Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 19 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song of Ice and Fire HBO series
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Admin

New trailer. Yes:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 pm 

foolish to base hopes on a brief trailer, but watching that made me feel that season 3 will be a lot better than season 2.

I know that the latter third of the 2nd book and the the third book in its entirety were my favorite sections of the the story to read so far, so as long as they don't fuck up the story too much, I'm pretty stoked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:07 pm 

The second season would've been better served had they only focused on half the novel. It was good television but every episode was machine gun exposition in a series of vignettes that were more or less related to one another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:55 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
The second season would've been better served had they only focused on half the novel. It was good television but every episode was machine gun exposition in a series of vignettes that were more or less related to one another.

Agreed...felt like watching highlight reels more than a flowing narrative....and that is why I have higher hopes for s3, as I believe I heard they were splitting it up over two seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
It was good television but every episode was machine gun exposition in a series of vignettes that were more or less related to one another.

Sound analysis.

The show's strength is in it's cast, but even great performances can be dragged down by rushed, brooding exposition. I think season three is going to be a little better paced and season four will likely be even more so. After that, I have no idea what they fuck they're going to do.

I'm excited. It's starting to get the good part of A Song of Ice and Fire.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 am 

Sooooo...what did we all think?

Post subject: Song of Ice and Fire HBO series
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am 

Dayyyyuuuum!

Dug it. Can't wait to see how it's going to play out.

And as a CG guy, and someone who picks apart every little special effect, matte painting, and 3D model in every movie ever, I'm very impressed with the art direction and the cinematography. The giant walking through that winter camp and driving the wooden post into the ground was one if the coolest scenes thus far. The dragons are still a little hokey, but I'm writing them off as awkward teenagers at this point. The physics in their flight and their mannerisms are pretty damn good. Just need a little more time to develop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm 

Ryno wrote:
The giant walking through that winter camp and driving the wooden post into the ground was one if the coolest scenes thus far.

Absolutely agree! It looked really fucking good.

Big fan of the casting for Tormund and Mance too.

I understand ditching the whole Artisan Whitebeard thing. It would be really strange when Dany asks Jorah if he knows him and for him to lie. Plus, they've got enough on their hands with Astapor, why waste time setting up an intrigue that the audience should already know....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Crutch wrote:

I understand ditching the whole Artisan Whitebeard thing. It would be really strange when Dany asks Jorah if he knows him and for him to lie. Plus, they've got enough on their hands with Astapor, why waste time setting up an intrigue that the audience should already know....

I agree on both of these. The Arstan Whitebeard plot is better left to the book where it can kind of, almost, maybe be a mystery for a little while. On the show, it just wouldn't work because the audience would recognize him. I would've liked to see a bit of Strong Belwas though, if they could've worked him in somewhere.

Overall, the episode seemed pretty well in line with the end of last season. I wasn't sure on where the Night's Watch were in that plotline though, with Mormont asking Sam Tarly if he'd sent the ravens? I thought that came later, after their camp was attacked. Am I wrong in that?

Interested to see how they handle bringing in the Jaime Lannister and Arya Stark plotlines, but if the teaser for this week is any indicator, I guess we'll get some of that next episode.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:18 am 

I could watch Charles Dance play Tywin for the rest of my life.

Also if all we see Bronn do is tense standoffs with the Kingsguard I will be satisfied.

The dialogue with Jon and Mance took away a lot of my concerns for not making it more clear that the Halfhand ordered Jon SNow to infiltrate the Wildings and do whatever is necessary. Now it seems Jon actually wants to join the Wildings.

I like how they are pressing the fast forward button on a lot of Daenerys' story. Goodness knows it needs it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 pm 

I think we'll see Strong Belwas eventually. They could just be putting off introducing him for later seasons (like they're doing with the Reeds).

That bit with the Nights Watch confused me too. My bet is they're going to be attacked again, and that's when we'll see Sam's big moment.

I am super excited for the Jaime Lannister plot line this season.

Also, notice how quickly puberty came for Bran Stark....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:43 am 

Crutch wrote:
I am super excited for the Jaime Lannister plot line this season.

And the Hound.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 am 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
Crutch wrote:

I agree on both of these. The Arstan Whitebeard plot is better left to the book where it can kind of, almost, maybe be a mystery for a little while. On the show, it just wouldn't work because the audience would recognize him. I would've liked to see a bit of Strong Belwas though, if they could've worked him in somewhere.

Overall, the episode seemed pretty well in line with the end of last season. I wasn't sure on where the Night's Watch were in that plotline though, with Mormont asking Sam Tarly if he'd sent the ravens? I thought that came later, after their camp was attacked. Am I wrong in that?

Interested to see how they handle bringing in the Jaime Lannister and Arya Stark plotlines, but if the teaser for this week is any indicator, I guess we'll get some of that next episode.

The camp gets attacked right off the bat in the book. They never really had a camp in the show. They've deviated a lot from the book though, and the pacing was strange. They introduced a lot of key elements of the third book right away, in that first episode.

The Harrenhal scene with Robb and the Northmen was strange too...

The dragon, manticore, and giant were all awesome. The show is good, I just like books better than television.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 am 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
The Harrenhal scene with Robb and the Northmen was strange too...

I was happy that we got to see the murder machine that is Ser Gregor. Well, at least the aftermath.

Would've been nice to actually see some of his more charming moments with Arya last season, but then again, I wouldn't have sacrificed those scenes with Arya and Tywin to make room for them. Which really contrasted well with his scene with Tyrion this last episode.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm 

Well, that Brienne vs. Jaime bout was awesome...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 pm 

HATED that it's the Three Eyed Raven and not Three Eyed Crow. Call me a purist, but I'm right. Useless change.

HATED the scene with Shai and Tyrion. Waste of a Tyrion scene when we could've spent that time watching more Brienne and Jaime.

Didn't like the Caitlyn scene with Robb's wife. Not the scene itself, but Cat paying over a sick Jon Snow? Bullshit.

Other than that, love EVERY second of the episode. I love the Theon arc, loved the Reeds, loved Margery's Grandma.

Anyone else feel that if we don't have a scene with Tywin and Lady Olenna that it will be a severe waste of talent?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:23 pm 

Anyone want to venture a guess as to where the fuck Melissandre is going? She stays by Stannis in the books.

I have feeling she's going after Gendry...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:51 am 

Crutch wrote:
Anyone want to venture a guess as to where the fuck Melissandre is going? She stays by Stannis in the books.

that's what one of the s3 episode descriptions says...weird, but I am sure there is a reason.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:13 pm 

JxDx wrote:
Crutch wrote:

that's what one of the s3 episode descriptions says...weird, but I am sure there is a reason.

Well, they never introduced the Edric Storm character or subplots in the show, so Gendry would be the only bastard of royal blood remaining. In the book, they already have Edric Storm at this point in the story, so to follow some of those story arcs, she'd technically need Gendry.

That's speculation, we'll see how it plays out.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:18 pm 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
JxDx wrote:
Crutch wrote:

Well, they never introduced the Edric Storm character or subplots in the show, so Gendry would be the only bastard of royal blood remaining. In the book, they already have Edric Storm at this point in the story, so to follow some of those story arcs, she'd technically need Gendry.

That's speculation, we'll see how it plays out.

Stands to reason to me as well. In the interest of condensation I would understand the choice. I think audiences have enough trouble keeping up with characters. Adding another Baratheon bastard after we've spent this much time with Gendry would only muddy those waters, so to speak.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:40 pm 

This week was one of the strongest episodes this season. I'm glad that we're seeing Theon's journey. Makes me think we're going to catch a glimpse of Balon Greyjoy a little later on...walking on a bridge. But maybe they'll hold that off until the end (which would also make sense).

I'm glad we're actually spotlighting Varys too. I was worried that the past two seasons treated him more like a caricature for exposition and intrigue. At least with this episode, we get a hint that Varys has motives all on his own.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 pm 

The scene with Varys and Olenna was great. As was the final scene with Daenerys...definitely my favorite episode of this season so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Admin

JxDx wrote:
The scene with Varys and Olenna was great. As was the final scene with Daenerys...definitely my favorite episode of this season so far.

Agreed. They did the final scene as good as it was ever going to be done to live up to that moment in the book, which I think was probably the highlight of the series for me so far, just an awesome turn and really well played. I like the Olenna character and the Varys stuff this episode was pretty great. It seems like the season so far was building to this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 am 

^ Agreed on all points...one of my favorite single episodes thus far...I also liked how the shit hit the fan at Craster's Keep, although I wished Mormont would've been able to deliver his message about Jorah to Sam...quibbling aside, we'll hopefully get to see more of Sam in the coming weeks, in addition to Coldhands.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:48 am 

heavythisaxe wrote:
^ Agreed on all points...one of my favorite single episodes thus far...I also liked how the shit hit the fan at Craster's Keep, although I wished Mormont would've been able to deliver his message about Jorah to Sam...quibbling aside, we'll hopefully get to see more of Sam in the coming weeks, in addition to Coldhands.

Coldhands...that's going to be awesome.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 19 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next