Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song of Ice and Fire HBO series
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
I can't say having picked up and completed books 1 and 2 in the midst of the show has disappointed me. A lot of the casting is ridiculously spot on and they've got a really good handle on how to dish out exposition without making it confusing or tedious. Can't wait for the next episode.

I am with you there...it can't be the books verbatim, so the little changes they have made to the story line have been about 90% well done, which is way above my expectations and tolerance...same goes for casting...I am still getting used to Jon and Dany, but otherwise it's great...Tyrion, Robert, Arya and Cersei especially.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:48 pm 

I was avoiding saying anything that might spoil this episode having seen it about 6 days early on HBOGo.

The way they handled Robert's death was perfect, it was just as abrupt as the book.

Renly is an arrogant shit. God, that whole "Stannis isn't a king, I am." bit was just...Man that Loras is blowing smoke up Renly's cock.

In the books Renly was a well loved paper tiger, here it's even more obvious that he's not nearly as awesome as he thinks he is.

Joffery as King was amazing, such a little brat.

Can't wait to see how they pace the next few moves.

I gotta keep from posting anything that even hints at what is coming. I don't want to ruin it.

Just don't expect winter to come quickly, there's always an Autumn before a Winter. But it's clear Winter is coming.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 pm 

Geez, I don't think the foreshadowing at the beginning of episode 7 could have been more blatant.

I thought the Moon Door was in one of the walls, not the floor. I also thought the duel took place in a separate arena elsewhere in the Eyrie and not in the throne hall. The depiction of the interior of the Eyrie is probably might favorite setpiece so far. The look and mood of it is about as perfect as I could hope for. No snow in Winterfell is still bothering me.

I always pictured Hodor as being the tall, cart pusher (Danny, was his name?) from Hot Fuzz. That's the only casting choice that I really disagree with. I thought Tywin was a bit fatter as well, but perhaps not. I really hate Robert Arryn, but in a good way (like Viserys and Joffrey).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Iron Krullet wrote:
Did taskmaster kill the thread with his talk of illegal downloading? Whatta jerk.

It's a gift. And a curse. Mostly a curse. Also a gift.

And I agree, Jam8. Joffery as king was pretty great. The perfect spoiled kid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:25 am 

The guy who plays Tywin is fantastic. It's a rare scene to see on TV when an actor layers all the texture and weight that the character demands in such a short amount of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:08 am 

Crutch wrote:
The guy who plays Tywin is fantastic. It's a rare scene to see on TV when an actor layers all the texture and weight that the character demands in such a short amount of time.

Thats Fargo Numbspa from The Golden Child (hes the devil/demon villain in the Golden Child). Brilliant casting. Absolutely BRILLIANT casting. But seriously that guy is perfect.

I also think the guy playing the hound is great (The retard from Hot Fuzz) and I thought the guy that plays Syrio Forel (Arya's "dancing" instructor) is absolutely great.

The characters are all cast almost completely perfectly its really amazing even the small parts are almost perfect fits.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 am 

Golden Child, I knew I remembered him from something other than Last Action Hero. Charles Dance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Jam8 wrote:
Golden Child, I knew I remembered him from something other than Last Action Hero. Charles Dance.

Wow man, Last Action Hero. There's a title you don't see thrown around all that often. Soundtrack had my favorite Alice in Chains song of all time:

I might slow it down a little these days, but other than that, this song's just about perfect.

Sorry to get off topic, I had just forgotten that Tywin was in that movie. Good call on the Hound being from Hot Fuzz too. Quite an assemblage of stars Game of Thrones has going on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 pm 

Tonight's show was nothing short of riveting...glad to see Dinklage back in middle of the mix...what a great fucking actor...the scene where Khal Drogo ripped out the dude's throat out was beyond awesome...best (and only) throat ripping scene since Roadhouse...kidding aside, that dude's performance thus far has forced me to reconsider checking out the Conan remake...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 pm 

Even in small moments this show excels the shot of the ravens flying from Winterfell to call the banners to war was awesome. It's a shame the time and budget won't allow for the full depth and breadth of the war to be shown. The books flesh all this stuff out, this really is the spine of the story, the meat is in the books. Even knowing the plot from the show I think the books could be rewarding for those inclined.

Also, the Hill Tribe Mafia will fuck your shit up, cut off your cock and feed it to goats, and cut it off your ears and added to their ear necklace.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 pm 

Jam8 wrote:
Even in small moments this show excels the shot of the ravens flying from Winterfell to call the banners to war was awesome. It's a shame the time and budget won't allow for the full depth and breadth of the war to be shown. The books flesh all this stuff out, this really is the spine of the story, the meat is in the books. Even knowing the plot from the show I think the books could be rewarding for those inclined.

Also, the Hill Tribe Mafia will fuck your shit up, cut off your cock and feed it to goats, and cut it off your ears and added to their ear necklace.

This last episode made me giggle with fanboy glory. You are right; if you dig the show, you'll FUCKING love the books.

But bravo to this show. I feel this lot are more then up to the challenge. Especially in their casting decisions with a clear long view of the series.

Fuck yeah. Robb Stark is the man.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 am 

I haven't read the books but the show is just perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 am 

I think they've done a great job with the screenplay, the later books might prove to be more of a challenge when things get more disjointed. Casting is great too, but not sure about Cersei, her acting is mainly just squinting at people.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

My only worry with this show is that it's going to be too expensive for HBO to keep it going. Anyone remember Rome?

That show was great, but all that armor and all those extras and the sets and everything costs money, and if past is prologue, the second season is never as huge a deal as the first in terms of ratings, and I'd hate for the network to get knee-deep in the plots of the books and then pull the plug because the audience isn't there.

Rome, Carnivale, Deadwood. Been bitten before, you know?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:25 pm 

I don't know, the story itself doesn't get much 'larger' than it was in the last episode, and they skirted a lot of stuff (Did you see 18,000 Northmen? No, you say a few dozen, same goes for all those Lannister tents, Tyrion's band of hill folk included more people than Lannister men we actually see on those fields) and most of the story can be conveyed the way it has over the past season. You never see the tens of thousands of Dothraki in Khal Drogo's horde. But you've seen enough. And the Night's Watch is waning, having barely a thousand men total at three different posts. We've seen maybe 2 dozen.

There are only a couple of major battles depicted in the books anyway, most often from one or two characters' POV, very focused on them and their concerns. Many of the major plot shifts come in smaller scenes. If they continue as they have, I don't see how seasons 2 and 3 could be much more expensive than season 1. It's been beautiful sleight of hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:01 pm 

Jam8 wrote:
If they continue as they have, I don't see how seasons 2 and 3 could be much more expensive than season 1. It's been beautiful sleight of hand.

We'll have to see how this season wraps up but the battle at Blackwater could get pricey. Not to mention Daenerys is about to meet some new friends (wink wink) that will no doubt raise the price. Plus the direwolves get older......So I'm not as optimistic about that cost projection. But the numbers (ratings) are strong and that matters in next seasons budget.

But as of now, you're right. I'm impressed with what they have accomplished with a limited budget (however, not "limited" by TV standards because it's costly as is, in comparison to other television), but camera tricks will only get you so far as this story progresses I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:54 am 

Totally knew what was going to happen at the end of the last episode but I still got choked up all the same. Grimmm)))) stuff indeed.

I always pictured Shae as more of a bubbly, carefree sort. Didn't get that from the Frenchie on screen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 am 

"It Gets Grimmer" should be the tagline for season two. And season 3 should be "You Won't Believe This Shit."

Maybe "No One Is Safe".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:40 am 

I'm with Arz...even though I'm now read up and knew what was coming, I hid my sobbing eyes in my snuggie at the end...mucho praise for Sean Bean's performance...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:27 am 

heavythisaxe wrote:
I'm with Arz...even though I'm now read up and knew what was coming, I hid my sobbing eyes in my snuggie at the end...mucho praise for Sean Bean's performance...

I got more misty at the Night's Watch Oath on the show, have always found those words to be every effective, I don't know why, I think it's because I had the death spoiled for me, and it's impact was different, reading the book it was more emotional than seeing it, but even then I was thinking more about what would happen to Arya, and seeing it from the POV of the kids hearing about this. It was not a shock for me, it was sad, but I'd spent most of the book wondering when Ned would die and what the circumstances would be. By the time he got to Baelor's Sept I figured this must be it, some random attack or Joffery ends up being even more of a shit than I had thought.

Bean was pretty dead on there, noticing Arya, alerting Yoren, you get the sense he knew what was coming, or sure of Joffery being nothing more than a snotty little brat.

People really hate Joffery on Twitter, and it'll only get worse, the kid's a vile little shit.

And Sansa is easily the stupidest character in the books. Dumber than Hodor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 am 

Hodor! Hodor!

Hodor?

The Sansa chapters are frustrating (or I should say were up until the third book's twist), but lately I've been dreading the Arya ones as well. Sure, the adventure/journey with Beric doesn't flag, but she's as bad a whiner as her older, much more beleaguered sister.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:14 pm 

I don't mind whining so much as the rank stupidity Sansa constantly engages in. She's like a princess in a fairy tale who doesn't realize this isn't a fairy tale anymore. Even after watching her father get beheaded by her up until that point beloved little shit Joffery.

And I can't trust or like anyone who chooses a relative stranger over her blood. Lying for Joffery was pretty much the end of it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 pm 

Yeah, I hear ya, although I read Sansa's actions/reactions as a sort of defense mechanism, as if she's in a deep, deep state of shock. She rolled the dice with sending Ned to The Wall and lost big. After that's she's had nothing so it's been a perpetual state of "OMG! OMG! OMG!"

Still annoying, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:38 pm 

Sansa was a whiner from the start though, where as Arya has some pretty serious shit to deal with...

On a side note, I'm not convinced Syrio met his end...who's with me?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:34 pm 

No, I think Syrio's dead I think it's wishful thinking and kind of pointless and sucks some of the power from his sacrifice.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next