Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: American Horror Story
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 pm 

Who's in?

I like it. Was thinking it would suffer from style over substance from the ads..but it's not weighed down by bullshit. Very creepy

Post subject: Re: American Horror Story
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:34 am 

I saw Tim Minear's name attached to it and got very excited, then I saw "the co-creators of Glee" and then my interest waned a bit. Glad I didn't skip it, though. I'll stick with it for now. I got a pretty strong The Shining vibe from it, and in a good way. I like the style, and there's potential for a lot of interesting storylines (premiere did seem to have a lot going on here) if they're all managed well. My impression is that it's going to be a cult hit, but I don't know if the cult will be big enough for it to carry on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:32 am 

Good call on on the Shining..too many creepy house stories fall flat, this one had thatatmosphere that a lot of the movies miss completely. Nothing feels like a set. The history that they have revealed of the house, so far, is great. The wife is so familiar, so looked her up and hadnt seen anything that she'd done, so not sure why I know the face. She's definitely sexy.

The upcoming episode trailer looks even better. Hopes are high for this one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 am 

I watched it for the maid and it paid off. only saw 40 minutes but will try to find it playing again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:44 am 

Gonna re-watch it simply because I fell in and out of sleep during the second half.

The maid thing is awesome, the couple are so non-communicative they don't even realize that she appears differently to each of them, wife gets a non threatening older woman with a dead eye, husband gets a goddamn cliche sexy maid. So weird.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 am 

Im gonna look for reairing to record before next weeks episode. I guess not a lot watched it? So far so good..seems well written enough, no excess bullshit..they could have a winner on their hands and should be giving Walking Dead a run for it's money, but thinking the marketing/promoting for WD was all that much more to suck everyone in. This may sadly stay on the back burner. Hard to judge a series on one episode, but if the wheels stay on, it's one of the best things on the tele right now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:56 am 

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/america ... lid-start/

Ratings were solid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:41 pm 

The commercials for this kept coming up during football when I was at the bar last week...but not on the tv that had the sound on. So I was merely left with the idea that Dylan McDermott was staggering around in the Black Lodge from "Twin Peaks" wearing a gimp suit. Sounds interesting, but I'm sure it will be canceled in no time flat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:07 pm 

Jam8 wrote:
Gonna re-watch it simply because I fell in and out of sleep during the second half.

The maid thing is awesome, the couple are so non-communicative they don't even realize that she appears differently to each of them, wife gets a non threatening older woman with a dead eye, husband gets a goddamn cliche sexy maid. So weird.

The daughter also sees the older woman.

I kinda half watched the first episode, and it seemed like there were some nifty ideas, but the execution was weak. There seemed to be more importance in letting McDermott's patient say "cock-sucker" repeatedly, and crappy MTV style cuts than trying to build an atmosphere that's truly horrifying. Not surprising as horror these days seemingly relies more on blunt shocks than mood, and this show is headed right down that unfortunate path.
I will give the show a few episodes to see if it catches stride, but I'm not very optimistic about that prospect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:51 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Jam8 wrote:

The daughter also sees the older woman.

I kinda half watched the first episode, and it seemed like there were some nifty ideas, but the execution was weak. There seemed to be more importance in letting McDermott's patient say "cock-sucker" repeatedly, and crappy MTV style cuts than trying to build an atmosphere that's truly horrifying. Not surprising as horror these days seemingly relies more on blunt shocks than mood, and this show is headed right down that unfortunate path.
I will give the show a few episodes to see if it catches stride, but I'm not very optimistic about that prospect.

See.. I watched it and came away pretty satisfied by the way it was all thrown together. The house had the creepy factor installed right away..the creepy characters right out of the gate and kept coming. The story was a bit much to absorb for an hour slot, but should single out the lines in the upcoming episodes. I'm hoping the rest of the season flows like the first.

Not perfect, but not a lot on television is. Effective and kind of schizo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:54 am 

Dug the second part last night. Getting weirder as the episodes roll thats for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:13 pm 

Yeah, I'm enjoying it as well. Though I can't help thinking that it still could become a horrible trainwreck of a show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:22 am 

Even with some of the second episode's revelations, it still seems to be trying too hard for my tastes.
It gets one more episode, then I give up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:43 am 

Quote:
Though I can't help thinking that it still could become a horrible trainwreck of a show

Yep, but well worth the risk just to see the maid washing the floor in episode 3!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:47 am 

So the psycho/supernatural evil/devil kid that pals around with the daughter...I'm betting he's the grown up version of Frankenstein drug addict and ghost bitch's kid. So he's dead, or undead, or a ghost, or actually the devil.

I forget, was the mother pregnant when they moved in, or was she knocked up by leather bodysuit guy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:13 am 

She got pregnant while living at the house.
The connotation is that it was the rubberfreak that got her pregnant. But obviously the husband thinks he did it, so they had to have had sex while at the house.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:22 pm 

The dialogue in this show is god awful, but some very good acting. I really like the show but can't really pin down why.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:24 am 

Good show, that sadly ended with a thud last night. Bummer, because was enjoying the ride. What a dud of a finale and set-up for another season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:25 pm 

I think the ending would have worked better if the series were contained to a single season. I'm not that disappointed with it as is, though. They left a couple plot lines open and established some new ones to work with on the next season, but they did so without leaving any "you're ending on that?!" style cliffhangers. Which I can appreciate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:43 pm 

It should have ended at the 11th episode. That last one just went and ruined the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:30 pm 

Actually, this story is over, the next season will be an entirely different story. It's going to be an anthology series, if any of the actors come back they'll be in new roles.

Story@DeadlineHollywood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:29 am 

Yeah, thank god for that. they still should have ended this season with the 11th episode. that scene around the Xmas tree almost made me regret watching the entire season.

almost..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:39 am 

Im glad series 1 ended there and they didnt carry it on, it was awesome overall but started to get old over the last few episodes...

so whos watching Asylum? Its bloody brilliant! Im 5 episodes in, its my favourite thing right now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:48 pm 

I forgot to watch the premiere and never caught a repeat, so I'm avoiding it until the season winds up on Netflix Instant. Internet buzz seems to be a lot stronger for Asylum than last season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 pm 

it's horrible..made it to ep 3 and stopped dvring it

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next