Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: Archer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

This might be the best cartoon on television right now.

No real competition at this point from Adult Swim. Simpsons obviously isn't what it used to be, Family Guy neither. South Park is still good, and American Dad is good, but not in that "if I miss an episode I feel like I'm gonna die" kind of way. Bob's Burgers is going to be cool if it gets the chance to really develop, but I think Archer wins out.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Archer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:45 pm 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
This might be the best cartoon on television right now.

No real competition at this point from Adult Swim. Simpsons obviously isn't what it used to be, Family Guy neither. South Park is still good, and American Dad is good, but not in that "if I miss an episode I feel like I'm gonna die" kind of way. Bob's Burgers is going to be cool if it gets the chance to really develop, but I think Archer wins out.

Thoughts?

hear, hear. too bad we've never discussed this in person.

I think south park is the only thing that really could still be on its game enough to be better, but they've been a little hit or miss last few seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed. South Park hasn't really hit the mark the last season or two. You still get stuff like the creme freche song, but it's fewer and farther between than it used to be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:02 pm 

on the adult swim note, I really dug childrens' hospital, though obviously not animated. Lots of great talent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 pm 

Fucking love Archer. Another FX excellent show is The League. I'm not a huge sports guy (hockey is it for me) but this show is excellent, ties in with Archer well enough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 pm 

It fills the void in my heart that Frisky Dingo left me with when it only wound up having two seasons.

As far as other quality animated shows, anyone for Squidbillies? Superjail?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm up for Squidbillies, though skeptical to see if they can keep up the quality for the next season. That show rules though. I have about 40 episodes on my DVR.

And Frisky Dingo was great for the first season. Second one jumped the shark something fierce. That whole political thing didn't do it for me. Can't go wrong with the people who did Sealab 2021 though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:01 pm 

I think the majority of Adult Swim has kinda lost it, Squidbillies included. Venture Brothers is still enjoyable.

I watched the first couple episodes of Archer and it seemed like a one trick pony, so I stopped watching it. Caught the episode last week with the actress shadowing the one spy, and thought it was pretty good. Probably start watching it again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 pm 

lftwng4 wrote:
I think the majority of Adult Swim has kinda lost it, Squidbillies included. Venture Brothers is still enjoyable.

I watched the first couple episodes of Archer and it seemed like a one trick pony, so I stopped watching it. Caught the episode last week with the actress shadowing the one spy, and thought it was pretty good. Probably start watching it again.

forgot about the venture brothers. easily the best thing AS has going for it at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:58 am 

reefer wrote:
It fills the void in my heart that Frisky Dingo left me with when it only wound up having two seasons.

As far as other quality animated shows, anyone for Squidbillies? Superjail?

Love me some squibillies, provides the laugh. Superjail satisfies my gore lust my like cannibal corpse or gwar does.

Anyone for Drinky the Crow?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:37 am 

Archer is my favorite animated show right now. Metalocalypse is second, HOWEVER in my opinion the best show on adult swim is Eagleheart.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 pm 

Everyone is telling me what a great animated show Archer is.... so I watched it.

Its an okay radio show disguised as animation. No really, turn away from the tv and listen to it and tell me if you're missing anything. Maybe 2, or 3 visual gags that are horrendously put together will slip by you, but for the most part I'm saving you from the horrendously average art and the abhorrent animation.
I remain UNimpressed. A cartoon has to offer more than a never ending stream of snappy dialogue. Archer would be better if it was a fucking puppet show.

Venture Brothers is the best show on AS, with a close, close, second going to SuperJail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 pm 

I couldn't stand Children's Hospital. Un-fucking-watchable.

Horns, I think you're right about it not being a particularly visually interesting show, but I don't really mind that. I'm rarely doing just one thing anyway, so I don't mind a tv show that I can just listen to---and I love that snappy dialogue!
I also don't care for puppet shows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

HORNS wrote:
A cartoon has to offer more than a never ending stream of snappy dialogue.

Just because a cartoon can offer more doesn't mean it necessarily needs to. I'm a fan of good writing and comic rhythm, so for me, it works out just fine as it is. And I think there are probably some things on that show you probably wouldn't be able to get away with if it was live action -- at least not on the kind of budget they have behind it now. Snowmobiling through the Alps with a topless 17 year old comes to mind as an example.

Not looking to start an argument, just trying to explain where I'm coming from in my original assessment.

And yes, Venture Bros. is badass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 pm 

Im with HORNS on this one..Archer is meh and the animation is pretty bad. Not getting the praise at all. tried it again tonight, and flipped it to Pawn Stars reruns after about 15 minutes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:57 pm 

I think Archer is the funniest thing going on T.V. right now and may stay that way until Simon Pegg and Nick Frost get a U.S. t.v. piolt.......Just Sayin'........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 pm 

One of my favorite shows on TV right now, but I can sort of see why people might not be into it. Definitely the most consistently funny cartoon on TV, though I'm hesitant to say it's the funniest cartoon on TV because when South Park hits the mark it can't be topped.

Louie's the funniest show on TV right now, though.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]