Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Hell on Wheels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:40 pm 

Anyone try this new AMC show out? It's kind of cool that they are following the rail road, a near forgotten icon in my generation. It ain't no deadwood though, that's for sure. For one, the music is driving me up the wall...almost reminds me of Jonah Hex and that aimless Mastodon noodling. Well, Jonah Hex mashed up with bollywood or something (can't quite make out the damn instrument that keeps showing up but it sounds like a citar to me).

Writing/plot/character development doesn't seem quite as solid as it could be, but I am only two episodes in so I'll give them some breathing space considering I think they are doing pretty well with the main character.

Overall, I'd say B-. Again, only 2 episodes in (have 1 more to catch up on) so it could get better, but it does need too.

Post subject: Re: Hell on Wheels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:03 pm 

Boring. As. Fuck.

I saw the first two episodes and the third up to the TWD clip, and all I remember from any of them is Colm Meaney smashing some dude's face into a table because he was pissed that his railroad was being built in a straight line.

Friends don't seem to be too impressed with it, either. I guess there's some bullshit Civil War revisionist history going on and a lot of other dumb shit, but I get ADHD watching it and go off to do something else after about 2 minutes.

Too bad, too. It's not like there's a whole lot out there right now as far as westerns go. I had every intention of watching it if it was at least mildly entertaining, but it's not. And given some of the cast it really should be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:19 pm 

Made it 25 mins. into the pilot and flipped it. Not my thing. very boring indeed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:42 pm 

Premise and teasers attracted me, but it's incredibly boring. One dude's steely glare with stunning cinematography ain't gonna cut it...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 am 

Bah, kids today, no patience. I like it. I like the pace. It fits with the setting. Life doesn't always move at MTV jump cut pace. Stories shouldn't, either.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:15 am 

I think it's pretty rad for network TV. I just got caught up to episode #6 tonight. Not slow at all. The only really annoyances for me is some stock PC-cliche bullshit that makes it feel like a network TV show done 150 years after the actual era. Like the tattooed hooker with a heart of gold, the newly freed negro who continually rebels against the white establishment, that would have been hung four episodes ago, the spoon-fed black/white negotiations between the whites and indians, the miraculous healing of the lily-white gal after the indian attack and the relatively tame (for the era) bareknuckle fight between Cullen and Elam.

Overall I think that it's got a lot more credits going for it, like the characters, acting, the sets and overall cinematograpy. The story is really solid, outside of the plot-holes/contrivances I listed above. I like that The Swede has some sort of interest in Cullen's revenge target and sold out Durant to the Senator for recon on the guy. I'd actually put the story on the same level as Deadwood's first season, which had a LOT more useless characters and general boredom. But Deadwood was more gritty (more $$$, cursing and nudity) overall. Hell on Wheels certainly doesn't slouch on the gore though. Both first seasons (Deadwood/HoW) get a "B" grade from me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:26 am 

Episode 7 kicked fucking ass!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:45 pm 

I want to bang that prostitute with the tattoos on her face.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 am 

I liked the season finale. I think the secondary characters (mostly the Preacher and The Swede) are more interesting than the main ones. It's tough to come up with non-cliched characters in this genre though.

Toward the end, you had to suspend disbelief a bit (especially the PC revisionism of having a lippy negro who fucks an attractive white woman in the lawless west before the ink on the Emancipation Proclamation has dried), but the set pieces and general scenery of this series wins out. Tom Noonan/the Preacher really won me over in the last couple of eps; he probably raised the season as a whole from a C+ to a solid B grade for me. When is this guy NOT great?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]