Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
 Post subject: Such Hawks, Such Hounds
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:58 am 

Finally saw this last night. I'm not quite sure if this was a good flick or an almost good flick. It covered the basic gist of the fuzz n doom scene, and I like how everything was handled, but it was sort of cursory at best. If you're going to cover the "underground," cover the fucking underground, y'know? There should've been more than just interviews with a couple of legends, a handful of happenin' bands, and a reference to Man's Ruin.

Of course, maybe I'm more than a little butthurt that there was a section that dealt with the term/genre "stoner rock" and nobody from the site was interviewed. Maybe not during my tenure, but the site was influential enough to warrant more than a screenshot of the logo.

/Sad, self-pitying harumph.

Post subject: Re: Such Hawks, Such Hounds
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 am 

There were parts I really liked, that made me groan, and had me scratching my head. The pacing seemed a bit odd in some places. The beginning spent a lot of time on Pentagram and blaming Bobby at their audition or whatever it was. It seemed to spend a lot of time on Sleep's Jerusalem as well. The live footage was cool, but the performances seemed to be randomly placed without any real reason for them being where they were.

Music documentaries are odd beasts because everyone watching them will complain about too much of this and not enough of that, and those making them rely on their own judgments on what deserves focus. It seems to me that the more limited the subject matter the better. I generally prefer stuff like We Jam Econo or the Classic Albums series over stuff like VH1's History of Rock because the subject matter is one specific thing.

I can't complain too much about the film. It's nice just to have something on the genre(s)/scene. It's certainly not a perfect film, but for fans of the kind of music it covers it's well worth seeing at least once. I bought it at release from ATH and don't regret the purchase at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:36 pm 

Bullio wrote:
I can't complain too much about the film. It's nice just to have something on the genre(s)/scene. It's certainly not a perfect film, but for fans of the kind of music it covers it's well worth seeing at least once.

Yeah, pretty much. Whatever complaints I have - legitimate or not - are countered by the mere fact that this documentary exists.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:24 pm 

Definitely worth your time if you're into the music. It was cool to hear about the Sleep story. Especially from Billy Andersons perspective. Also, Wino.

As far as music docs are concerned, I prefer perspective pieces over band-on-the-run type movies. This one is a bit of yawn as far as other music docs, but if you frequent this site, you should probably give it a shot and it will give you what you want.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 am 
Site Admin

I've still never watched it, not really out of any particular disagreement with the idea of the thing (I find the subject matter fascinating enough), I just never got around to it. One of these days maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:17 pm 

This and Slow Southern Steel are must watches for me...does anybody know if/when Slow Southern Steel is going to be publicly released?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:32 pm 

I like it. Both the Pentagram & Sleep stories I find very interesting and Wino with his peppers is amazing to see. Scott Reeder telling about how Black Flag played in "the desert" in '81 is cool as well. The current-day bands who are prominently featured are chosen well, although I enjoyed the Earthless/Om/High on Fire bits the most. The inclusion of SunnO))) didn't really add that much, listening to/seeing Sunn via camera isn't interesting imo (lesser sound quality than a putting on a live record and not as captivating as a live show).

Can't wait till Slow Southern Steel becomes public. It premiered some weeks ago I think and should be out on DVD in the fall/winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 pm 

Just saw it recently myself..yeah, seemed to come off as more of place for the 'directors favorite bands' rather than the more influential/important at times. Dead Meadow to me is one of the more unimportant (and boring/unoriginal I might add) bands focused. Sunn, I dig, but just focusing on SL/Greg would have been sufficient. I think showing the live performance of Sunn was really out of place, as like said above, has to be seem/felt to be appreciated.

I liked it, didnt love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:45 am 

I bought this last year at Princeton Record Exchange for $2 and never got around to watching it. Maybe I will this wekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:33 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:
seemed to come off as more of place for the 'directors favorite bands' rather than the more influential/important at times.

That's the impression I got. It was worth watching once, but i'll never watch it again.
I'm hoping Slow Southern Steel is more to my liking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:48 am 

I don't know why they cut this as it's the highlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZw9VqwW4s

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:08 pm 

For the release of this film, I donated some cash to the cause, and I own a copy. I thought it was real cool, if only because it's kind of a "crash course" that could get people interested and excited about the "scene". I thought the interviews were good and I was certainly aware that they couldn't include everybody. I don't really like Fatso Jetson, but I sure wasn't going to fault them for the inclusion. And it had to get through thirty or so years of this shit in a couple hours. No easy task.

I don't know. I remember when this was coming out, everybody seemed really stoked, and now to see it forgotten at best and derided at worst seems pretty depressing. But what can I expect from underground music, the fans, and myself, really?

Maybe it is too much of a "primer" for old hands like most of you, and, by this point, me. But I think it stands proudly in my fairly slim collection of music related dvds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 am 

It was cool to see Wino dicking around in his garden.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:37 pm 

"Sometimes a riff is so heavy, you want to hear it for like, twenty minutes."

/bad paraphrase of my favorite line

Definitely looking forward to Slow Southern Steel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:25 pm 

I watched it after it was linked on the blog and it was fairly enjoyable. Like some people said, it focused on some bands like the Dead Meadows and Comets On Fire that surprised me. I thought it was weird how they'd split up the general timeline story with snippets on individual bands, but it was interesting nevertheless. Definitely worth the watch.

Slow Southern Steel looks like it's going to kick some ass, though. They've posted two clips so far and they both got me excited. And the whole thing appears to be narrated by Dixie Dave, so I figure it'll have to be good, right? :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 pm 

The entire SHSH is on the Toobs of Yew now, I rewatched most of it the other night. I've also seen SSS and they're very similar in style, and share similar faults and strengths. As pointed out, there'll always be "hey, too much of_____!" and "Where's______???" in response to music docs., but the time constraints will always be a challenge with these things...
SSS is gonna run at various film festivals through the end of the year, with wider distribution afterwards. I'd be stunned if it's not bootlegged by then..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:45 am 

I loved it.

For the scope of music they covered, it could have been a mini series. I loved it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 pm 

reefer wrote:
And the whole thing appears to be narrated by Dixie Dave

That is fuckin awesome. Now i really can't wait for SSS.

Such Hawks is pretty good viewing, say, if its raining or cold as fuck out, and you and your buddies are just sitting around getting loaded.
I've watched it maybe 1.5 times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:24 am 

It's not bad, but if you've ever heard someone who really studies jazz talk about the Ken Burns' Jazz doc, it's kind of the same thing. There's no way they could ever really tell the whole story as a movie, so you have to kind of tell little stories to make up part of the whole.

Arz, would've been cool though if they interviewed you or Dan about SR, I agree. That site was such a huge part of bringing the scene together.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:18 pm 

Really good stuff, especially for people focused more on making / listening music than exploring its backgrounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 pm 

They have the whole thing up on Youtube:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:14 pm 

Harry Manback wrote:
It was cool to see Wino dicking around in his garden.

That's the only part that stood out to me and some of the pentagram stuff, I don't remember much else about it. It's been quite some time since I saw it though.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]