their way.

I need to burn some more episodes, and this weekend's fairly packed, but hopefully I can sneak another one in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:16 pm 

This thread rules!
I love the original series more than any other Star Trek incarnation. The camp, the girls, the action, the scenery chewing performances. You can't fuck with it. Thanks for your recaps. I'm going to cue up some episodes right now as I work the weekend to make my deadline.

When I worked on The Sarah Silverman Show, it was at Hollywood center studios and my department was relegated to a few offices on the perimeter of the grounds, but one day we went over to the set to do some shit. Immediately walking into the building it smelled old, like an attic, and my friend said "Come here, you gotta see this" and on the wall is a plaque certifying that the soundstage we were standing in was the original Desilu sound stage. The place where they shot all of Star Trek.

The bridge was once standing right there. The hallways. The sick bay. Every set was built there - even this one:

And the entire soundstage is about the size of your average high school gymnasium. BLEW my mind. My firneds were saying "Can you believe 'I Love Lucy' was filmed here?" and I'm thinking "Fuck that shit, Star Trek makes this place hallowed ground!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:20 am 
Site Admin

I think somewhere in there I might have missed an episode, or at least I've been numbering them in the posts wrong. Maybe I'll go back and figure out where I screwed up. Or, you know, not do that.

Drunken Monday night capped with s02e12: "The Deadly Years."

I'll be honest, what I recall about this one was limited, but the gist is that the Enterprise encounters something that makes people old on some planet and the crew gets infected by it. Kirk, Spock, Bones, a few others. A couple people die, there's a space-hottie with whom Kirk has history. The usual:

Funny how they did the "old" makeup, though, because of course now these actors are actually old and you can see what they look like:

Kirk:

They actually kind of got Spock right:

They did Bones and Scotty too, both pretty wild. Anyway, it was a fun episode, but by the time we got there, we were already a couple bottles of wine into the night celebrating my wife's return from Portland last week. I might rewatch it at some point, but no regrets, and having watched The X-Files' version of this same idea (they called the episode "Dod Kalm"), this one was cool to see. Pretty sure Futurama did this as well.

Anyway, tonight was s02e13: "Obsession," which relied pretty heavily on backstory to give the story heft. The Enterprise wound up facing a killer fog, but it only mattered because Kirk's first assignment was on a ship where the captain got killed by what Kirk is sure is the same killer fog, plus the ship's new security ensign is that captain's son, who reminds Kirk of himself 11 years earlier when he first faced the fog:

Add to that the fact that the Enterprise is waiting to transport some perishable medicine to this or that planet while Kirk's titular obsession with the fog keeps growing, and you get a race against both death and time. They chase the fog as it goes home -- Spock decides that it's to spawn, though there's no proof of that offered -- and after first disagreeing with Kirk and calling him nuts and threatening his command, everyone comes around eventually and is all like, "Yeah, no, totally, we need to kill the fog." So they get some anti-matter in a bomb, tempt it with the red blood it needs to eat -- there's a scene where it goes after Spock and doesn't want his green Vulcan blood -- and Kirk and Young Dude Who Reminds Kirk Of Kirk rig the bomb to go off just as it's going after them. Explosion, well-timed beaming out, some suspense there, and then the episode's over.

They announce the creature -- the fog -- is dead before they can really have any direct knowledge of its death, and then Kirk is like, "Okay, let's go deliver that medicine now and I'm gonna go tell this kid about his dead-ass dad." Roll credits.

Wasn't a bad episode. Kind of classic Trek working with their formula, but with the added depth of character you couldn't really get in the earlier episodes. Also worth noting that at this point, Shatner totally has his quirky vocal rhythms down. It's awesome. I also spent the entire show thinking about this song, which isn't a bad thing either:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 am 

Heh. That track rules.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Admin

I hope you're taking these with you to Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:06 am 
Site Admin

I'll have old episodes to rewatch on the trip, but I don't want to forge ahead, since it's kind of a "Me & The Wife" thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Ah. Was antiquing with my ladyfriend this afternoon and we found a Star Trek lunchbox. Near mint, asking price, $1,395. I don't even know if they were including in the Thermos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Been a while since I actually watched either of these, but they were both pretty memorable:

s02e14: Wolf in the Fold

Kirk, Scotty and Bones are on Planet Space Hottie (Argelius II) getting some R&R, and Kirk's all like, "Hey Scotty, I totally bought you this space-prostitute," and as they leave, he and Bones are like, "That'll cure him of this header he took that might somehow cause him to hate women, or something." Space-hooker turns up dead and is one of several ladies killed throughout and it seems like the only suspect is Mr. Scott, who somehow doesn't remember anything. The prefect of the place is named Jaris and his wife holds a seance, only to turn up dead herself.

The explanation? Well, you see, it's the disembodied energy that once was known on Earth as Jack the Ripper. Sure enough, the Ripper Energy Field Or Whathaveyou possesses some bureaucrat from the planet and they wind up beaming it out into the middle of nowhere, presumably never to be seen or heard from again.

Pretty ridiculous episode, and kind of dark with all the dead ladies, who, by the end of it, are basically forgotten, including Jaris' wife. Kirk is like, "Who's up for some space-whores?" and then it's over. Not the best Trek I've ever seen.

s02e15: The Trouble with Tribbles

This one's pretty classic. People who've never even seen Star Trek know what a tribble is. I've seen it a bunch on marathons and stuff, and it was the same as ever. Some diplomatic thing about super-wheat, and the shady dude selling tribbles, Uhura enamored of them and bringing them back to the ship, where they proceed first to charm and then to take over with their incredible rate of reproduction. Star Trek hilarity ensues, and once and for all it's proven that space, however terrifying and deadly and full of drama, can also be adorable.

Some good instances of Kirk hating on diplomats here. Nilz Baris (played by William Schallert, who was on the Patty Duke Show and Rawhide, among many others) is all bossing Kirk around and Kirk gets all alpha-dog in his face, and a tribble discovers Baris' assistant is a Klingon spy (because tribbles don't like Klingons) and Kirk's all like, "See man? I told you you were a jerk."

A really long fight scene between Scotty, Chekov and a bunch of Klingons aside, this episode is about as fluffy as the tribbles themselves, but whatever. Amazing how this was one of the ones that crossed over to wider pop-cultural relevance and Arz's "killer pancakes" did not. I guess you never know what's going to take.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 pm 

Oh how I missed these, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 am 
Site Admin

To follow up, tonight was s02e16: The Gamesters of Triskelion.

What starts out like a routine check on some planet winds up with Kirk, Chekov and Uhura mysteriously transported across the galaxy to some planet where they immediately start fighting with a variety of aliens. There's a big goon, a space-hottie and a bulky but normal looking guy. If this episode wasn't the impetus behind Futurama creating Zap Brannigan, I'll be god damned.

They've been brought to the planet basically to be trained as fighters for the people who rule it (they're actually just light-up plastic brains who live underground). They're slaves, but they call them "thralls" or something like that (I immediately thought of the Danzig EP Thrall: Demonsweatlive). Chekov gets paired with some deep voiced yellow lady, Uhura with the bulky dude who turns out to be a bit rapey (kind of a horrifying scene there) and OF COURSE Kirk gets paired up with the space-hottie, whom he promptly teaches to love:

All well and good, but once they start making out in the cell where the Providers (also known as the underground light-up plastic Spacebrains) keep the thralls, Kirk punches Green Haired Space-Hottie in the face and mounts an escape with Chekov and Uhura, but they get caught by the omniscient thrallmaster, who I guess they were hoping wouldn't notice they were splitting to who knows where.

Meanwhile, on the ship, Spock is in charge and is back and forth with Bones and Scotty about chasing some ion trail across the galaxy to find the three who were taken, but he turns out to be right.

They get to the planet and the Spacebrains stop the ship and wire them into the goings on with Kirk, who bets the Spacebrains he can beat three of the other aliens in a fight. It's either he wins and everyone goes free or the other aliens win and the Spacebrains get the whole crew of the Enterprise for slaves. Kind of a crazy bet, but of course Kirk wins. In the end he can't kill Green Haired Space-Hottie, but she forfeits the fight and everyone gets to go free.

She's all like, "Take me with you, Kirk!" and Kirk's all, "Baby, no dice. I've got a whole galaxy of space-hotties to make out with and I can't have your green hair cramping my style." They beam away and she's all crying and looking at the stars and being like "I'll always love Kirk and blah blah blah" roll credits.

The Spacebrains were fantastic, the space-hottie was over the top with her foil boobs and outfit made of duct tape. The Lurch-looking guy who was in charge of the thralls was awesome, there was some killer banter with Spock and Bones and Scotty, and Chekov called the Providers "Cossacks" at one point, so really, I mark this one a win all around. A great Kirk episode, and as it had been a few weeks, I was glad to pick up where I left off with the show.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:58 am 

"Cossacks!"

Freaking great, dude.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:08 am 
Site Admin

Two episodes the last round. I think it was last week sometime. I've been real busy since then trying to decide which of my two jobs is the more frustrating. It's a toss-up at this point. More importantly:

s02e17: "A Piece of the Action"
Kirk, Spock and Bones wind up beaming down to a planet from which they received a message that's apparently 100 years old or something like that, via ol' timey radio. When they get there, they find out the last ship that was there left behind a book on 1920s Chicago gangsters and this "very impressionable" race of people built their whole society around it. I guess no one ever thought to, uh, write another book? But okay, so there's your premise, and it's basically an excuse for Kirk to put on a phony Italian accent and use a bunch of what were even then antiquated phrases about moxy and plugging people and so forth. They call the phasers "heaters," and though it's actually kind of interesting because the mobsters are basically warlords trying to take over the planet, that side of it never really gets discussed, and in the end, Kirk negotiates a take for the Federation and says they're taking over the planet. It's about the most clear-cut metaphor for imperialism Star Trek has yet concocted, but the show itself is utterly blind to it. I don't know if that makes it better or worse, but it was entertaining fluff, anyway and Spock had some good lines. If I was Italian, I probably would've been offended, even at the time. These characters made Tony Soprano look like Hamlet, but so goes progress: Slow as SunnO))).

s02e18: "The Immunity Syndrome"
Liked this one much better. A fascinating premise and about as much drama as you can ask for knowing that none of these major characters are ever going to die. The Enterprise encounters what looks like a giant psychedelic jellyfish but turns out to be a giant single-celled organism from another galaxy -- OR SOMETHING -- and can't figure out what to do with it. But it's already wiped out a Vulcan ship all at once and so they decide it has to be destroyed before it can multiply. It's a virus, essentially. A giant, all-consuming virus. Which is pretty awesome. When the Vulcan ship dies (and that's how they put it on the show), Spock is all like, "Holy crap, I feel a disturbance in the Force, except the Force doesn't exist yet because George Lucas is a tool who's a decade behind Gene Roddenberry and still less imaginative, but still, ouch, 400 dead Vulcans," and so he decides that he should be the one to take the probe into the giant cell membrane and figure out how to destroy it. Only trouble is the thing feeds on energy and if he gets too close he'll die. Well, he gets pretty close, and doesn't die. He tells the Enterprise to use anti-matter to kill it and everyone goes, "Oh yeah, totally, anti-matter! That'll work because it's a thing no one understands!" So they use anti-matter and they kill the thing because of anti-energy OR SOMETHING and Spock's alive and all is well, Lieutenant Uhura, would you please call Starfleet and report that we're awesome, onward to the next -- hopefully more hottie-filled -- adventure.

Together, these two episodes pretty much demonstrated what Star Trek can do really well more than a season and a half on. It can either be action-packed gun-toting fluff, like "A Piece of the Action," or it can push the boundaries of sci-fi by actually incorporating some science, like "The Immunity Syndrome." Tribbles vs. City on the Edge of Forever, I guess. Can't all be heavy-handed drama, but it's cool when they can blend action and tension together without being cartoonish. They don't do it all the time, but the show works best when they pull it off.

Also, for any Office Space fans who appreciate a two-pronged reference, I found this, which I enjoyed:

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to wrap this terrible fucking week with a Trek-filled Friday night. Here's hoping.

Also, to mb1867, nobody got called "Cossacks!" in these episodes, but it has stayed with me nonetheless and I have referred to several people as Cossacks since, none of whom were actually Cossacks. Trying to work it into my personal vernacular, amid such gem catchphrases as "nonetheless," "fair enough" and the more recent "fuckbunnies."

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
I've been real busy since then trying to decide which of my two jobs is the more frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Another two-fer:

s02e19: "A Private Little War"
Kirk's all like, "I've been on this planet that we're passing by FOR SOME REASON before, so I think I'll pop down and see my space-brah," but LO AND BEHOLD, space-brah has fallen under the spell of a full-on space-temptress, who tries to trap Kirk in her racially-vague estrogen-web by healing him after he's attacked by a gorilla with a unicorn's horn stuck to its head (called a Mugatu, for anyone who saw Zoolander), but Kirk's not having any of it. The Klingons want the planet for SOMETHING but Kirk's like no way, but the Klingons are giving the people guns, so Kirk gives them... other guns... and there's a poignant thing about the death of innocence, and somewhere in there the space-temptress gets killed by another Mugatu, and it's all brilliant and I love this fucking show and I can't believe all the time I wasted in my like not watching Star Trek and episode over. Oh, and Bones was there.

s02e20: "Return to Tomorrow"
This one made very little sense. The Enterprise gets a distress signal from some planet, but it turns out just to be the disembodied, orb-dwelling consciousness of one of that planet's three remaining inhabitants because the others all died in a war half a billion years ago OR SOMETHING and this guy had nothing to do but... exercise his non-physical self? Anyway, he takes over Kirk's body, which he can't do for too long because even Shatner can't withstand it and it starts to kill him -- some great reverb on the voice while he's possessed though -- but they all go up to the ship somehow and no one ever says why if their consciousness was so strong and they could just inhabit other people they didn't, um, leave their underground captivity for 500 million years, and then they start to build androids to live in, but it's all a rouse because the other guy who wants to take over Spock wants to do it forever and the woman who takes over the episode's requisite space-hottie -- who, in a surprising twist, is a member of the crew -- is all on board for that. She's the wife of the guy in Kirk (snicker snicker) and then Kirk dies because Spock killed him, Spock dies because Kirk tricks him, then everyone comes back to life and Kirk gets to stick his tongue in space-hottie's mouth one more time to remember the glory days before the disembodied consciousnesses AFTER 500 MILLION YEARS decide it's not worth trying to live anymore, even though all of humanity is descended from them MAYBE and they have so much to teach blah blah blah flimsy premise, blah blah blah awesome overacting, blah blah blah roll credits.

Next episode they become Nazis. Finally!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 am 
Site Admin

One more episode tonight and I didn't want to let it go a week this time. Waiting on some laundry in the dryer, if you really want to know. Whatever it takes, I guess.

Just for fun, I'm going to do this episode in one sentence:

s02e21: "Patterns of Force"
Unable to reach Starfleet ambassador and historian John Gill, to whom Kirk has SOME VAGUE CONNECTION, the Enterprise shoots over to some planet that has another, smarter, more technologically advanced planet next to it and finds out that, whoops, in the meantime, the dumb planet became Nazis -- Swastikas and all -- and the fuhrer is John Gill but Kirk and Spock don't know that yet, so they beam down and promptly get captured because space-nazis totally hate pointed ears and after being whipped and in jail, they take the secret transponders out of their arms that Kirk had put in there in case they got captured and needed emergency beaming up -- there was SOME FLIMSY PREMISE for being short on time that they needed to take them out -- and use them to make a phaser and melt their way out of their cell, team up with a guy from the smart, not-space-nazi planet and try to find their communicators, which they do, but then SOMEHOW get wrapped up in the space-resistance and use spies to infiltrate the space-nazi party -- literally, it's a party, like a gala ball -- that the space-fuhrer is giving some speech about going to kill everyone and then Kirk's all like, "No way y'all, he's on drugs!" and they beam Bones down for comic relief and to administer a stimulant, and then Kirk goes, "Stop being on drugs!" and it turns out it's the sub-fuhrer who took over and got all violent, Gill wasn't that terrible, just incredibly stupid, so they bring Gill back around, he stops the war, is killed by the sub-fuhrer, then the sub-fuhrer gets killed by the smart-planet guy who initially started helping Kirk and Spock when they were in jail, there's a mostly-incidental space-hottie and the episode ends back on the ship with the war averted, the cultures of these two planets all lovey-dovey, and the lighthearted music kicks in as Kirk says something about war that gives Chekov a chuckle as they pull out of orbit -- I said "pull out."

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:23 am 

^^ Well done. Welshy approves.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:11 am 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:

That's the chick that played doctor Pulaski in TNG for the second season.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:20 am 
Site Admin

Another fantastic episode tonight. Don't get me wrong, space-nazis was great, but kinda gimmicky. This one was everything about Trek that's made the show such a blast to watch.

s02e22: "By Any Other Name"
Because they're not tired yet of people crying wolf, the Enterprise heads to SOME PLANET in a distant system and get taken over by a dude named Rojan and his open-back-shirted space-megahottie, Kelinda. They both have belts that when they press a button paralyzes people or turns them into blocks of salt that they say is everything about them distilled (they can be restored). They're from the Andromeda galaxy and are all like, "We're totally badass and we're going to put you in prison now and we're going to take over your ship and go home to Andromeda because it sucks being trapped in these human forms and don't defy us, because we totally have the Foreigner belts from Aqua Teen Hunger Force and we'll fuck you way up."

When Kirk, Bones, Spock and the two redshirts try to mount an escape by having Spock mindmeld with Kelinda through the other side of a rock wall (which knocks Spock off his feet and causes him to say something like, "Space-brahs, we're way out of our league," Rojan (apparently the dude who played him just died last month) finds them an turns the two redshirts -- one of whom was a bit of a space-hottie herself, though more in that space-hottie-next-door kind of way than that totally-unobtainable-turn-you-into-a-block-of-salt kind of way -- into blocks of salt. Then he says that only when the blocks are crushed do they actually die. He brings back the one dude, but crushes the female crew member's salt block. Actually, it's a cuboctahedron, according to Wikipedia:

Anyway, Kirk gets over it on the quick but is still pretty pissed about the whole Andromedans-taking-over-the-ship thing, and devises a plan to get back aboard, even though they're modifying the Enterprise so it can make it to Andromeda faster. He tells Spock to go into a Vulcan ultra-chill mode OR SOMETHING that's never been mentioned until now, and Spock does, and Bones says he needs to get to sickbay, and they start to modify the ship, but it doesn't work, and then they're deciding what to do and they figure out that since these things are human now they can succumb to human temptations and distractions.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD.

First, Bones starts shooting up another of the Andromedans with some drug to make him all pissy, saying it's a vitamin -- ethically awesome.

Meanwhile, Kirk decides he's gonna teach this open-back-shirted space-megahottie to love, and though at first she doesn't go for his space-game, she comes around.

Spock is given the task of making Rojan insecure and jealous of Kirk, which he does by informing Rojan of the cold hard logic behind the fact that because he can't control a woman (i.e. Kelinda, whom he's told to stay away from Kirk already), he's not a man. FUCKING AWESOME.

But best of all, Scotty's getting plastered with one of the other Andromedans. One of the best scenes of the series, hands down. They get all loaded up and Scotty's going through his whole stash, which he has hidden around his quarters, and then finally he takes out a dusty bottle of whiskey he's got stored in a chestplate armor on his desk (because why not), and talks to it, all slurring, and that finally puts the alien on his ass.

This was an attempt on Scotty's part to get the Foreigner belt away from the Andromedan, but when he finally takes it, he's too drunk to use it and he passes out before he can leave his quarters. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they never go back to him again. Let him sleep it off, I guess.

Kirk and Kelinda are making out though and when Rojan comes in and finds them after Spock yet again questions his masculinity on the bridge, he and Kirk fight. No belts, all hand-to-hand stuff, and only when Kirk puts him in what I immediately came to think of as the "choke-hold of truth" (see above) does Rojan come around to the idea of maybe not conquering the entire Milky Way galaxy, but instead just making a deal with the Federation and finding an uninhabited planet to live on in humanoid form, like the one they left.

The episode ends with them turning the ship around to go back to the Milky Way -- the scene where they left the galaxy and went through an energy barrier was pretty cool -- and though we never actually hear that most of the crew, which has been turned into salt cuboctahedrons, have been restored, Bones smiles, so we can pretty much assume it's coming.

Fucking awesome episode. Seriously. This one had it all. Fucked up gender relations, Kirk teaching a space-hottie to love, meaningless crew deaths, melodrama, ridiculous plot points and two or three killer eyebrow raises from Spock. At this point, I can think of nothing else I could ask from it. "The City on the Edge of Forever" may have been high art, but "By Any Other Name" was everything that made this show great.

I mean, really. I can't wait until all the touch-screen shit in the remake movie looks as silly as this:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:06 am 

Yeah out of the lot of them, Scotty'd be the guy I'd have a drink with.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Crutch wrote:
Yeah out of the lot of them, Scotty'd be the guy I'd have a drink with.

I dunno man, I bet Bones could throw down when it came to it. Uhura's probably got some pretty good stories about being hit on by Kirk all the time too, and you know she'd let loose after a couple stiff drinks.

The real question here is what would they drink?

Bones has to be some kind of beer. Something cheap but better than PBR or Bud. MGD or High Life, maybe. I can see him as a Miller man, but thinking Miller Lite is stupid.

Scott's scotch. He made that pretty clear this last episode.

Something about Kirk screams "kahlua" at me. I don't know what concoction he'd make with it, but it would have to be some recipe he learned on Rigel VII that he could use to impress space-hotties.

Uhura gets whatever she wants, drinks or otherwise. Whatever she's drinking, I'm sure a glass of it costs more than $45. Some classic, expensive as hell space-liqueur, maybe.

Redshirts get well drinks. Poor bastards can't catch a break.

Once he was actually convinced to imbibe, Spock would drink rubbing alcohol, because it gets you drunk fastest and if you're drinking to be intoxicated, the logical move is to get drunk as quickly as possible. His Vulcan physiology would allow him to withstand it, much to everyone's surprise.

Chekov is vodka, duh.

Sulu has a secret whiskey still in his quarters that he never told anyone about. He's been making moonshine for years, much to the chagrin of every stereotype ever.

And just because she's awesome, Nurse Chapel gets a summery cocktail that she sips politely whilst giving Spock the ol' cutey eye.

Best nerd party ever.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 am 

Ah dude that's brilliant.

I think Spock would whip out some curious Vulcan hard stuff though. Some crazy old vintage that the others can't drink or it'll melt their insides.

And yeah your right on Uhura. She'd also get some drunken singing on the go though.

I woulda though Kirk would be the classic beer from the can, every empty one thrown over his shoulder.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Westy wrote:
I woulda though Kirk would be the classic beer from the can, every empty one thrown over his shoulder.

I can see that, but like, later Kirk from the movies. After he's already nailed every space-hottie in the galaxy and is trying to play the everyman with nothing to prove, some poor yeoman half his age picking up all the cans and rolling her eyes. Still a great party.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Found this today:

In other news, the DVD player broke and that has put a serious hurt on the Star Trekking. Clearly, much like the shirts, it too could not contain Shatner's awesomeness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Finished the last two episodes of the second season last night. They were glorious and formulaic. Space-hotties abounded, Spock and Bones are totally in love in some weird triangle with Kirk, and the twist at the end of "The Omega Somethingorother" was that the "sun" was actually the "son," and it was Jeebus himself. Good fun.

Also, "Assignment: Earth" had this guy and his cat:

Which turned out to be a space-hottie in disguise!

Onward to season three.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 7   [ 151 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next