Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm 

So....What do we think?

I think the fact that it at least meets expectations of Breaking Bad is a really positive sign of things to come from this show.

Post subject: Re: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:25 am 

It is going to be good, but I just like it, not love it so far. It'll definitely be lighter than Breaking Bad. I don't like the Mike character introduction so far at all. They'll need a really good plot explanation as to why he is doing what he is in this so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 am 

I've got to say, I like the movie motif. It's blatant but subtle. It shows a self-awareness that Breaking Bad never needed, but Better Call Saul can't avoid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:11 am 

Glad to see the Mike story-line is going to be focal point of next week's episode.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:06 am 

Jimmy in the Matlock suit was fucking hysterical.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:41 pm 

Been enjoying this a lot more than I thought I might. I expected the show to toss a couple nods to Breaking Bad, like that certain person that showed up at the end of the pilot. It seems to have already moved on from that shtick though, which is absolutely fine with me. The show really needs to become it's own thing to survive and have a chance at being great, and so far it seems to be heading in the right direction.

Mike being a toll troll under a bridge just seems fitting to me. The interactions between him and Jimmy have been some of the funniest bits I've seen on TV in awhile. But yes, I'm really looking forward to this week's episode and seeing what's in store for him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:18 pm 

Well, that "5-0" episode was a fucking bulldozer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:12 am 

Yeah, that was outstanding. It brought the show from just being "good" to "really, really fucking good." Mike and Gus, when he arrives, will definitely bring the heaviness that BB brought, which should serve as cool interludes to Jimmy's usual antics. Great episode.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:49 pm 

I think Mike's backstory highlights the struggle of Jimmy too. These are two guys who are going to great lengths of going on the straight and narrow, but for one reason or another, those attempts fall short. It's the reverse of Breaking Bad. Mike and Jimmy are trying to normalize their respective "Bad" pasts to try to break good. However, for Breaking Bad fans, we know that this isn't going to work out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:05 am 

I think it's more of not being able to escape what you are. The die has long been cast for Mike and this is more of a case of his past catching up with him. And Jimmy has apparently "always" been a con-artist. With BB, we saw a complete character arc transformation with Walter. It's cool they're showing both Mike and Jimmy as generally good guys with strong moral fiber/loyalty to their family, but you really kind of gathered that from the original series. It'll be really interesting to see how the Gustavo origin plays itself out (assuming we get to see it, but who are they kidding? He is the greatest heavy in the last couple decades of cinema/television history).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:23 pm 

Really good episode.

Not for nothing, but I caught something interesting. Minor spoilers to follow:

We learned from Mike that Nacho's first name is Ignacio. Well, not for nothing, but in the Breaking Bad Episode "Better Call Saul," when Walt and Pinkman kidnap Saul in the desert, Saul pleads: "It wasn't me! It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! Ignacio!" I get the feeling that Nacho's plans are going to go tits up thanks to Saul.

Just a thought.

I'm more than impressed with this show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:34 pm 

I think it's already managed to separate itself from out under BB's shadow, which is pretty damned impressive. Especially considering how well regarded BB is. It's one of my most anticipated hours of TV in the week, and I'm glad I don't have to worry about a renewal order.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:21 pm 

The last episode was a little flat, but the three or four before it were flat out brilliant and around the same quality of the best Breaking Bad seasons. I'm definitely in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:37 pm 

I agree that finale was pretty tepid. Still closed out the season/story well enough, but it was just deflating from the previous episode.

I wasn't a huge fan of the very last scene. Felt like it was an easy way to rope Mike into the close, but I felt we had established what Jimmy was going to do in the prior scene where he's walking up to the courthouse and pauses, fidgets with Marco's ring and freezes. Could've cut to black from there and I would've gotten the exact same message of "Never again."

Still, fantastic show. Exceeding expectations in many ways. Expands the Breaking Bad world without retreading the same ideas.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]