Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song of Ice and Fire HBO series
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Seems like it would be kind of anticlimactic after the Red Wedding, but maybe Joffrey's wedding for s04e09?

Maybe combine that with Tyrion leaving King's Landing?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:29 pm 

Apparently there is a term for Joffery's wedding the fans on the internet have coined: the purple wedding.

I think Stannis saving the day will be the episode 9 event in season 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:39 pm 

The "Purple Wedding"...i like the sound of that...funny and accurate!...looking forward to seeing more of Dontos - and his role in the dealio - next season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 pm 

Interesting note on GRRM's blog: http://grrm.livejournal.com/327569.html

Quote:
The HBO throne has become iconic. And well it might. It's a terrific design, and it has served the show very well. There are replicas and paperweights of it in three different sizes. Everyone knows it. I love it. I have all those replicas right here, sitting on my shelves.

And yet, and yet... it's still not right. It's not the Iron Throne I see when I'm working on THE WINDS OF WINTER. It's not the Iron Throne I want my readers to see. The way the throne is described in the books... HUGE, hulking, black and twisted, with the steep iron stairs in front, the high seat from which the king looks DOWN on everyone in the court... my throne is a hunched beast looming over the throne room, ugly and assymetric...

The HBO throne is none of those things. It's big, yes, but not nearly as big as the one described in the novels. And for good reason. We have a huge throne room set in Belfast, but not nearly huge enough to hold the Iron Throne as I painted it. For that we'd need something much bigger, more like the interior of St. Paul's Cathedral or Westminster Abbey, and no set has that much room. The Book Version of the Iron Throne would not even fit through the doors of the Paint Hall

^^ Pretty fucking cool painting. Makes me wish they would've rented the set they used in the Nolan Batman films to realize the book version of the throne.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:00 pm 

It's a nice day for a purple wedding.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 am 

Man, the Joffrey death scene couldn't have gone any better, IMO...one final temper tantrum of epic proportions followed immediately by a fitting and gruesome death...note to self: never die of asphyxiation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:53 pm 

Man, we're going through Ser Donto's role pretty quick, aren't we? Wraps it up in two to four episodes which spans over a book and a half.

Ditto on Bran. They're going to run out of track for him at this rate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm 

I thought Ilyn Payne was Jaime's sparring partner? And I thought Joffrey's death was later than this. And didn't the Reek stuff start in book 4? My mental timeline of the books is all fucked up. Not complaining, the season's been just fine so far, but I'm disheartened that my memories of the books are all out of whack after only 4 years. I'll chalk it up to my having mainlined them at a rate of a book per week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:54 am 

The show is going about things different from the books. Joffrey died pretty close to where they left off, though. As for the rest of it, like Reek and Bran nearly being at the end of their journeys in the books, I think they're going to drag that shit out so the other characters can catch up. We haven't seen Sam or Theon's sister do anything remarkable since last season, and some characters haven't been formally (re)introduced on screen yet. That might take a while.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:07 pm 

Bullio wrote:
I thought Ilyn Payne was Jaime's sparring partner?

I actually prefer Bronn as his sparring partner. Gives Jaime someone to talk to other than himself, which probably doesn't play all that well on screen. And it's someone cool to boot.

I wonder if they're hinting at a Loras/Oberyn affair, in which case I hope they go into how much those two houses hate each other. Lora's father Mace has a particular hatred for the Red Viper, but it involves a Tyrell that we haven't met (and will likely not meet) in the show. Anyway, it'll be a cool chance to explore the Tyrell/Martell rivalry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

heavythisaxe wrote:
Man, the Joffrey death scene couldn't have gone any better, IMO...one final temper tantrum of epic proportions followed immediately by a fitting and gruesome death...note to self: never die of asphyxiation.

This.

Crutch wrote:
Man, we're going through Ser Donto's role pretty quick, aren't we? Wraps it up in two to four episodes which spans over a book and a half.

I'm glad the Dontos stuff happened quickly. It kind of dragged on in the book and you have to figure they'll slow the pace later on when Sansa's story gets more interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:54 pm 

Crutch wrote:

Ditto on Bran. They're going to run out of track for him at this rate.

Not if they just invent new storylines, I guess.

At this point, they've departed pretty dang far from the spirit of the books.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:16 pm 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
Not if they just invent new storylines, I guess.

At this point, they've departed pretty dang far from the spirit of the books.

I dunno. I guess I can see that, but I won't say it's diverted that far from the spirit of the books. With Brans adventure, it's kind of cool to see what happened in Crasters after the mutiny because we only get updates in flashes of hearsay (or skin-changing). Same thing with Marg and Tommen's relationship. It was nice to actually see the spark rather than just listening to Cersei suspect it. Plus, that little bit at the end of last episode with the baby is what I assumed was going on with Craster to begin with. The books only hint at what the show flat out demonstrates.

So, yeah. There are major departures, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not within the same parameters as the book. At least the show is consistent with itself, if not the source material.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:21 am 

I don't know how to feel about the new series because I have read all the books. The story on the TV show has plot changes and personality changes. I understand that cause it's such a huge saga, you can't have every character, every breath represented. So I'm trying to look at both as separate entities.

Post subject: Song of Ice and Fire HBO series
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:49 pm 

Here are my issues right now. This white walker anticipation is getting out of hand. So far all we have seen basically is the fat kid killing one and them changing a baby into one. That fat kid didn't have much of a problem killing the white walker either. You keep hearing these stories about how bad they are but even the clumsy fat kid killed one. One of like the only 3 of them you've seen since the start. What gives?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:34 pm 

Demon Lung wrote:
Here are my issues right now. This white walker anticipation is getting out of hand. So far all we have seen basically is the fat kid killing one and them changing a baby into one. That fat kid didn't have much of a problem killing the white walker either. You keep hearing these stories about how bad they are but even the clumsy fat kid killed one. One of like the only 3 of them you've seen since the start. What gives?

I sort of feel like that's why they lifted the curtain on the White Walkers with Craster's kid, whereas the book leaves it a little more ambiguous. To remind the audience that there is still this threat they had to show them doing something. But yeah, at this point you know as much as I do about the White Walkers. I have a feeling that will all change when Bran heads towards the three-eyed raven (hint.)

Sam killed the White Walker because he had an obsidian dagger they found back in Season 2. That's the irony, it wasn't truly Sam that slew the Other, it was the dragon glass. At least that's how he sees it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:30 pm 

I realize everything about the obsidian dragon blade. But the fat guy did kill the white walker. To say the blade did is like saying guns kill people not people .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:12 pm 

Demon Lung wrote:
I realize everything about the obsidian dragon blade. But the fat guy did kill the white walker. To say the blade did is like saying guns kill people not people .

Well I would say that, but that's me.

But anyway, I see your point. As scary as these motherfuckers are supposed to be, we haven't seen them do much of anything. But it's like Jaws, you delay showing the beast until necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:05 pm 

One thing I did like is how they let Oberyn get his justice from the mountain before dying. It would be right if the mountain survived. That was the best episode yet this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:23 pm 

They really bumped up the timeline on Bran's storyline. So they're either not going to address it all next season, or this is going to be the first instance of the show jumping ahead of the books. I guess Coldhands isn't going to show up?

The stuff with The Hound is a change I'm perfectly fine with. They'll have to rework Brienne's plot, but they were probably going to do that anyway. Lady Stoneheart was MIA, and it sounds like it wasn't even a consideration for this season, so who knows when or even if they'll incorporate that into the show. It's barely a thing in the books as it is.

Losing all of the stuff with the bandit gang and the "is he or isn't he dead?" with The Hound that was going on in Feast wouldn't play out well on TV either. The TV audience knows Sandor's dead, and casting that into doubt would pointlessly cheapen a fantastic scene between him and Arya. The TV audience won't remember anyone in the bandit gang well enough to be emotionally invested in the confrontation with Brienne, and honestly it wasn't even all that memorable of a plot detail in the book. I had to look up who was even in that bandit gang, and I don't even remember if any of those characters were introduced in the show. Plus The Hound hasn't had his helm since he left King's Landing, so it's not even a thing someone could find at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:10 am 

I'm definitely not the biggest fan of this show but it's fun throwaway soap opera drama keeps me coming back. The final couple of episodes this season fell kinda flat for me. Of-course I figured somebody would smuggle Tyrion out of the dungeon before any harm was done.. the only real shock being Tywin getting shot with a crossbow on the shitter seems lackluster in comparison to previous finales. It was more-so a setting of the table than a conclusion of events which I'm fine with but it didn't make for amazing television.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:13 pm 

"With a thousand eyes and one."

Would it kill them to give Brynden Rivers only one eye?

Also, we blew right passed the whole Tysha reveal with Jaime (and the subsequent Lancel reveal from Tyrion).

These next seasons are the show's true challenge. Trying to make the last two books practical and dramatic will be a challenge. I imagine they're going to mess with the timelines of people like Tyrion.

I almost wished they would've saved 'Stannis to the rescue' until next season and included Stoneheart. It didn't have to be the reveal from the books, but only a taste.

Overall, I'm happy with the finale. I guess we're going to spend a lot of time with Bran learning his 'powers.'

Brienne vs the Hound (and the previous back and forth between Brienne and Arya) is one of those moments where it wasn't in the books but I wish it were. Because that was bad ass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:05 pm 

The kick in the cunt was a nice touch!

A bad season for the Lannisters! I haven't read the books, but I spoiler myself on wikipedia (it's not THAT great of a story) and I'm kind of sad to see Tyrion's character arc essentially end. At least as far as politcal/family intriuge goes. The Tyrion arc (and Peter Dinklage) have been by far the most entertaining element of the series for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:01 am 

Mr Red wrote:
The kick in the cunt was a nice touch!

If this was SR.com and we were still living in the glory days, that'd be my sig. Now I can't be bothered.

I don't mind the deviations from the book - I certainly don't expect the show to march in lockstep with them. I think in a couple of instances, they've done a remarkable job trimming the fat (ex: Danaery's long slog through learning how to govern, which is a fucking snore and a half in the books; also Bran's journey to root world). Sometimes I think they need to deviate more, or try not to cram so much into each episode. It's still overstuffed with exposition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:18 pm 

Apparently the Sansa/Ramsey Bolton set-up by Littlefinger wasn't ever part of the books? It's kind of funny that the TV series will (apparently?) be passing the books next season.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next