Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 48 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:08 am 

City of Death is great. Robots of Death, Pyramids of Mars, Genesis of the Daleks or Warriors Gate are Tom Baker and DW at it's best too. It's good lo-fi atmosphere. Every Doctor has several good stories but Tom Baker is generally the best for most.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:18 am 

Evil Sontarian:

Beady-eyed evil.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:50 pm 

Took me a little while to get through the first season of the new series, but about halfway through it I started getting sucked in and then was completely absorbed with Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. Absolutely wonderful show that's right in my wheelhouse. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that felt like it was as pure, unadulterated sci-fi as this is. Some episodes were certainly stronger than others, almost all of the two-parters stand out in memory as being really strong, but after marathoning roughly 6 seasons (last half of season 1 up to The Bells of Saint John) over the course of 2.5 weeks memories of episodes tend to run together. Tennant years were definitely my favorites, with season 4 probably being my absolute favorite. The show definitely lost something when he and Davies left, and the transition to higher quality effects and cinematography was a little jarring. Everything was suddenly slicker and more produced once Moffat and Smith took over. Not bad, necessarily, just...different. Though I think the overall consistency of the stories dropped some after the transition, but not because of anything Smith is doing as the Doctor. I'm definitely going to check out the classic stuff, but not until the current season is over. After marathoning 6.5 seasons of this and 4 seasons of Fringe I need a break from sci-fi.

Anyway, The Rings of Akhaten was my first "live" episode, and was kind of underwhelming. Really, really enjoyed tonight's episode though. I found it refreshing to watch something that, so far at least, felt like a standalone story that wasn't part of some grand arc but also wasn't just a filler episode. They sure do love casting GoT cast members as guests in this series, don't they?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 pm 

Bullio wrote:
They sure do love casting GoT cast members as guests in this series, don't they?

Not to mention the whole "winter is coming," from the snowman baddie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:18 pm 

"Introducing Peter Capaldi as...The Doctor"

Not really familiar with his body of work, though I do sort of recognize him and I guess he's pretty well accomplished as an actor. I like the idea of people that got into the franchise with the new series, like myself, finally having their own older Doctor. Bet we'll be see a tonal shift to a bit more dark and serious stories. Genuinely excited by the news.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:49 am 

I highly recommend The Thick of it. Prime example of Capldi molding an iconic character. I think he can be one of the great Doctors. Good on him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:06 am 

The guys is PERFECTLY cast as the Doctor. An accomplished actor with range, great intensity, and just the perfect amount of crazy(its got to be the perfect amount - the amount that Tim Baker injected into the role). Lost of noble efforts at trying to get it right during the modern era of Dr. Who, but I think this is going to be the best one yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:27 am 

"We've fucking time traveled, yes?"@ 1:34

And also, for fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:43 am 

HORNS wrote:
The guys is PERFECTLY cast as the Doctor. An accomplished actor with range, great intensity, and just the perfect amount of crazy(its got to be the perfect amount - the amount that Tim Baker injected into the role). Lost of noble efforts at trying to get it right during the modern era of Dr. Who, but I think this is going to be the best one yet.

I don't know anything about the guy but the praise being heaped upon him, his age (I liked Matt Smith but couldn't shake his youthful twee-ness), as well as those random clips from the cussing government show, have me looking forward to the next season. Provided it gets less Steve Moffaty, that is.

Still, David Tennant set the bar. If nothing else, for the flat out True Doom ending to "Family of Blood."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:48 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
Provided it gets less Steve Moffaty, that is.

I hate to say it too, but I think this is my only concern moving forward with the new Doctor Who. Generally speaking, the Matt Smith years (through no fault of Smith himself) have been a little too focused on the Doctors' romantic hang ups rather than forcing the Doctor to make a choice about something. Moffat has had some strong episodes under his reign, but I'm hoping that someone like Capaldi will allow him to do more stuff with the Doc that's less swooning over some chick.

I will say once the Ponds departed the show, the quality of the episodes did improve slightly. Not that I didn't like Amy and Rory, it's just that it got to the point where there was nothing more they could really do with them (except "kill" them off.) I view that as a positive going forward as well for Capaldi.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:33 am 

So something like this, then?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:47 pm 

Paul McGann came back. I like how they're squaring the circle on this so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:35 pm 

Never saw the Paul McGann Doctor Who movie but it's in the Netflix queue. Apparently everything in the above mini-episode is from the radio serials he did.

Tom Baker also went on the record saying he's part of the big show too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:47 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
Never saw the Paul McGann Doctor Who movie but it's in the Netflix queue.

You'll see Sylvester McCoy did not quite get the dignified exit McGann got.

I'm not a fan of it, but it's hard to ignore the McGann movie as it is the 'missing link' between the modern iteration and the vintage stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:34 pm 

That was me. Bravo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 pm 

yeah, that was pretty god damned awesome. Much, much better than I was expecting.

http://i.imgur.com/3FZH3Ae.jpg

"The Doctor does have a name, and it is Malcolm fucking Tucker. Cunts."

I've never seen the Doctor look so sinister. I'd totally be okay with Capaldi's Doctor being a more mature, wiser, hard ass type. It'd be a nice change of pace from the more upbeat ones we've had since the series rebooted. So excited for what's to come.

EDIT: And if you haven't seen it, check out The Five(Ish) Doctors Reboot after watching the anniversary special. It's a half hour comedy written and directed by Davison about the classic Doctors's efforts of trying to get into the special, with some fantastic guest appearances.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:12 am 

Thanks for sharing that Davidson project. I've been on Who overload and especially since the BBC amped up this episode to nuclear levels, it hasn't been all that difficult.

Capaldi's glare = FTW. He's going to be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:38 pm 

If you like Doctor Who, go to the "Rick & Morty" thread and watch the pilot episode I just posted. I know, I know, I'm potentially sullying a Doctor Who thread by promoting another show. You can be mad at me... but you won't be after you watch the "Rick & Morty" pilot. You'll be thanking me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:19 pm 

It was as perfect episode of Doctor Who as I've seen from any era. Haven't been this stoked for the Doctor in a long time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:44 pm 

Capaldi scared the shit out of me with that stare. Smith leaving is sad and all, but I'm more excited about Capaldi taking over than I am sad about Smith leaving. He's coming in with a clean slate and none of the baggage Moffat straddled Smith's run with, and I'm hoping the change is as much of a refreshment for the creative team as it is the character itself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:27 pm 

Bullio wrote:
Capaldi scared the shit out of me with that stare.

Yeah. Matt Smith was a fine Doctor. He was the Doctor at his most idealistic. But yeah, I'm more excited for Capaldi than I am about Smith hanging it up. Wasn't quite as emotional as when David Tennant left, but was still a classy exit for Smith. I liked how he just snapped into Capaldi. Didn't even give a chance to give that last wave.

See you in Fall fucking 2014. Lazy fucking BBC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:27 pm 

Yep. I'm a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:00 am 

The Lodger wrote:
It was as perfect episode of Doctor Who as I've seen from any era. Haven't been this stoked for the Doctor in a long time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

But still i am finding the reason

Pediatric Dentist in dubai

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 48 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2