Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Vudu, CinemaNow - any experience with 'em?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:14 am 

Got a LG Blu-Ray player a couple of months back and we've been using it mainly for NetFlix and the occasional DVD (no Blu-Ray discs yet). The online interface has links to Vudu and CinemaNow, but I haven't really checked them out, except to find out that one's owned by Wal-Mart and one by Best Buy and in both cases you can stream and download movies.

So has anyone used these? Or are you all just grabbing free movies off of bit torrents?

Post subject: Re: Vudu, CinemaNow - any experience with 'em?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 pm 

Why haven't you watched a Blu-ray disc yet? If you have a decent TV that is 1080p and an HDMI cable, it's the only way to watch movies. We stream off of Netflix all the time, but we also get the 2 movies at a time mail option and all we watch are blu-ray discs. We probably watch 6 or 8 Blu-Rays a month. In terms of quality, there is no comparison. The streaming stuff is nice. DVD's can be upscaled and look pretty good. But once you see uncompressed, full HD quality entertainment at it's proper frame rate, you will be in love with your setup.

Sorry for the rant. No I don't have experience with those other two streaming services but they don't hold a candle to the disc. At some point, they might catch up, but right now it's too bandwidth intensive to push those streaming movies and make them look comparable to a BR disc. Just can't happen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:22 pm 

Rant taken, but still:

1. Haven't found a movie on Blu Ray worth purchasing (although I'll probably pick up Toy Story 3 sometime soon).
2. Even if I found a movie on Blu Ray worth purchasing (Oh, hello there, Toy Story 3), I haven't had the money to buy any (budget-wise, movies are way down on the list).
3. Repurchase movies already owned on DVD? Uh, no.
4. NetFlix queue is currently 90% classic Dr Who, which is not on Blu Ray. We watch about one movie a month, if lucky.
5. As for upping the Netflix monthly subscription by a dollar or two so I can get available Blu Ray discs, see points 2 and 4.

Oh, and TV is 780, so there's also that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm 

Well, that there pretty much negates my whole tirade.

Arzgarth wrote:
Oh, and TV is 780, so there's also that.

I've bought two blu-rays so far (Disney) but won't buy anymore. I think I'm pretty much rental/streaming from now on unless it's something I absolutely must have. I like that Toy Story 3 though so that might be the last one.

The Netflix has changed the way the wife and I watch the tube. Or the "flat panel", if I may. I think for the better. We love movies but I have become sort of anti-theater in the last few years just because of the ridiculous prices and annoying audience members. Unless its something that has to be seen on the big screen, like Avatar, I'm sitting on the couch and renting or streaming.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:54 pm 

Yeah, I hear ya. One kid curtailed going out to movies. The second has pretty much killed it. That and there's really nothing out there that's worth seeing in the theater (we had the option recently and couldn't find anything worth seeing). Streaming movies or TV shows on the idiot panel is far better. And I have the luxury of falling asleep halfway through as well.

Next year I upgrade the TV. This one (a free one, I might add, less you think I'm some sort of electronically uneducated rube) is going in the basement. Then you can say "I told you so!"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:39 pm 

You bring up a great point. That whole falling asleep on the couch option is extremely valuable at our advanced age. I use it often, and the wife uses it constantly, usually within 15 minutes of intro credits.

Hey...a free 720 panel is usually better than a full price 1080p panel. In fact, I would take that deal hands down. Are you thinking about doing a 3D TV as the next one?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]