Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: The Guard
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:59 pm 

This will be in my top three movies of the year for sure, regardless of what comes out between now and December.

From the abrupt opening to the soft close, the cast and crew of this film execute everything to perfection. Brendan Gleeson's acting is brilliant, the cinematography is used to great effect without being overly distracting, comedic elements are subtle (so much so that I caught a couple things I missed when I watched it a second time), and a poetic melancholy provides an undercurrent that really brings out the "Irishness" of the whole thing. The plot is simple, letting the characters and the scenery carry the film. It involves drug smuggling, a fish-out-of-water FBI agent, a trio of over-educated bad guys and a host of quirky Galway residents. But Gleeson's Garda sergeant character is the gem, and I have no interest in spoiling the pleasure of watching this film by giving out any more details.

If you need explosions and gunfights this may not be your cup of tea (though it has a bit of both)...but if you appreciate those long drawn out scenes ala Sergio Leone, the quirky dialogue of the early Tarantino films, and if you appreciated Gleeson's acting in In Bruges, then I feel safe in recommending this film unconditionally.

One word of warning...during the first time I watched this, one person told her friend that she couldn't understand a word and left the theater. If you have a hard time understanding an Irish accent, you might want to wait for the subtitled DVD, but it will be a pity because this film is beautiful to look at on a big screen.

Post subject: Re: The Guard
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:32 am 

Not much to add. Yes, one of the best movies of the year for sure. Gleeson towers over the movie but the whole cast is great (when Mark Strong hands over the bribe money, hilarious).
And good call on the sub-titles. I have no problems watching movies in English but this is extra-challenging of course.

Edit: At first I thought, McDonagh, that's the "In Bruges"-director. Turns out its his brother.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:54 am 

jmucke wrote:
Not much to add. Yes, one of the best movies of the year for sure. Gleeson towers over the movie but the whole cast is great (when Mark Strong hands over the bribe money, hilarious).

Yeah that scene has shades of the Guy Ritchie films but without the over-the-top acting and ADD editing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:58 pm 

Gotta see this... Gleeson is always great fun to watch. He was hilarious in In Bruges, but I was most surprised by how awesome Ralph Fiennes was as the gangster boss.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]