Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Happy Endings
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 pm 

Usually, i'm pretty leery of new shows--if they're bad, they're a dime a dozen, and if they're good, sometimes you get attached to 'em before they get canned. That being said, Happy Endings is really good--the last really funny comedy to come along, for me, was Modern Family, and this is about on par. The cast is perfect--sometimes you get shows with promise and good writing that are held back with improper casting, but the cast knows how to make the writing better with killer execution and good comedic timing. Damon Wayans Jr. is on there (being someone with an affinity towards In Living Color and related projects) and Damon Wayans Sr. guested in one of the shows already. Last night's show's hipster deriding was hilarious, "....you know what that guy is, right? He's a hipster. He likes everything you do, but ironically". It's either the next major comedic juggernaut, or it's destined to have it's diehard followers before (if?) it gets canned. If they can keep up the quality of the writing that's been seen so far and find enough of an audience, it's sure to be a future classic.

Post subject: Re: Happy Endings
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:10 pm 

I like it, good writing.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 am 

I like it too.

That Elisha chick is really hot too.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 am 

I like Casey Wilson and the gay guy. They bring the funny. In fact, you make the show about those two and Elisha Cuthbert looking hot and I'm all in calling that show the Greatest Sitcom Of This Here Decade.

But as is, Damon Wayan's Jr isn't as funny as his dad, Jo from Scrubs was better as Jo on Scrubs, and that other guy is frickin' wallpaper.

I'm not saying it sucks, but it's half great, half "Why?"

Still, I'll watch it, but I'm trying to figure out if/how they'll ditch those other three to focus on the three I like watching.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm 

Jam8 wrote:
I like Casey Wilson and the gay guy. They bring the funny. In fact, you make the show about those two and Elisha Cuthbert looking hot and I'm all in calling that show the Greatest Sitcom Of This Here Decade.

But as is, Damon Wayan's Jr isn't as funny as his dad, Jo from Scrubs was better as Jo on Scrubs, and that other guy is frickin' wallpaper.

I'm not saying it sucks, but it's half great, half "Why?"

Still, I'll watch it, but I'm trying to figure out if/how they'll ditch those other three to focus on the three I like watching.

It's possible that they may have too many lead characters. It may be a better idea to chisel the cast down to four people. I'm not certain that anyone in particular is the lead--so you may get different shows focusing on different characters. That's my early take.....that right now, they're trying to give all characters close to somewhat equal time, and then let the audiences figure out who they want to watch and then write future episodes around that. I totally agree with some of the characters' annoyances.....that's my least favorite part of new series, where they try really hard to make it obvious to the audience about those characters' personalities and habits and whatnot. When I look back on all my favorite shows, I can't stand the earliest shows of any of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:39 pm 

While I agree that "that other guy" doesn't provide much directly, he seems, at least to me to serve the Jerry Seinfield role where his character is the piece that that ties everything/everyone together. I think he does a good enough job with that.

That Scrubs chick is a the weak link to the show for me.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]