Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Thor
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:32 pm 

...yet another comic book hero movie I won't be seeing.

Post subject: Re: Thor
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:28 am 

I saw it last night. Never read the comic but that makes it usually easier to watch these adaptions. It was fun in a dumb way with a so/so-lead and and a good supporting cast on autopilot. 3D was hardly noticable except for the end sequence. Drags in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:39 am 

Yeah, it was alright but nothing really spectacular. But that was to be expected.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 am 

I liked 'epic' movies back in the 80's, these days for some reason (maybe coz i'm a miserable old git now) they are generally terrible, yawnsome CGI fests with an total lack of acting or memorable characters. Is that the case with this one?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:46 am 

Yes but its still entertaining when you are stoned.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 am 

I saw it with the fam. I'm no longer into comic books, but this movie was okay. On par with the good Marvel films. My favorite part was that the extremely hot chick from Nick & Norah's Infinite playlist was in it. Kat something. She was just on Conan last night. Man I what I wouldn't give to suck on her big toe.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 pm 

It's a solid movie for what it is. As long as you're not expecting something more then what the source material is, you won't be disappointed.

Superhero comic books were/are rarely deep or have any meaningful story to them.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:07 pm 

I liked it a lot actually. Not as good as some comic movies, better than others. "Twilight of the Thunder God" not being in the movie is one of the biggest missed opportunities of the movie.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:54 pm 

I liked it. It didn't suck. I read a lot of Thor comics when I was a kid. This movie didn't take itself too seriously. Which is good and odd considering the comic was pretty serious from what I remember...as far as serious comics from the 60's and 70's go.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:41 am 

The Lodger wrote:
I liked it a lot actually. Not as good as some comic movies, better than others. "Twilight of the Thunder God" not being in the movie is one of the biggest missed opportunities of the movie.

Almost exactly what I thought and I am hugely disappointed no Amon Amarth made it. Twilight of the Thunder God is one of my favorite songs.

I thought they kept the jokes pretty lighthearted and funny. Comic books by definition are somewhat ridiculous and I'm glad they took it seriously but not too serious.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:01 am 

The "it-is-just-okay" reviews don't make me want to watch it. How did you all feel about the first Iron Man movie though? That was the bomb. Maybe I shouldn't pre-judge on a non-comic book fan website?

As a Marvel kid in their golden age, I found pretty great/memorable moments in the first two Spiderman and X-Men movies. And so, even within that Daredevil movie that everyone hated. I might be a softie though, due the age I grew up in.

My favorite comic book from an emotional tie-in was definitely the X-Men reprints from the 60's that Marvel did in the late 70's/early 80's. My folks were going through a serious divorce and having a comic based on outcast kids excelling outside of all the bias/discrimination was a strong emotional lure. Spiderman was the same deal, but around that time, Spiderman stories sucked/were played out, while the X-Men had some serious momentum happening behind them. To think Chris Claremont probably passed away living on some meager retirement plan in Mannetoba or some shit while shitheads in Hollywood reap on his creativity. Life sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:28 am 

I dug the first Iron Man flick and thought this was just okay. An amusing diversion for a drunken Friday night. Not worth ripping to the hard drive or owning.

X-Men First Class was much better, but I suppose it bears mentioning that I never really took to the character Thor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:10 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
The "it-is-just-okay" reviews don't make me want to watch it. How did you all feel about the first Iron Man movie though? That was the bomb. Maybe I shouldn't pre-judge on a non-comic book fan website?

As a Marvel kid in their golden age, I found pretty great/memorable moments in the first two Spiderman and X-Men movies. And so, even within that Daredevil movie that everyone hated. I might be a softie though, due the age I grew up in.

My favorite comic book from an emotional tie-in was definitely the X-Men reprints from the 60's that Marvel did in the late 70's/early 80's. My folks were going through a serious divorce and having a comic based on outcast kids excelling outside of all the bias/discrimination was a strong emotional lure. Spiderman was the same deal, but around that time, Spiderman stories sucked/were played out, while the X-Men had some serious momentum happening behind them. To think Chris Claremont probably passed away living on some meager retirement plan in Mannetoba or some shit while shitheads in Hollywood reap on his creativity. Life sucks.

Chris Claremont is still very much alive. I don't know what he's been up to this year, but he was back to writing somewhat regularly for Marvel with X-Men Forever and GeNEXT during 09-10.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]