Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Fringe
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:58 am 

Anyone watch this show? It is the only one I watched this entire season, the one television show I still enjoy, and this season had some ups and downs, but ended strongly.

The second to last episode, the beginning was shot right near my house. Literally. In the beginning, when the block lettering comes in with the locations, it read, "Holyoke MA." A car was driving on a highway that leads into the city I live in, less than a mile from my house. It was right near the Marina I rode my bike by yesterday.

I also thought it was cool that Peter's favourite coin when he was a child was a silver half dollar - that's mine as well! Strangely, I knew how the series was going to end before I watched it, as it reminded me a bit of the book I am currently reading, The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuin.

All in all, I liked the first and second seasons a little better, but the last three episodes were satisfying. I enjoyed this series more than Lost, it was less convoluted, more streamlined, had better acting and writing, and had a stronger and more emotionally resonating conclusion.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

Post subject: Re: Fringe
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:54 am 

Dinger wrote:
Anyone watch this show? It is the only one I watched this entire season, the one television show I still enjoy, and this season had some ups and downs, but ended strongly.

The second to last episode, the beginning was shot right near my house. Literally. In the beginning, when the block lettering comes in with the locations, it read, "Holyoke MA." A car was driving on a highway that leads into the city I live in, less than a mile from my house. It was right near the Marina I rode my bike by yesterday.

I also thought it was cool that Peter's favourite coin when he was a child was a silver half dollar - that's mine as well! Strangely, I knew how the series was going to end before I watched it, as it reminded me a bit of the book I am currently reading, The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuin.

All in all, I liked the first and second seasons a little better, but the last three episodes were satisfying. I enjoyed this series more than Lost, it was less convoluted, more streamlined, had better acting and writing, and had a stronger and more emotionally resonating conclusion.

My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. It was refreshing and adventurous. It was nice to see a show pandering in sci-fi on a major network with new and unique ideas.

Second season saw our interest decrease slightly as the show started to focus on the main plot more than what "fringe division" actually did. I was originally attracted to fringe because every other episode or so they introduced a new idea (the rapidly growing man, Asian bug smugglers etc) which they may or may not follow up on. When the main plot started to take over more and more story time I started to miss those crazy random events.

Third season I fell off the wagon during the first third of the season. A little too much "other side" focus and not enough "x-files" (the sort of episodes I was alluding to previously) for me to stay interested. My girlfriend ultimately gave up on the show as well but that had more to do with my absence and falling behind than anything else. She did say the season picked up and revived some earlier plot points/carried on with the "fringe way of things" about half way through the third season.

As it stands I'm waiting for the third season to pop up on netflix so I can give it another go.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:15 am 

That's a very fair assessment.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:52 am 

I like it. I liked the third season, but would probably enjoy the series much the same without the over arc, since that's the kind of I dig (parallel worlds, what ifs?) so it's not as bothersome as it could be, X-Files lost me with it's conspiracy over-arc.

I think I would've watched X-Files past the 4th season or so if it had been just the Monster of The Week Cover Up Of Monster Of The Week type things. Alien abductions and related conspiracies and all that, blah.

Hopefully they'll get back to that on Fringe. Monsters, weird shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:00 pm 

They stumbled a mess of times this past season, and I wasn't too sold on the season finale, but it's still solid enough that I'll keep watching it.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm 

Just finished up Battlestar Galactica. I have the first two episodes of Fringe downloaded, and am going to dive in this evening.

edit: yeesh Abrams is heavy handed. The premise seems decent, but its so.... Abrams.
I'm gonna progress on to episode 2, but after my quick burn out on Lost (4 episodes), I don't see a great chance that I'll stick with this for too long.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:59 am 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Just finished up Battlestar Galactica. I have the first two episodes of Fringe downloaded, and am going to dive in this evening.

edit: yeesh Abrams is heavy handed. The premise seems decent, but its so.... Abrams.
I'm gonna progress on to episode 2, but after my quick burn out on Lost (4 episodes), I don't see a great chance that I'll stick with this for too long.

I'd give it a few more go's at least. I see what you are saying, but once the actors get an idea of their characters it smooths out pretty good. Then you run into the aforementioned issue (overarching plot domination).

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:28 pm 

I watched the first 6 episodes.

So much potential in these episodes, just to be dragged down by quirky scientist old man having an "aha" moment. It's House M.D. + bones in a X-files script.

Think i'll start watching breaking bad.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm 

The dude who plays the father is an amazing actor. I liked him a lot in Lord Of The Rings also.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]